Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Senators - Murray's picks come thru big!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Exactly.

We played horribly in our own zone for the first 25 games or so this year, and had similar 20-25 game stretch last year. On both occasions, both our goalies were giving up 4-6 goals on a regular basis.

Anyone who says they've never seen a breakdown like last night hasn't been watching the Sens over the last 2 years. Just go back in the GDTs during that time and hear the screeching where most people blamed our netminders for everything.

The Rangers were a blanket defensively, it wouldn't have mattered if they only scored 2 goals last night.

And 4-6 goals per game regularly? No one on the Sens has given up 6 goals this year in one game, Lehner gave up 5 twice. Mostly 4's all around.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
More opportunity in Buffalo. And Edmonton.

I'd say the rankings for most likely team to sign him is:

1) Edmonton
2) Buffalo
3) Ottawa
4) NY Rangers

See, I don't think it would be hard to dissuade him from signing in Buffalo or Edmonton. I Look at what happened to Justin Schultz who sined there because he wanted a bigger role. One would think these college guys would benefit from getting eased into the NHL and aclimatized to the game. In edmonton or buffalo he would practicalty*? be the starter!

On another goalie note. Now would be the time for Anderson to pick up the ball and run with it. He would gain so much respect if he could come in and pick up where Hammond left off, leading us into the playoffs. disclaime**Im not saying its over for Hammond, because he only lost a signle game, I couldnt care less, its more about the fatigue factor and Anderson showing us his AGame***

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
See, I don't think it would be hard to dissuade him from signing in Buffalo or Edmonton. I Look at what happened to Justin Schultz who sined there because he wanted a bigger role. One would think these college guys would benefit from getting eased into the NHL and aclimatized to the game. In edmonton or buffalo he would practicalty*? be the starter!

What happened to Shultz is he plays for a really bad team. He's still got a career ahead of him. That being said, is team success important to him, edm or Buf might not be the best place.

There's also the potential that we could sell ourselves as a good system for developing goalies (unlike Edm who has a terribad track record of late). We've had Bishop come through and go on to be a starter, Lehner who despite recent struggles is still well ahead of where most goalies are at that age, and now Hammond who has come out of nowhere.

On another goalie note. Now would be the time for Anderson to pick up the ball and run with it. He would gain so much respect if he could come in and pick up where Hammond left off, leading us into the playoffs. disclaime**Im not saying its over for Hammond, because he only lost a signle game, I couldnt care less, its more about the fatigue factor and Anderson showing us his AGame***

I've never been a fan of goalies playing through injuries. It's why I don't blame Hasek for holding out. Lalime played through injuries, and imo it cost us a series against the leafs when Neiwendyk took a wrister and Lalime reached across his body to try and make a glove save.

Neither Anderson or Hammond should be playing over Driedger if their injuries are still afecting their play, though I'm more comfortable with a goalie playing through a hand injury than a leg/knee/ankle one.

Personally, I'm still pissed that Couture didn't get a penalty for obviously diving into the net. Might end up derailing our season, and at the very least I'd feel somewhat better if there was some sort of recognition that it was a dirty play.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
More opportunity in Buffalo. And Edmonton.

I'd say the rankings for most likely team to sign him is:

1) Edmonton
2) Buffalo
3) Ottawa
4) NY Rangers

People say we have the inside track because we were the only team to actually have him attend development camps these last two years. He's somewhat loyal that way.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
We flat out sucked last night. After the first 7 or 8 minutes, we stopped skating completely. Guys missed defensive assignments on transition. Our power play continues to be shockingly poor. That's going to be the result against a top team.

I still think we can play with those guys. Get Smith, Legwand and Greening out of the damn lineup. Give me MacArthur, Michalek and Puempel and let's do this thing.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
People say we have the inside track because we were the only team to actually have him attend development camps these last two years. He's somewhat loyal that way.

I think this is fair, and why we're even in the discussion in the first place.

I just think that there are so few opportunities for Goalies at the NHL level these days, that if someone offers you a starting job and a starter's salary, you almost owe it to yourself to take it regardless of who attended which tryout.

I suppose I'm just cynical, and I'm going to assume he picks the instant-job and cash.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
We flat out sucked last night. After the first 7 or 8 minutes, we stopped skating completely. Guys missed defensive assignments on transition. Our power play continues to be shockingly poor. That's going to be the result against a top team.

I still think we can play with those guys. Get Smith, Legwand and Greening out of the damn lineup. Give me MacArthur, Michalek and Puempel and let's do this thing.

Man, that line didn't do anything yesterday. Although to be fair, the other lines didn't do much either. It just seemed like they were working on the boards their whole shift, and nothing going to the net.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think this is fair, and why we're even in the discussion in the first place.

I just think that there are so few opportunities for Goalies at the NHL level these days, that if someone offers you a starting job and a starter's salary, you almost owe it to yourself to take it regardless of who attended which tryout.

I suppose I'm just cynical, and I'm going to assume he picks the instant-job and cash.

Why is it cynical? It's the smart thing to do

As far as last game goes: anyone worried the team is simply out of gas?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Tanner Glass scored his 1st goal of the season against us. I can't even...

...yes, and on an absolutely terrible shot that Hammond should have had, bad ankle and all. That's like giving up a goal to Greening.

Last night was the combination of a) a very deep, skilled Rangers team who play their style and system to perfection and b) a whole bunch of our guys having a tough night. It's easy to throw guys like Greening and Smith under the bus, but frankly they aren't the guys who carry this team. This team is carried by Karlsson, Bobby Ryan, Turris, and Z-bad, and all those guys ranged from mediocre to awful all night. Z-bad looked like a beer leaguer whiffing on a one timer, and Karlsson was back to being "Bad Erik", making careless giveaways all over the ice. Ryan and Turris also looked a step behind all night.

Oh, and Cody Ceci had his worst game of the season by a country mile. I really like this kid and think he'll be a 1000 game NHLer, but he was cruelly exposed by the Rangers' skill forwards last night. Borocop was actually our best defenceman on the night and Condra was our best forward. God bless Boro and Condra, but when they are your best players on the night you aren't winning many hockey games.

The good news is that I feel like we are capable of bouncing back. Guys like Bobby Ryan will be thoroughly ticked off and embarrassed, and should come out with an edge tomorrow. They collectively hung their goaltender out to dry, and owe it to Hammond to come out flying against the Leafs.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
Hammond was not sharp at all... But even when the score was 4-1, we had a shot to get back in the game, with the zebras giving us PP after PP... the power play is becoming an Achilles... I laughed when someone said we should decline it a month ago, but i've come to agree with this.... its absurd that we can get so much time in their end , but generate no shots or no quality shots in there on the PP... Gotta give the Rangers a lot of credit, they looked REALLY GOOD... amazing breakouts, speed, passing, and tape to tape accuracy... they're a 1st place team with a real shot at the cup....

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Frustrating loss to say the least but it was bound to happen. Obviously the PP was atrocious. They need to figure that out stat or teams are going to start taking liberties on our team. I wouldnt be opposed to a guy like Pageau on there but when you put the whole 3rd line on there it says you dont know what to do and your top guys arent getting it done.
- I get we all love Hammond but if he is injured and his mobility is compromised get him out of there. Dreiger can play against Toronto and we can go from there.
- I would like to either Prince or Robinson up instead of Greening. Just feel like his time is up. That line with Neil and Legwand is slow and lacks creativity. Give them someone who can maybe create a chance or two. 4 lines that all have speed is what makes us dangerous.

Onto the Leafs dammit.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

I know it's very easy for me to say this, since I don't have the decision to make. But I think the "smart" thing to do is sign with a team like us, who can shelter him a bit and help him develop into a starting goalie. If he goes into Edmonton his career could be over in one season.

If it were me I probably would jump at the chance to be a starter and get an nhl salary though, so I don't blame him if that's the route he takes.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Definitely possible.

There has been a lot of games in a short time frame. And so many big games, too. Add int he western road trip, all the hype and press with the streak and records and all that.....it's both physically and mentally exhausting.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
I thought we began last night's game well, we controlled the play in the first couple of minutes, but then the rangers seemed to get more and more energized as time went on and their shots were finding their mark. Hammond looked tired, and our offensive players were completely shutdown. Our PP stunk. This is one of those you don't look back on, just focus on the next game and forget this ever happened.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I know it's very easy for me to say this, since I don't have the decision to make. But I think the "smart" thing to do is sign with a team like us, who can shelter him a bit and help him develop into a starting goalie. If he goes into Edmonton his career could be over in one season.

If it were me I probably would jump at the chance to be a starter and get an nhl salary though, so I don't blame him if that's the route he takes.

Him signing with us means he risks never making the NHL while signing with a bad team means he very likely does

It's about dollars at the end of the day, he'll likely only get one shot at this

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
We have the 5th most PP opportunities this year, I didn't realize that.... no one should be complaining about the refs for sure.... a decent PP would go a long way here....

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We lost last nght because of lack of leadership and toughness.
Couldn't type this with a straight face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad