Waived: Rangers waive Brendan Smith (Cleared)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Sorry Rangers fans. Everyone and their mothers tried to warn you that his post deadline play wasn't something to expect consistently.

Exactly! It was infuriating listening to Rangers fans they stole him from us and that he would be a great top 4D for them while completely dismissing everything us Wings fans have watched for years like it didn't matter.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I was thinking the same thing. Why is Smith singled out. Plus, I would have liked to see Smith's game with a different coach in a different D system before burying the guy.

You saw him with two different coaches on a different system in Detroit. He wasn't any good then either.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
His conditioning is absolutely a problem. He got married this offseason and came back from the honeymoon out of shape. Couldn’t get out of the dog house because of it.
The sooner you stop making excuses for Brendan Smith, the sooner you can move on from Brendan Smith. Which, trust me, is what you want.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I was going to suggest that maybe the Rangers are considering buying him out this summer. However, between a hypothetical Smith buyout this summer, and Girardi's already on the books, the Rangers would have $4.7XXM tied up in buyouts for 18/19 and 19/20, and then $4.3XXM for 20/21. Ouch.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The sooner you stop making excuses for Brendan Smith, the sooner you can move on from Brendan Smith. Which, trust me, is what you want.
They waived him today. I think it’s pretty clear they want to move on.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Exactly! It was infuriating listening to Rangers fans they stole him from us and that he would be a great top 4D for them while completely dismissing everything us Wings fans have watched for years like it didn't matter.
Too be fair, he did look great. Sometimes players develop late.. Look at Stralman before he got the Rangers.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I guess the Detroit fans on here had better things to do when their team was making the playoffs regularly that troll former players.

I’m done here.
Not sure why you think I'm trolling. I was simply trying to say that we as Wings fans would always say the same thing when it came to Brendan Smith. "He needs a fair shake" ect... We always made excuses for him. Finally we just accepted that he just isn't very good. That's what I meant when I said you (as in Rangers fans) will be better off not making excuses for him and just accept he isn't very good. We learned the hard way. At least he's getting waived early on in his Ranger career.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They're just hoping somebody bites and frees up a contract. We're at 48 I think right now, and if we're trading for some prospects and picks, it makes sense. I don't see anybody biting to be honest, I think if we retain 1.5 somebody might take a stab. He shows flashes of being a good defensemen for us, but I can't tell if it's because he just can't think the game fast enough and makes bad decisions or if our current defense strategy is just a bad fit for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad