Waived: Rangers waive Brendan Smith (Cleared)

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Brendan Smith plays a physical game, some gm will pick him up.
I think the Rangers must have already shopped him before putting him on waivers, indicating little interest at this contract price. My sense is that this is intended more as a (misguided) wake up call to Smith who will eventually get recalled. My biggest problem with all this is he's been put in a position to fail by this rigid coach who has completely failed to adapt to the league.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I was concerned by the overwhelming Wings' fans consensus, I must admit. I did want to re-sign him, though, due to his legit play to end the year with his almost constant partner, Skjei. Skjei being, at the time (and still, I hope) a part of our future D corps... well, I liked that they meshed and I believed maybe in a new system and with the right partner he could become something pretty stable and good.

We had done it with Stralman, after all.

But this time was clearly a failure. All I can hope for now is that he gets his ass in shape and can be a decent bottom 2 D who sticks up for teammates and helps with youngsters we may be acquiring moving forward. Otherwise it'll be a long 3 more years on that. Especially when added to Staal and the Girardi buyout. I look forward to us having a solid D corps through all zones that doesn't cost a fortune and frequently disappoint. We've had Hank to bail us out through a lot of it. We may yet have the same in Shesty, but that ain't good enough.

Sigh.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
It's mind blowing how many people in here are quick to simply blame coaching... Guy's on his 3rd NHL coach, how many is it going to take?

Under Babcock - not a good player
Under Blashill - not a good player
Under Vigneault - not a good player

Anybody see a pattern? :huh:

From a Ranger perspective, it can't go ignored. They're defensively the worst team in the NHL, and have been damn near close since AV took over

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I recall several posts after the trading deadline and after Smith was resigned by Rangers fans. Gleefully thanking Red Wings fans.

Believe me...Thank you New York

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
But Smith, an affable Type-A personality who was one of the Blueshirts’ most important players in the playoffs, bears the responsibility for the train wreck that his 2017-18 became right out of the gate following a summer in which he got married and, as he told the Rangers’ website prior to camp, was a guest at seven other weddings. Maybe No. 42 was even able to sneak in some time for conditioning between bashes.

Rangers right to put pressure on big-money bust to fix his game

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
lol 8 off-season weddings. Let's see if this lights a fire under him. Next time he'll ever see a professional locker room is training camp tryout this fall

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Rangers, as a fan of theirs, continue to amaze me with both their rental and UFA signing prowess.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
damn....i thought our dumb GM would be all over this by now.....he normally loves other teams rejects....anything he can get for free

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->