Friedman: Rangers will listen on McDonagh and Zuccarello

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As with most of the other big names, I'll be shocked if they are moved before draft day.
I could see a team like Arizona capitalizing on a deadline deal bidding war on OEL....but i can't see the Rangers moving any big pieces while being in a playoff position.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I could see a team like Arizona capitalizing on a deadline deal bidding war on OEL....but i can't see the Rangers moving any big pieces while being in a playoff position.
If they continue to play defense like last game in the 5-1 victory we might reach playoffs even without Kreider, but we have a hard schedule the next month.

Reactions: Liferleafer

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I love how we should trade McDonagh, but a guy like Kreider should absolutely not be traded... I don't really get what people think Kreider is going to suddenly turn into. He's far from untouchable.
What? What is he supposed to "turn into"? He's already our best forward and only 25. Have you not noticed the massive difference in play from the team since he's been out? He's also under contract for 3 more years at an incredibly affordable price.

I wouldn't move him unless we got something completely nuts in return.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
What? What is he supposed to "turn into"? He's already our best forward and only 25. Have you not noticed the massive difference in play from the team since he's been out? He's also under contract for 3 more years at an incredibly affordable price.

Kreider is 26, getting ready to turn 27.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

He is not our best forward. He's under contract for 2 more years and he turns 27 in April.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't even think it's arguable, he's clearly our best forward. The team's dropped like a rock since he got hurt. He is easily the most impactful player we have aside from Hank.

Eh, my point still stands.

The team looked like crap while he was in the line-up as well. We've had dips through-out the season where we look to compete and then fall off. Kreider has had games where he's our best forward and plenty of games where he's one of our worst forwards.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
He wasn't paid for points. He was paid for goals. It was definitely a contract that raised a lot of eyes because he signed it 9 years ago for that cap hit, but if Nash actually kept up his production of 30+ goals a season, nobody would have raised an eye over his cap hit the last 3 years.

He wasn't paid for points, but it did raise eyebrows because it was that big of a deal for a guy who didn't have great seasons points-wise.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don't even think it's arguable, he's clearly our best forward. The team's dropped like a rock since he got hurt. He is easily the most impactful player we have aside from Hank.

Eh, my point still stands.
I agree that he is important to our line up. Its just easy to forget that hes already 26, going on 27. He isn't a 23 year old with potential anymore. He is what he is at this point.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yandle was viewed as a #2 at the time of the trade. Right now McDonagh would obviously return more, but when Yandle was on the Coyotes he played in all situations and was their #1 in ice-time and was their most consistent defender. Yandle at 50% back then would return more than McDonagh with no retention right now.

No, he definitely would not.

Yandle was and still is a one-dimensional defender who isn't great in his own zone and wouldn't be a #1 on most teams outside of Arizona.

Not only that, but in 2015, OEL was 10th in TOI/G (25:12), Yandle was 36th (22:54). OEL played a whole 2 minutes more per game. Even "losing ice time" by going to NY wouldn't explain a gap that large. So no, he wasn't their #1 in icetime.

Reactions: The S5 and Alluckks

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

As long as it didn't hurt the Rangers as far as a playoff spot goes, and OEL wouldn't, then it's a move you have to make if there's a chance to do it. Impact d-men just don't come along too often.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd ve very surprised if the Leafs weren't in on McDonagh if he is indeed available. Toronto has plenty of pieces to get it done. I'd hate to move cheap prospects like Kapanen and Liljegren but having Rielly or Mcdonagh on the ice for 85% of the game instantly makes us a legitimate cup contender.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I don't think it's likely that the Rangers sell off their guys.

I think it's even less likely the Blues would be interested at the prices mentioned in here.
Thomas thompson kyrou are our future centers and rwings. Through kostin in there as 2lw or 2rw. Blues have a good future ahead of them. I do like zuccs though, will cost to much

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't think it's likely that the Rangers sell off their guys.

I think it's even less likely the Blues would be interested at the prices mentioned in here.

A number of Rangers fans were amenable to Kostin and a 2nd for Zucc. Maybe a 1st if salary needed to be retained or a contract like Sobokta had to be taken back. Doesn't seem unreasonable for a player of Zuccarello's caliber, and the Blues still keep their top two forward prospects.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
A number of Rangers fans were amenable to Kostin and a 2nd for Zucc. Maybe a 1st if salary needed to be retained or a contract like Sobokta had to be taken back. Doesn't seem unreasonable for a player of Zuccarello's caliber, and the Blues still keep their top two forward prospects.
Personally, I'd like the Blues to start playing better hockey with what they have before they make a trade like that. I know they're near the top of their division, but they're 15-14-2 in their last 31 games (including the win tonight), and have generally played pretty bad hockey (relative to their usual standards) for the last two months straight.

They've looked a bit better the last two games, but I still need to see an extended run of better play before I'm convinced the Blues have any real shot this year. What's the point in paying for two playoff runs if one of them is essentially going to be a write-off because the team is playing bad hockey?

Armstrong has said some things that indicate he might be thinking along those lines as well (this team isn't as competitive as past ones that we've had, and that he's looking for moves that improve the Blues chances beyond this current year), but who really knows what the organization is thinking. He did say that he wasn't interested in anyone at their current asking price. I don't know if the Blues would be interested in re-signing any of the players they've been linked to by the media, so that would probably factor into what they're willing to give up as well.

There seems to be a lot of good winger options potentially on the table with 1-2 years on remaining on their contracts after this one, so if he does pull the trigger, I'd expect him to go with the guy that has the lowest price tag, if there's one that makes sense at all. I don't get the feeling that there's a sense of desperation to add someone before the deadline.

Zuccarello and Hoffman would seem to have the inside track in that they can both play RW, which is by far the biggest area of short-term need, though they are both LH shots which is not a positive for the Blues at this point. Being so LH heavy in their top 9 is actively hurting the Blues...especially on the PP.

The Blues have very little deadline space, so the Rangers would have to retain or take salary back to make it work. The Blues don't have a traditional cap dump to offer (in the sense that they would need to send back a reasonable contributor who is fairly compensated for what they do). I doubt the Blues are going to want to up the futures value of their offer and send back a useful player to make the dollars work. I'd see it more as upping the value if the Rangers eat salary, or subbing out the 2nd for the useful player if they don't. The Blues are known to have turned down an offer of a 2nd for Sobotka already, to give you some idea of how he's valued.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Personally, I'd like the Blues to start playing better hockey with what they have before they make a trade like that. I know they're near the top of their division, but they're 15-14-2 in their last 31 games (including the win tonight), and have generally played pretty bad hockey (relative to their usual standards) for the last two months straight.

They've looked a bit better the last two games, but I still need to see an extended run of better play before I'm convinced the Blues have any real shot this year. What's the point in paying for two playoff runs if one of them is essentially going to be a write-off because the team is playing bad hockey?

Armstrong has said some things that indicate he might be thinking along those lines as well (this team isn't as competitive as past ones that we've had, and that he's looking for moves that improve the Blues chances beyond this current year), but who really knows what the organization is thinking. He did say that he wasn't interested in anyone at their current asking price. I don't know if the Blues would be interested in re-signing any of the players they've been linked to by the media, so that would probably factor into what they're willing to give up as well.

There seems to be a lot of good winger options potentially on the table with 1-2 years on remaining on their contracts after this one, so if he does pull the trigger, I'd expect him to go with the guy that has the lowest price tag, if there's one that makes sense at all. I don't get the feeling that there's a sense of desperation to add someone before the deadline.

Zuccarello and Hoffman would seem to have the inside track in that they can both play RW, which is by far the biggest area of short-term need, though they are both LH shots which is not a positive for the Blues at this point. Being so LH heavy in their top 9 is actively hurting the Blues...especially on the PP.

The Blues have very little deadline space, so the Rangers would have to retain or take salary back to make it work. The Blues don't have a traditional cap dump to offer (in the sense that they would need to send back a reasonable contributor who is fairly compensated for what they do). I doubt the Blues are going to want to up the futures value of their offer and send back a useful player to make the dollars work. I'd see it more as upping the value if the Rangers eat salary, or subbing out the 2nd for the useful player if they don't. The Blues are known to have turned down an offer of a 2nd for Sobotka already, to give you some idea of how he's valued.

Thanks for the insight. Obviously don't get to see a ton of Blues games, but it certainly makes sense to maybe hold off on a big move until next year. I thought Sobotka was one of those guys that the team maybe had some regrets about giving term to. Interesting to hear they turned down an offer for him at that price.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Thanks for the insight. Obviously don't get to see a ton of Blues games, but it certainly makes sense to maybe hold off on a big move until next year. I thought Sobotka was one of those guys that the team maybe had some regrets about giving term to. Interesting to hear they turned down an offer for him at that price.
He's not quite as physical as he was before he left (as in finding places to drop a big hit), but he's a versatile guy who can play up and down the lineup, fill a number of roles well, play effectively with different style teammates, and who is generally tough to play against. He's exactly the sort of guy contenders love to have rounding out their depth.

Berglund's (most likely) the guy with regrettable term, but he's also tough for the organization to move on from mid-season since he and Schenn are the only current centers on the roster locked in beyond this year. Gunnarsson might be viewed as the most expendable asset if salary needs to be moved, especially if the Blues are comfortable playing Schmaltz in the playoffs if there is some sort of emergency need. It doesn't seem like that matches up well with the Rangers needs, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad