Waived: Rangers waive Brendan Smith (Cleared)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
queue the 'We told you so Rags fans!".........

savage to do this on his birthday. No one is going to claim him with that contract which has years and high AAV(for the player). he's something between a serviceable bottom pair D to a inconsistent fringe NHL player.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
They won't do it because they're idiots who think they can retool this roster and make it play-off competitive.

I'm merely asking for a scenario that works in my head, not one that I am under illusions they would do.

Thwey have the worst GM in Habs history currently running the show.

Oh come on...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh come on...

Houle had a reason to jettison all players for nothing. An organization bleeding money, the Canadian dollar collapsing. He had no choice but to be a patsy for a sell off for financial reasons only.

Bergevin had money, autonomy to do what he wanted and took a very good young core and turned it into.... this.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I still don’t think Smith is a lost cause. He needs to get his head on straight though. It’s going to be on him to get his conditioning right and find form. If he doesn’t, I hope he likes Hartford.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Houle had a reason to jettison all players for nothing. An organization bleeding money, the Canadian dollar collapsing. He had no choice but to be a patsy for a sell off for financial reasons only.

Bergevin had money, autonomy to do what he wanted and took a very good young core and turned it into.... this.

Very good young core?

He had Subban, Pacioretty & Price to work with. That’s it.

Galchenyuk was drafted by Bergevin. Gallagher had yet to play a game in the NHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My lasting impression of Smith will be as the poster boy for Kempe's flow.

Maybe with an offseason of conditioning he'll be back. Could be a wakeup call.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
People saying poor guy like it’s a sad thing that he is getting 4.35 million per year to be in decent shape and show up in line to be on the team bus for the next 3.5 seasons.

NHL or not the dude is living the dream. Be mad at him, don’t pity him! Save it for people like me

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I still don’t think Smith is a lost cause. He needs to get his head on straight though. It’s going to be on him to get his conditioning right and find form. If he doesn’t, I hope he likes Hartford.
His conditioning is not the problem. Wings fans have been hearing it for years. Smith gives you just enough to think he might "turn it around for good". Wings fans have gone through that for years. He won't ever turn it around. Just cut your losses and move on I say.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Signed a fat contract and started really mailing it in? Terrible situation to everybody involved. The only thing making this somewhat better is that Rangers can afford these kind of contracts in the AHL if it comes to that.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
When was the last time a team just gave up midseason and decided to rebuild MIDSEASON? I mean by the end of the season the Rangers will likely be without Smith (AHL), Nash, McDonagh, Zuccarello, Grabner, + more. Crazy.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Very good young core?

He had Subban, Pacioretty & Price to work with. That’s it.

Galchenyuk was drafted by Bergevin. Gallagher had yet to play a game in the NHL.

Norris Trophy winner, Vezina & Hart Winner and a perennial 30 goal scorer. That's it.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
This could be bad news for the Rangers. Obviously Smith brought this on himself, but I'm afraid NYR GM is complying with coach AV and it means that AV will be the coach through this rebuild. That would be a mistake. His d-system is a disaster.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
As I commented in the last thread on Smith, he has all the tools. We've seen him turn it up in the Spring regularly.

He just doesn't commit to the rest of the year. Laziness? I'm not sure.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
When was the last time a team just gave up midseason and decided to rebuild MIDSEASON? I mean by the end of the season the Rangers will likely be without Smith (AHL), Nash, McDonagh, Zuccarello, Grabner, + more. Crazy.

I think they are going to try to take a page out of Ray Shero's book. Hoard as many assets as possible and eventually try to take advantage of other teams that are in a cap crunch (ex: Palmieri/Johansson)

Reactions: Kcb12345

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Weird. I thought people were saying he could return a 2nd or a 3rd...
I guess this means Martin is sticking around with the Leafs, then.

Babcock does not like Smith, tor will not trade for Smith.

Really thought he would turn it around here, his playoff performance left me drooling...

Yes he is a great playoff player. If no one claims him, and you get closer to the playoffs his play will keep improving going forward to the playoffs (especially if you make it in)

queue the 'We told you so Rags fans!".........

Ya sorry about that. But us Wings fans do have a lot of knowledge about him.

P.S. he came to camp this year out of shape? Is that speculation or an actual article exists on this? (out of shape was never an issue before)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
leafs 2015

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Leafs pretty much did it when they fired Carlyle mid season and put Peter the Tank in charge. I mean, the majority of the lifting was done in the off seasons but it was pretty clear when they changed coach half way through the season that the rebuild was starting.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This could mean NYR are taking on a bad contract
Martin/Orpik maybe?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Have to wonder if this would ever happen if AV was not part of the picture. I like Smith. Was a warrior in the playoffs. Has had a bad season. I think there is too much player here to put the guy on waivers. Whole team is stinking it up. He's the only guy that stands up for his mates before McLeod. I don't like it.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
His conditioning is not the problem. Wings fans have been hearing it for years. Smith gives you just enough to think he might "turn it around for good". Wings fans have gone through that for years. He won't ever turn it around. Just cut your losses and move on I say.
His conditioning is absolutely a problem. He got married this offseason and came back from the honeymoon out of shape. Couldn’t get out of the dog house because of it.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
That's it. This means the rebuild is off and they are going to be buyers not sellers. If they were in tank mode they would give him more ice time, not waive him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad