Post-Game Talk: Rangers vs. Islanders: It's Miller Time

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Everyone is all over Brad Richards again...

Remember how he played the 2nd half of last season? He was over a PPG in the last 25 games and arguably our best player from February to May. He will be fine. He played the same way in the first half last year. By the second half, I'm convinced he will be the 70pt first line center we saw last year and in the post season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yup, 2-4 isn't good, but we did beat Boston and Tampa (when they were 6-1 and on fire and 5-0 at home). Tampa still is 5-1 at home.

Also, Pittsburg and Boston are not only good teams, they are basically the exact same teams that played together for all of last season. Of course that is a very big advantage against a team like ours who like 100% of the time has players on the ice who wasn't here last season.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Stralman has been good in his NHL career. He was good in Columbus. He was productive in Columbus. Devils and Jackets messed that one up.

He's one of those defensemen that don't need sheltered minutes to be better. They need more minutes and more involvement to he better. He should stay on the power play as well. He's stronger then he's given credit for as well.

He won't ever be a perfect player but he can play top four minutes.

I'd say he's the best we got on the blue line. He hits the net often and is not afraid to take the shot.

Bardof425*

You use the term "defense" like it s a derogatory slam towards Boyle's game. You realize defense is a major part of a hockey players skillset right?

It is not derogatory, but being able to play decent defensive hockey by itself doesn't make you versatile. So, I'm wondering what he/she meant by versatile? Is that clear?

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I saw a lot of skating, and great offensive pressure from Ash yesterday. Boyle can barely carry the puck into the offensive zone

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
2 NHL games and a few glimpses into his games against high school aged kids, and JT Miller is just fine defensively at this level? Sorry, I dont buy it.

Hes been a revelation, and Im not taking anything away from him. But on the other side of the coin, he made some really careless passes and turnovers over the past 2 games. Again, expected out of a 19 year old. Hes also not entirely sure about the coverage on the backcheck if you watch closely. Again, growing pains and he'll learn. Im just not sure he'll learn it all this season.

Kreider is in the same boat. If those 2 stick together, they're going to have to receive some sheltered minutes and avoid the oppositions top offensive talent.

....thats where a guy like Brian Boyle becomes important.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Also, Pittsburg and Boston are not only good teams, they are basically the exact same teams that played together for all of last season. Of course that is a very big advantage against a team like ours who like 100% of the time has players on the ice who wasn't here last season.

Boston is probably better, adding Dougie Hamilton (granted Seidenberg was out last game, but I'm not sure he would have played against our top line anyway).

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
A clean, unnecessary hit with 30 seconds left against your prize rookie requires retaliation. And this is Brooks Orpik who has a history of taking out his frustrations against Rangers who are looking the other way. You want to let him continue to do that; go ahead. I am against it and having someone break his face may make him think twice about gratuitous hits like the one on Kreider.

Except it won't. The idea that any of these players can serve as a deterrent to that kind of behavior is laughable. The game has changed far too much.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It is not derogatory, but being able to play decent defensive hockey by itself doesn't make you versatile. So, I'm wondering what he/she meant by versatile? Is that clear?

For starters, he can play against an oppositions top line and is a very good PK'er. He can play center or wing....

When it comes strictly to a word like versatility, Boyle is probably more versatile than Gaborik.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

I would like to see someone do an analysis of turnover in recent Cup winners. Chemistry and consistency are such critical factors. Rangers fans should know this better than anyone.

Bardof425*

2 NHL games and a few glimpses into his games against high school aged kids, and JT Miller is just fine defensively at this level? Sorry, I dont buy it.

Hes been a revelation, and Im not taking anything away from him. But on the other side of the coin, he made some really careless passes and turnovers over the past 2 games. Again, expected out of a 19 year old. Hes also not entirely sure about the coverage on the backcheck if you watch closely. Again, growing pains and he'll learn. Im just not sure he'll learn it all this season.

Kreider is in the same boat. If those 2 stick together, they're going to have to receive some sheltered minutes and avoid the oppositions top offensive talent.

....thats where a guy like Brian Boyle becomes important.

Give it up. He's not taking a job from either one of these kids anytime soon. Torts loves BB and he was benched. That should tell you exactly how bad he's been. I would argue he's been that bad for a couple of years with streaks of competency. But that doesn't matter now. I'll let Torts speak for Brian's talents or lack thereof.

Bardof425*

Except it won't. The idea that any of these players can serve as a deterrent to that kind of behavior is laughable. The game has changed far too much.

Everything is laughable. The same concepts that work in football work in hockey as in life. If there are consequences for certain behavior, one will be less likely to do that act. I'm not saying Orpik will become a pacifist but he may not do that hit next time since it didn't change the game if someone was ready to step up and pound him.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Give it up. He's not taking a job from either one of these kids anytime soon. Torts loves BB and he was benched. That should tell you exactly how bad he's been. I would argue he's been that bad for a couple of years with streaks of competency. But that doesn't matter now. I'll let Torts speak for Brian's talents or lack thereof.

Take a job from them? What? Im insinuating that Boyle will be a needed complimentary piece on the defensive side of the puck.

Let the adults talk strategy while you continue to mindlessly bash.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Btw, am I the only one kinda pissed that McDonagh didnt pass to Miller on the open net?

I realize it would not have been the move Torts wanted to see, but I thought it would've been fine defensively, Miller had plenty of room.

He's RFA this off-season... EN goals are still goals... I'm sure he was happy to get it.

Bardof425*

For starters, he can play against an oppositions top line and is a very good PK'er. He can play center or wing....

When it comes strictly to a word like versatility, Boyle is probably more versatile than Gaborik.

First, he has shown no ability to play wing on the NHL level. And all you described is defensive hockey. by that logic, Gaborik is versatile because he can play on the PP, against the other team's first, second and third pairing and because he can score on the rush, on deflections, on put backs and on wrap arounds.

BB is not versatile; he is a one trick pony. A trick that so far this year hasn't been too impressive.

Bardof425*

Take a job from them? What? Im insinuating that Boyle will be a needed complimentary piece on the defensive side of the puck.

Let the adults talk strategy while you continue to mindlessly bash.

And aside from an injury how is he entering the linuep. We are not going to dress 13 forwards. So because we disagree you mindlessly attack. Who has the weak argument?...You do.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
After reading this thread, I understand why the people who like Boyle on our third line think that those who don't are all bashing him. Because that's what's been happening.

I like Brian Boyle a lot. I've always liked him a lot. I just don't like him filling the role of third line center, specifically for his usual inability to make anything positive happen in the offensive zone. He's a fine player and to me, if we're looking to compete in the playoffs, he needs to fill a Craig MacTavish type role. We need that. We need him in the lineup because he's a good PKer. I just want players on the depth chart ahead of him.

Give me a Boyle-Halpern-Powe line as one of my fourth line and I'm happy. Give me a Boyle-Halpern-Asham line as my third line and I'm worried.

16 To Stanley*

Boyle was a big part of our success last year. Anyone looking past that because of 1 win that he wasn't a part of, really doesn't understand the value of a bottom-6 player.

He's been slumping, as does every NHL player at some point or another. He will be fine and is an important piece going forward.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Uhh, yeah. Thats part of the process, being a fan and wanting to see something that rarely happens, especially on MSG ice.

Like I said, I know I'm wrong, but its like that last piece of chocolate - I know its wrong, but its chocolate !!! ;)

If you know you're wrong, you should know it's irrational to be pissed about it.

16 To Stanley*

And aside from an injury how is he entering the linuep. We are not going to dress 13 forwards. So because we disagree you mindlessly attack. Who has the weak argument?...You do.

He'll be in for Asham. And I honestly I'm super excited about what I saw from Miller, but the kid had a lot of defensive lapses. Let's see how he plays for the next 10 games rather than the high he's been on for the past 2. Not rooting against him by any means, but taking the wait and see approach with a kid who's 19 years old.

I don't think Asham's a waste like Rupper/Boogy and Brashear were. But he doesn't bring what Boyle brings. He can't PK, he can't be put out there against other teams top lines, can't take faceoffs, etc. Basically, he's just not as good. I know your blind hatred for Boyle will disagree with this because Asham has an offensive chance here and there and tries to make nifty moves with the puck (which never seem to work) but anyone with a view of the game knows Boyle>>Asham.

tors10

Sep 18, 2003
anybody know what the song is called they played directly after the game?

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I liked the
Stepan-Callahan
Halpern-Powe
Hagelin

Penalty kill a lot better than Boyle. He's good at keeping the puck out if the net. These guys are good at keeping the puck out of our zone.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
anybody know what the song is called they played directly after the game?

I think it's just the NY Rangers Goal Song, think it was written for the team.

They are just yelling "Goa-oh-oal!" and "Hey! Hey! Hey-hey-hey!"

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Boyle was a big part of our success last year. Anyone looking past that because of 1 win that he wasn't a part of, really doesn't understand the value of a bottom-6 player.

He's been slumping, as does every NHL player at some point or another. He will be fine and is an important piece going forward.

At what point is his lack of production not a slump and is who he is? He "slumped" all of the last season till the last half dozen games and first 3 or so playoff games. I think you have it reversed, his good play is what's not the norm. Good play on offense, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad