Friedman: Rangers will listen on McDonagh and Zuccarello

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Thought this was interesting enough out of Friedman's 31 thoughts to have its own thread and get away from that fire sale crap.

Does Zuccarello's extra year on a cheapish deal make him the most attractive winger that's potentially available?
Wow Rags listening on Mcdonagh...his stock must have fell.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Wow Rags listening on Mcdonagh...his stock must have fell.

No, it's that the Rangers aren't particularly good and are only in a wild card spot because Lundqvist has been playing really well. How many wins they rack up over the next couple of weeks will probably be the deciding factor on whether or not they seriously consider moving McD or Zucc.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Frederic, Vaakanainen, 1st

I do that deal, too. Its not a small amount to give up, obviously, but its from places the Bruins have depth (JFK and Donato up the middle and Zboril, Lauzon, Lindgren at LD). Not to mention Bergeron, Krejci, Spooner, Chara, Krug and (then) McD at the NHL level.

If you do this, it means that either McD is a 18 month rental, or you move on from one of Krug, Krejci or Backes in the summer of McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen and McD needing new deals.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I don't think they can afford to move Carlo in the long run. They have no RHD in the system. McAvoy and Carlo should just stick in Boston as the top 2 RD for a long time.

If they're getting McD back they can move Carlo.

Having McD on the left and McAvoy on the right would be an incredible top pairing for the future.

Then Chara can play shutdown D on the second pairing with basically anyone.

Gotta give to get.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Having McD on the left and McAvoy on the right would be an incredible top pairing for the future.

Gotta give to get.

I think there are plenty of non-Carlo packages to be put together, though. Its not like NYR NEEDS a RD specifically.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

Gotta give to get.
Bringing him to Boston would be a no-brainer, he is a stud on D

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Ryan McDonagh and Rick Nash (50% retained) for 2018 Toronto 1st Round Pick, Timothy Liljegren, Kasperi Kapanen & cap fillers to make deal possible

leafs dont have a roster spot available for nash and i cant see them moving lilegren like at all.

i understand that you need to give to get but i also dont think toronto is in a position to move those types of pieces.

i think maybe something like gardiner OR zaitsev, kapanen, 1st would be in the range toronto would be comfortable with. if rangers want more it will be with a different team.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
leafs dont have a roster spot available for nash and i cant see them moving lilegren like at all.

i understand that you need to give to get but i also dont think toronto is in a position to move those types of pieces.

i think maybe something like gardiner OR zaitsev, kapanen, 1st would be in the range toronto would be comfortable with. if rangers want more it will be with a different team.

I think I would make that move with Toronto for McD.......zaitsev, kapanen, 1st

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Sure. Same with 90% of the league. But, its not the ONLY need.

Might give you the inside track on getting McDonagh though. If the Rangers could land a RHD they felt had top-pairing potential in return for McDonagh, they'd probably prefer that to a bunch of futures. My own opinion of Carlo not withstanding, I think any rebuild they enter into will be of the 1-2 year variety, not some long-term plan.

That all being said, I've mentioned a few times on the Rangers board that Boston makes a lot of sense, but they also have a lot of LHD in the system and their youth movement might be a bit ahead of schedule. So for that reason maybe they hold out another year before making a big trade.

Reactions: wintersej

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think I would make that move with Toronto for McD.......zaitsev, kapanen, 1st
You spelled Liljegren wrong. It doesn’t start with a Z.

If Leafs insist on a defender other than Liljegren it needs to be Dermott and the Leafs need to add more.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would be curious about what the Rangers could get from Vegas for McDonagh. They were obviously very high on Suzuki during the draft; maybe he would be a centerpiece in such a deal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Thats one of our biggest holes and needs
The Rangers only need a top pair RHD don’t know if that is Carlo or not, but if he was on the table the Rangers would certainly have to listen.

The Rangers have a lot of RHD but none are top pairing caliber and most of them are offense first puck mover types. Carlo would be something different. Don’t love the scheme fit but hate the current coaching staff in NY. Who knows.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No. I'll tell you, like we've been telling Mon, Philly, and Ott fans. We are not trading Thomas. He fits on organizational need that we cannot lose.
I would think Kyrou would be the piece the Rangers would want over Thomas. I would want more than Kyrou though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Want nothing to do with Carlo.

At some point, the Rangers have to start moving away from high corsi against. That's the problem. It's been the problem for years.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Want nothing to do with Carlo.

At some point, the Rangers have to start moving away from high corsi against. That's the problem. It's been the problem for years.
I’m not a huge Carlo guy.m, but he obviously has a lot of value.

I’m also not a huge Corsi guy, but I want defensemen that don’t act like the puck is a grenade when it’s on their stick though. That would be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad