Rank players by skating ability

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think some of the 5's are just being tossed out because they're fast, good skaters. Kreider's edge work isn't a 5 in my opinion, neither is Gilmour, or Skjei. They might be a 4 because they're great at one and good at the other, but not great at both.

It depends how we are judging it. And there are some players like Shattenkirk, Buchnevich, Hayes whose skating might move up if its about how the skating plays in-games as opposed to pure speed.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
McDavid - category unto his own
Nurse - 5
RNH - 4
Draisaitl - 4
Caggiula - 3.5
Kassian - 3.5
Larsson - 3
Puljujarvi - 3
Russell - 3
Last year’s version of Klefbom - 3
Strome - 2.5
Rattie 2.5
Benning - 2.5
Khaira - 2.5
Bear 2.5
Slepyshev - 2
Cammalleri - 1.5
Last year’s version of Sekera - 1
Pakarinen - 1
Lucic - minus 4000

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Ovechkin - 2/3
Kuznetsov - 5
Wilson - 3
Stephenson - 4
Backstrom - 2
Oshie - 1/2
Connolly - 3
Eller - 4
DSP - 2
Vrana - 4/5
Beagle - 2/3
Chiasson - 2

Orlov - 4
Niskanen - 2/3
Kempny - 3
Carlson - 3/4
Orpik - 2
Djoos - 3

Kuznetsov is the only one who has great speed and edgework. Stephenson and especially Vrana are fast but don't have that sort of agility. Orlov isn't as fast as those two but makes up for it by being great on his edges. Also, I ranked these relative to positions, meaning Oshie is slower relative to other forwards than Orpik is slower relative to other defensemen.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
5- Zucker, Brodin
4- Spurgeon, Dumba, Coyle(?), Ek
3- Suter, Seeler, Granlund, Nino, Staal, Winnik, Foligno, Ennis, Cullen, Parise
4- Koivu
5- Prosser

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Scores unavailable for Senators players because coach views rest as a weapon. So they did lots of resting during games this year.

But seriously,

Karlsson: 5
Duchene, Hoffman, Chabot: 4, maybe 4.5 (can we give half scores?)
everyone else: 3 or 2.

Sens don't have any brutal skaters. Just brutal coaching, goaltending, and forward depth.

Which we will address by giving Colorado a 1st round pick in 2019

All part of the plan.

Sens playoffs 2024!! WOOOO! Buckle Up!
Bobby Ryan..?

Reactions: JungleBeat

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
5: Byron, Mete, Reilly
4: Pacioretty, Scherbak, Petry, de la Rose
3: Hudon, Lekhonen, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Juulsen, Drouin, Danault, Carr
2: Weber, Shaw, Benn, McCarron
1: Alzner, Deslauriers, Rychel

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Maatta might be the slowest skater in the league.

Hawks:
Saad - 3
Toews - 3
Hinostroza - 4 (great speed)
DeBrincat - 2
Schmaltz - 3
Kane - 4 (super agile)
Duclair - 4
Anisimov - 2
Sharp - 2 (age)
Jurco - 3
Kampf - 2 (very average at everything)
Hayden - 2

Keith - 2 (age)
Oesterle - 2
Gustafsson - 2
Seabrook - 1
Rutta - 2
Murphy - 3 (good for a big guy)
Forsling - 2

I tried to use the whole scale, but they don't currently have the kind of speedsters like what Stalberg and Leddy were. Or Tony Salmelainen. Hinostroza is probably closest, he could be a 4.5.

Keith a 2? He was regarded as one of the best skaters in the league a few years ago

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
It’s crazy cause I grew up playing with Gilmour and while a good skater he was never amongst the elite. Crazy how he’s so fast now.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
5: Point Gourde Johnson Peca
4: Hedman Kucherov Koekkoek Cirelli
3: Stamkos Palat Miller McDonagh Stralman Sergachev Conacher
2: Killorn Kunitz Paquette Coburn Sustr Erne
1: Callahan Girardi Dotchin

Idk this is tough

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
You are asking two different questions. For instance Getzlaf skates well, but his top speed is a bit below average while his quickness is brutal.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Overall though:

5: Cogliano, Kase, Brown, Fowler, Montour
4: Chimera, Lindholm, Silfverberg
3: Rakell, Kesler, Henrique, Manson, Vermette
2: Grant, Getzlaf, Bieksa, Holzer
1: Perry, Ritchie, Beauchemin

Last edited:

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
5 - Dunn / Tarasenko / Fabbri
4- Bouwmeester / Schwartz / Parayko
3 - Steen / Edmundson / Bortuzzo / Thompson / Soshnikov / Schenn / Pietrangelo / Upshall
2 - Brodziak / Jaskin / Barbashev / Berglund / Gunnarsson / Sundqvist / Sobotka
1 - Thorburn / Butler

It's kinda tough putting them on such a small scale but this was my best attempt. Obviously there are some guys in the league who are on another level like Mackinnon and McDavid.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
We’ll agree to disagree.

Edgework to me, is balanced agility and shiftiness, and Crosby does that with more power and precision than anyone else.. his ability to apply it, changing directions and using his lower body. He’s second to none. I’m hard pressed to even find a comparable. Jeff Skinner is one that comes to mind, but he has nowhere near the power and strength that Sid has.

I really don’t recall anyone being better at using their feet and lower half to their advantage in so many different situations like Crosby does.

He has more practical advantages in more situations, and I value that above all else.
Great post! Skating is not just speed.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
5: Eichel, Guhle
4:Baptiste, Bailey, Mittelstadt, Erod
3:Girgensons, Wilson, Nelson, Antipin, Beaulieu
2: Okposo, Reinhart, ROR, Pouliot, Nolan, Larsson, Risto, Scandella, Bogosian, McCabe
1: Pominville

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
crosby is definitely a 4, Good speed, Great edgework

Just like Subban, His elite edgework makes it look like he has elite speed, don't get me wrong he's above average but his speed is not in the elite tier

Oh and yeah Crosby > Subban edgework, just in case people start freaking out, Subban still does have elite edgework!

Crosby is a lot more explosive than Subban, not even comparable.

Crosby isn't McDavid fast, but he's well above average as an overall package.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
thats exacly why i say he's a 4.

Good speed, great edge.

Crosby arguably has the best overall package when it comes to skating. I'd only have McDavid and maybe Barzal ahead.

So really, if Crosby is a 4, there really isn't a whole lot of 5s in the league. And his speed isn't just good, he's explosive as hell when he has to be. He's just someone that likes to slow the game down and wait for support on the offense as opposed to a McDavid going all in and trying to beat everyone on his own.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Crosby arguably has the best overall package when it comes to skating. I'd only have McDavid and maybe Barzal ahead.

So really, if Crosby is a 4, there really isn't a whole lot of 5s in the league. And his speed isn't just good, he's explosive as hell when he has to be. He's just someone that likes to slow the game down and wait for support on the offense as opposed to a McDavid going all in and trying to beat everyone on his own.
Well i just have a different opinion. i realy don't think he has elite speed, he has the best edge in the game wich makes him one or the best overall skater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad