Rangers vs Carolina...Who wins and in how many games?

Want to take the temperature on how we feel less than a week before we play the Canes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
The only reason Carolina made it to the Eastern Conference finals last year is because we were out of the playoffs. We have won 31 of 37 meetings dating back to February 2011. If ever one team owned another, this would be a good example.

Yes, this is the playoffs, and anything can happen in a short series, but what possible opponent would you rather face? Rangers should dispose of Carolina.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The only reason Carolina made it to the Eastern Conference finals last year is because we were out of the playoffs. We have won 31 of 37 meetings dating back to February 2011. If ever one team owned another, this would be a good example.

Yes, this is the playoffs, and anything can happen in a short series, but what possible opponent would you rather face? Rangers should dispose of Carolina.

Wow we've won 31 of the past 37 games vs the Canes? I knew we had their number over the years but that's ridiculous... just plain ole silly. My lord if I were a Cane fan, I'd be a bit "skeered" and certainly not chomping at the bit.

I like the fact that you just know Quinn, as it's not his style anyways, is NOT going to let the Rangers think for even a moment that we have this or that this crazy record we have vs the Canes means squatole. He's probably telling them this is going to be the toughest potential 5 games they've ever played in their lives. And for most of the kids...it will be!.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohbaby

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Carolina without Pesce and Hamilton are a lot less imposing to play against and takes away Carolina's biggest advantage which was their D vs ours. I think that swings the series in the Rangers favor.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
As much as I don’t like Carolina and their fans I think they win in 5

if Shestyorkin isn’t on his A game I don’t have much hope they win. Carolina is much deeper in every way except goal

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

if Shestyorkin isn’t on his A game I don’t have much hope they win. Carolina is much deeper in every way except goal

Fortunately Shesty is almost always on his A game. Either way it's great experience for the young guys. And if they get knocked out we're looking at another pick in the top half of the draft with a 1 in 8 shot at #1 overall. Win Win.

Reactions: BobSantos

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Interesting on the main board, we are 59% to 41% underdogs vs the Canes too lose our series vs them.

Here on our board, we are 91% to 9% to win this sucker with the majority of us thinking we should be winning this in 4 which is where I personally am on board with as well.

I get the fact that the Canes have very nice depth both on their forward lines and in their d corps. The fact that they won't have Pesce and Hamilton as I said in my original comments, I truly believe is a huge negative for them and negates their "on paper" perceived advantage over us in that specific area.

IMO, so long as Igor is Igor which I can't imagine he won't be, I have no doubt we will score enough goals on the Canes to win this series.

The only thing that could derail us would be if some Cane pulls a "John Druce" on our asses that we don't expect and we simply cannot overcome it. I'll take my chances that that won't happen!!

Last edited:

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013

We love you too.

No, as much as I hate the fact that I have no hate-relationship with rangers or its fans except regarding the horrible record last years, now it's war time. Next over a week I am gonna hate you so much. I am kick you, I will curse you. you're gonna be hate of my life.

Anyway, what i was gonna say, i can take it. I mean, in main board I voted canes in 4, but if you say it, 5 is ok for me as well so you have a deal.

it is gonna be very very interesting series. good luck, but not too good.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
We love you too.

No, as much as I hate the fact that I have no hate-relationship with rangers or its fans except regarding the horrible record last years, now it's war time. Next over a week I am gonna hate you so much. I am kick you, I will curse you. you're gonna be hate of my life.

Anyway, what i was gonna say, i can take it. I mean, in main board I voted canes in 4, but if you say it, 5 is ok for me as well so you have a deal.

it is gonna be very very interesting series. good luck, but not too good.

Personally I like Carolina and it's fans. I get a kick out of the whole "storm surge" celebrations...I really do and I think it's great for the sport. The fact you guys swept the hated Islanders last year after they had just swept the Pens elevated your Canes bigtime in my book.

To me of all the teams in the Metro, the Canes are my least hated team and it's really not even close. I don't see how or why any of my Ranger brothers would hate the Canes. Besides the fact we have a ridiculous winning record of like 31-6 or something like that since 2011, the Canes have not a player at all who is detestable nor are the fans annoying.

If the unconscionable occurred and we lost to the Canes, I'd very likely root for them going forward. My having owned Teravonin and Hamilton the past two years in my longtime keeper fantasy league might have something too do with it coupled with the fact that I love John Forslund and think he's the best PBP announcer in the United States probably skews me into this thinking of mine.

Bottom line...should be a great series and may the better and luckier team win which means the Rangers...lol

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Interesting on the main board, we are 59% to 41% underdogs vs the Canes too lose our series vs them.

Here on our board, we are 91% to 9% to win this sucker with the majority of us thinking we should be winning this in 4 which is where I personally am on board with as well.

I get the fact that the Canes have very nice depth both on their forward lines and in their d corps. The fact that they won't have Pesce and Hamilton as I said in my original comments, I truly believe is a huge negative for them and negates their "on paper" perceived advantage over us in that specific area.

IMO, so long as Igor is Igor which I can't imagine he won't be, I have no doubt we will score enough goals on the Canes to win this series.

The only thing that could derail us would be if some Cane pulls a "John Druce" on our asses that we don't expect and we simply cannot overcome it. I'll take my chances that that won't happen!!
Keep in mind on the main board, about half of Carolinas votes were before there were even any Ranger options. They poll’s only options were CAR IN 3, 4, 5; then the mod added Rangers after they already accumlated a ton of votes for Carolina.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Keep in mind on the main board, about half of Carolinas votes were before there were even any Ranger options. They poll’s only options were CAR IN 3, 4, 5; then the mod added Rangers after they already accumlated a ton of votes for Carolina.

Wasn't aware of that Jovo. I'd also think that with the news that there likely will be no Dougie might also skew things a bit more towards our way. Good point tho.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Bottom line...should be a great series and may the better and luckier team win which means the Rangers...lol

I read this last sentence again and again and I just don't get it...there is clearly something wrong with it. This is what I meant, I now hate you for while and you non-sense writings. We will crush you! This is war

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I read this last sentence again and again and I just don't get it...there is clearly something wrong with it. This is what I meant, I now hate you for while and you non-sense writings. We will crush you! This is war

What don't you get hoss? Despite all the nice things I said about the Canes and that if somehow your team beat the Rangers that I'd root for you guys, you hate me? Dude get a grip and put the bong down. I could give a shit if you hate me because I think the Rangers will beat your Canes and it probably will happen.

Seriously dude...grow a pair and learn to read....jesus h christ!!

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
What don't you get hoss? Despite all the nice things I said about the Canes and that if somehow your team beat the Rangers that I'd root for you guys, you hate me? Dude get a grip and put the bong down. I could give a shit if you hate me because I think the Rangers will beat your Canes and it probably will happen.

Seriously dude...grow a pair and learn to read....jesus h christ!!

Sorry, looks like smile is nowadays the only way to show joke-nature of posts. I thought that after my first message it would be clear already that I was here with blink in the eye.

i will use smiles from now on. I referred for the "which means rangers"-part ;)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

no they’re not which is why we hammered them all year

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Wow we've won 31 of the past 37 games vs the Canes? I knew we had their number over the years but that's ridiculous... just plain ole silly. My lord if I were a Cane fan, I'd be a bit "skeered" and certainly not chomping at the bit.

I like the fact that you just know Quinn, as it's not his style anyways, is NOT going to let the Rangers think for even a moment that we have this or that this crazy record we have vs the Canes means squatole. He's probably telling them this is going to be the toughest potential 5 games they've ever played in their lives. And for most of the kids...it will be!.
I agree. Quinn will not let them rest on their laurels. But this record does have some influence. It gives the Rangers confidence, they can beat this team. And,... will weigh heavily on the Canes when we have a lead in a game. The Canes had a lead for only 12 minutes in the 4 games we beat them this year. And those 12 minutes came in one game where they took a 1-0 lead before we scored 4 unanswered goals.

Vegas has the Canes favored in this series. And I cannot fathom what the hell they are thinking. They don't even have a home ice advantage in these playoffs.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Carolina is much deeper in every way except goal
I disagree. Our top two lines are better. And I expect big things from the youngsters on the third line. Do the Canes have two first round picks on their 3rd line? And our 4th line will improve when Lemieux returns.

Our D is much improved the 2nd half of the season. I'll take Fox or Tony D over Hamilton any day. Oh my bad, Hamilton is out. Not to mention Lindgren has earned every minute in 60 games this season. And Trouba, newly married, will come back fresh, and should prove worthy of his ridiculous contract. We are much improved defensively.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
no they’re not which is why we hammered them all year
Not sure it can really even be argued to be quite honest

Our 4th line is garbage and we have 2 defensemen who shouldn’t even be playing in the NHL.

Hamilton and Pesce not playing closes the gap but Carolina still has the advantage of D depth easily

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
we have 2 defensemen who shouldn’t even be playing in the NHL.
Funny you say this. Because Staal and Smith probably have more playoff experience than anyone on the team. That said, I will agree they may be the weakest links on D, but you cannot discount how favorable it is for both of them to come into this fresh and healthy. Veterans know how to take it to the next level and they will be leaders for our younger D core. IMO we would be weaker without them.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Funny you say this. Because Staal and Smith probably have more playoff experience than anyone on the team. That said, I will agree they may be the weakest links on D, but you cannot discount how favorable it is for both of them to come into this fresh and healthy. Veterans know how to take it to the next level and they will be leaders for our younger D core. IMO we would be weaker without them.
No offense dude but Smith and Staal having playoff experience means nothing if they aren’t very good players lol

Smith has been playing forward most of the year, and Staal should have been out of the league 2 years ago

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rangers have handled the Canes this year because their goalies are ass.

Their goalies are still ass. The Rangers are better in the top 6 than the Canes are IMO (though this is certainly debatable) and its almost a sure thing that they will lean on them through out this set and for as long as they play, unless one of the other lines ends up taking an unforeseen step forward.

It would behoove the Rangers to lean heavily on the quartet of Lindgren, Fox, Trouba and DeAngelo while spotting Smith and *puke* Staal sparingly. It won't happen and it will cost them eventually, but it should.

No series is a given, this team got owned by the likes of Ottawa and Buffalo this year but the goaltending gap is the biggest gap between the 2 teams. I don't remember the last time I was able to say this, but we actually have the better "take over the game" talent in a series, and it's not like the Canes are the Isles in that regard.

This team's warts are already clear and they can't do anything to remedy them until the season is over. At this point, hopefully they either string together a strong run or bow out early and get that #1 OA.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
No offense dude but Smith and Staal having playoff experience means nothing if they aren’t very good players lol

Smith has been playing forward most of the year, and Staal should have been out of the league 2 years ago
You sound like Go Away Staal. Everyone on D earns their minutes. And this year, playoff experience means a lot, considering many on this team don't have any. We need a few veterans to be leaders. And like I said, these veterans are entering the playoffs healthy, for probably the first time in their careers. And they know how to take it to the next level. You vastly underestimate how important this is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unpredictable1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad