Friedman: Rangers will listen on McDonagh and Zuccarello

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
That's great. He's also under contract for 1.5 years and could walk for nothing. I'd rather not give up all that for the potential of a 1.5 year rental (and more likely a year rental, since I doubt a player of McDonagh's magnitude is moving). Only way you offer a package like that is if an extension is coming with it.

I only included so many prospects because Boston doesn’t currently have a blue chip prospect, also there comes a time when we have to agree that no contract will be ideal. Either it’s long term short money in which case that team would never move him. It’s long term and big money which is problematic. Or it’s short term for good money and it’s not long enough.

Let’s say my deal isn’t valid without a long term extension and that deal is 8 years at 8.5 million. So signed through age 38. That’s more enticing?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
That's great. He's also under contract for 1.5 years and could walk for nothing. I'd rather not give up all that for the potential of a 1.5 year rental (and more likely a year rental, since I doubt a player of McDonagh's magnitude is moving). Only way you offer a package like that is if an extension is coming with it.

When a guy is signed for another 1.5 years he is not a rental....

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I love how we should trade McDonagh, but a guy like Kreider should absolutely not be traded... I don't really get what people think Kreider is going to suddenly turn into. He's far from untouchable.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I love how we should trade McDonagh, but a guy like Kreider should absolutely not be traded... I don't really get what people think Kreider is going to suddenly turn into.

That is basically down to one person who feels that way. Anyone outside of Buch, Andersson, Chytil and Skjei I will listen on. Even then, those guys are all available for the right price. Probably not Buch. Kid cracks me up and hes in the process of becoming a great player.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

If an extension was coming with him you wouldn't be getting him for a package built around futures.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
McD would, and should get a king's ransom. I'm not even going to speculate on what the Leafs would offer but this is the type of player they need to solidify their back-end.

Should net a solid young roster player, 1st, and a top prospect.
For McD? It probably starts with Ny and ends with er.
This is a top of the food chain D.

Reactions: Vintage93

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
How about Grabner and Zucc at 50% to St Louis for Kyrou, Thomas and #3 in 2018?

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
My offer was of the mind we’d get 2 playoff runs out of him

Your offer was probably what it would cost from a Bruins perspective, at least, for McD. And while it would certainly hurt, having Donato in the wings makes losing Bjork painful but not crushing. I just fear that even your offer wouldn't be enough for him....

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Absolutely. McDonagh worth a top 3 or 4 pick. If its the top pick, even better.

The problem is the rest of the trade. I don't think Reinhart is as bad as he's shown this season, and I think adding a second to Reinhart for Miller is fair, but Bogosian is a cap dump. I might still take that trade though, as we won't need the space, if we are sellers.

That's exactly how I came up with that. I know giving up that picks tough, But the way Buffalo has rebuilt, I don't think they have time to draft a defenceman and wait on his development. Buffalo has plenty of young forwards that will be coming up in a year or two. Buffalo almost needs to start winning now.

So a top pick for McDonagh. Gives Buffalo a guy thats not to old and can get Buffalos crappy D better. Gives Rangers there choice of a young stud.
Now, in saying that, that can't be the whole trade. That's way to risky for Buffalo seeing McDonagh only has a year left on his contract. So I came up with the Reinhart and a 2nd for Miller. Reinhart's a natural center playing wing. I believe Middlestat will take the role of Buffalos 3rd center in 2 years. Rangers can groom Reinhart back into the center position, and we get a winger. Bogoasian is a body you can use on D and needs to be traded in this deal for cap.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
That's exactly how I came up with that. I know giving up that picks tough, But the way Buffalo has rebuilt, I don't think they have time to draft a defenceman and wait on his development. Buffalo has plenty of young forwards that will be coming up in a year or two. Buffalo almost needs to start winning now.

So a top pick for McDonagh. Gives Buffalo a guy thats not to old and can get Buffalos crappy D better. Gives Rangers there choice of a young stud.
Now, in saying that, that can't be the whole trade. That's way to risky for Buffalo seeing McDonagh only has a year left on his contract. So I came up with the Reinhart and a 2nd for Miller. Reinhart's a natural center playing wing. I believe Middlestat will take the role of Buffalos 3rd center in 2 years. Rangers can groom Reinhart back into the center position, and we get a winger. Bogoasian is a body you can use on D and needs to be traded in this deal for cap.

Miller is a center so not sure how you get a winger out of that. Also if your pick were a garanteed #1 overall and Rangers were looking to miss the playoffs, im still not sure if i would honestly consider this. McD is our captain after all, and with Zucc possibly also up and about on the market, who would mantle the (C)... RICK NASH? MARC STAAL?... Id do Miller + McDonagh + a 2nd for Middlestat and a garantueed 1st overall. But then we need to start rebuilding for scratch. Tank a few years and get some high quality players for 2024-2025.

Edit: You can have Vigneault for free tho right now.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Miller is a center so not sure how you get a winger out of that. Also if your pick were a garanteed #1 overall and Rangers were looking to miss the playoffs, im still not sure if i would honestly consider this. McD is our captain after all, and with Zucc possibly also up and about on the market, who would mantle the (C)... RICK NASH? MARC STAAL?... Id do Miller + McDonagh + a 2nd for Middlestat and a garantueed 1st overall. But then we need to start rebuilding for scratch. Tank a few years and get some high quality players for 2024-2025.

Edit: You can have Vigneault for free tho right now.

Yeah, your right. I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote JT Miler was a winger. Actually I was thinking about another trade idea with another team. But when I originally wrote the post, I was thinking we could get a guy to play 3rd line center now and the Rangers could work on Reinhart.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The Rangers got Yandle for 50% retention, which was $2.5 million for Duclair, Moore, 2016 1st, 2015 2nd.

McDonagh isn't going to get more than that without retention. So if we translate that package from Toronto, it would be something along the lines of:

2019 1st
2018 2nd
Borgman
Kapanen

If Rangers retained 50%, I would guess Borgman would switched to Dermott.
You think Ryan McDonagh would return LESS than Keith Yandle? Seriously?

McDonagh is a bonafide #1 D, top 20 or so in the league.

Yandle is a second pairing offensive guy.

McDonagh should return much more than Yandle in a trade.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Also, we could afford to retain on his contract and if the return would be that much sweeter, I can't imagine Gorton turning down some retention.

On a 4.7 million dollar contract though.. I can't imagine the need for retaining would be huge. One of the best contracts, if not the best in the NHL aside from Tavares.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Yeah, your right. I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote JT Miler was a winger. Actually I was thinking about another trade idea with another team. But when I originally wrote the post, I was thinking we could get a guy to play 3rd line center now and the Rangers could work on Reinhart.
You were right, Miller is a winger.

He fills in at center when needed but it's very clear that he's more comfortable as a winger and much better as a winger.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Personally i don't like the upside of the Bruins prospects, there's LOTS of depth, plenty of future NHLers, but there's not a lot of high upside ones. I don't think there's a great fit here but maybe that's just me.
Fair enough, and reasonable answer.

There's a few that might have higher upside, but I don't think any that you'd consider a bluechip outside of the obvious ones that aren't available.

I think their draft pick from last year has possible top pair potential, but has yet to be seen if he'd make it. Then again, I don't think Montreal knew McDonagh would be as good as he would be when they moved him. But that's completely on them.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Yandle was viewed as a #2 at the time of the trade. Right now McDonagh would obviously return more, but when Yandle was on the Coyotes he played in all situations and was their #1 in ice-time and was their most consistent defender. Yandle at 50% back then would return more than McDonagh with no retention right now.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
You were right, Miller is a winger.

He fills in at center when needed but it's very clear that he's more comfortable as a winger and much better as a winger.

Is he? I honestly thought he was a center. When I said winger earlier, I had Zucker on my mind. If he's a better winger, Is actually would prefer that

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
How about Grabner and Zucc at 50% to St Louis for Kyrou, Thomas and #3 in 2018?
No. I'll tell you, like we've been telling Mon, Philly, and Ott fans. We are not trading Thomas. He fits on organizational need that we cannot lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad