Rangers vs Carolina...Who wins and in how many games?

Want to take the temperature on how we feel less than a week before we play the Canes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hamilton and Pesce out is absolutely huge. That’s the equivalent of us being without like Kreider and DeAngelo, possibly more.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
The way we looked, its not gonna happen for us in a short series and I understand it. Unless Carolina looks just as awful and out of shape as we did last night.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
upload_2020-7-30_22-40-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-30_22-40-7.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-30_22-40-7.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 2

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
carolina is gonna be a really tough out. brind'amour will have them ready and they're just a solid mix of speed/skill/physicality and a very solid d corps top to bottom...slavin is criminally underrated. but we have some things going for us...2 of the top 10 forwards in the league, some very skilled and smart young dmen that can shred them if they over commit, and what on paper should be a substantial advantage in goal

other thoughts
dont have any concerns with our top guys not looking great last night...the isles are annoying to play against, and while i'm sure they were trying, mentally there's no way they approached that with the same focus they'll have saturday...its not possible. sure there's some rust, but that'll be just about everyone in the tournament
kakko came to play. he looked like a different player and so much quicker, don't think i'm going out on much of a limb in saying i expect this to be a coming out party for him
chytil looked very good too, just looked like he added a step and seemed smoother in general, a little more control and patience with the puck, he was flying around too, kid can cover some ice
igor's puckmoving - carolina loves to dump and forecheck aggressively. wonder how igor affects that...his ability to play dump ins as well as he does and more than effectively move it is huge, also going to save our dmen a ton of hits
trouba and smith - they both looked very good last night, trouba especially. if they can play that well thats a big, physical, pair that skate very well - trouba has all the tools to be a #1 and some nastiness...jury's out on how close he is to that and even if he will, but that was as solid a start as you could want to see. do think this was a much tougher transition than people allowed for with him...the personal adjustment moving, new teammates, new organization, big contract, expectations to step into a #1 role when you'd never been that before - had to be in a bit of a blender mentally at times, the break may have been huge for him to mentally reset
would love to dee gauthier more...might have a few edges to round but he's a bull in a china shop out there. huge, fast, and always on a bee line to the net

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
carolina is gonna be a really tough out. brind'amour will have them ready and they're just a solid mix of speed/skill/physicality and a very solid d corps top to bottom...slavin is criminally underrated. but we have some things going for us...2 of the top 10 forwards in the league, some very skilled and smart young dmen that can shred them if they over commit, and what on paper should be a substantial advantage in goal

other thoughts
dont have any concerns with our top guys not looking great last night...the isles are annoying to play against, and while i'm sure they were trying, mentally there's no way they approached that with the same focus they'll have saturday...its not possible. sure there's some rust, but that'll be just about everyone in the tournament
kakko came to play. he looked like a different player and so much quicker, don't think i'm going out on much of a limb in saying i expect this to be a coming out party for him
chytil looked very good too, just looked like he added a step and seemed smoother in general, a little more control and patience with the puck, he was flying around too, kid can cover some ice
igor's puckmoving - carolina loves to dump and forecheck aggressively. wonder how igor affects that...his ability to play dump ins as well as he does and more than effectively move it is huge, also going to save our dmen a ton of hits
trouba and smith - they both looked very good last night, trouba especially. if they can play that well thats a big, physical, pair that skate very well - trouba has all the tools to be a #1 and some nastiness...jury's out on how close he is to that and even if he will, but that was as solid a start as you could want to see. do think this was a much tougher transition than people allowed for with him...the personal adjustment moving, new teammates, new organization, big contract, expectations to step into a #1 role when you'd never been that before - had to be in a bit of a blender mentally at times, the break may have been huge for him to mentally reset
would love to dee gauthier more...might have a few edges to round but he's a bull in a china shop out there. huge, fast, and always on a bee line to the net

Good stuff and agree with most of what you said. I'm on record in saying I like our chances to win this series in 4 games. Before I saw the Islander game and the Cap/Canes game with the fact there will be no Pesce and Hamilton most likely, who btw was easily a Norris Trophy contender before he got hurt the first time, I felt the defensive corps edge the Canes had on us would be negated and was about even. When I saw how good Trouba was last night, I might even give us the edge there now...that's how good Trouba was.

As far forwards, I thought it was pretty even from lines 1 thru 4 even with no Lemieux for first two games. However after I saw this "new" and rejuvenated Kakko, I kind of give us the slight edge seeing a much more engaged Kakko gives our 3rd line a boost that I wasn't expecting.

And in goal, listen I know crazy shit happens as I've been thru a few rodeo's before but if our goaltending isn't much better than Canes is, than I guess I don't know anything about hockey and I've been following it for close to 50 years. I'd take any of our goalies over any of the Canes goalies AINEC!!.

When you add it all up and like I said I know shit happens, I'd be shocked if we don't emerge victorious in this series and I do mean shocked. This is not overconfidence. This is not be overlooking a solid Carolina team. This is me looking at all the factors and I don't see why we should lose this series. The fact that Kakko and Trouba look rejuvenated gives me even more confidence that we emerge than I even felt before the Islander game.

Let's get it on...can't wait for Saturday!

Reactions: jiitu

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Hope this looks more like the game in February vs the Canes where we out-shot them 35-29.

Other games were ugly offensively, 47-18, 43-25 and 42-24 not in our favor, but just hideous goalie play from Carolina in all 3.

Still not sure what to expect from that third line, you obliviously hope Chytil and KK take a step here, but would still give the Canes bottom six advantage, experience etc...

Probably comes down to which PP is hotter over the 5 games, think we should be successful there, but our PK can be hideous at times.

Rangers with the goalie advantage, but lets not have Igor get peppered out there.

I'm sticking with Canes in 5 from the last thread, hopefully the Rangers don't get frustrated if they lose game 1.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
With the Canes losing Pesce, Hamilton and Necas, if the Rangers lose this series, it would be a huge disappointment. Think about it this way, if the Rangers lost Trouba, Fox and Chytil, how would you be feeling about their chances?
On top of that, the Rangers have a huge advantage in between the pipes. Mrazek is hit or miss. I would expect Reimer to start game 1.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I'm sure many fans don't feel more confident in our chances after Wednesday night's performance. But I think it has set us up well for this series. We couldn't execute at all Wednesday, and we lost by only one goal. Fox was beat on both goals Wednesday. He's smart enough to learn that won't happen again. Kakko and Fast had good games. Our D was strong except for those two mishaps by Fox. You know for sure Zibad and Panarin will bounce back off those poor efforts and will have something to prove. So IMO, that Isles game set us up perfectly.

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
If the Trouba who played tonight vs the Islanders is the Trouba we get vs the Canes, that defensive corps edge they have over is not only negated but in fact, I'd think we would have the edge especially with them not having Pesce and likely Hamilton.

Trouba was tremendous tonight and in fact it might be the best I've ever seen him as a Ranger. Hopefully this is the Trouba we see Saturday!
Trouba was very good that night. I’m very happy about that and hope he can keep it going. However, if one exhibition game outweighs the entire season, where DeAngelo clearly outplayed Trouba by a mile, that’s concerning.

Reactions: Maximus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad