Rangers vs Carolina...Who wins and in how many games?

Want to take the temperature on how we feel less than a week before we play the Canes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Want to take the temperature on how we as a fan base feel here with just 4-5 days before the big matchup with the Canes. Me personally, I like our chances quite a bit. I like our goaltending advantage obviously as it's just a formality that Quinn will let Igor run with the gig. Too be honest no matter who Quinn decided to play, we'd still have a huge advantage over either Mrazek or Reimer.

I think our offense matchup up very well with Carolina's from lines 1 thru 4. And the advantage that I felt Carolina had on us on the defensive end is negated with both Pesce and especially Hamilton likely not going to play.

I'm not being overconfident here believe me as no question there will be alot of agida and stressful games as that's the way we roll(lol), but I really like our chances to end this puppy in either 4 or 5 at worst. I'll say we win in 4...what say you and why?

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I don't like best of 5 series. You get a hot goalie and they only have to win 3 games. Also leading 2 games to none is not nearly as advantageous. Any team can rip off 3 wins in a row.

That said, we should have the advantage in net. Even if the Czar loses the first two games, the King could come in and win the next 3.

I want to see a strong game Wednesday night vs the Isles with whoever is in net.

Last edited:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I don't like best of 5 series. You get a hot goalie and they only have to win 3 games. Also leading 2 games to none is not nearly as advantageous. Any team can rip off 3 wins in a row.

That said, we should have the advantage in net. Even if the Czar loses the first two games, the King could come in and win the next 3.

I want to see a strong game Wednesday night vs the Isles with whoever is in net.

I hear ya but to be honest, I'm just so happy we are even in the mix and are playing in meaningful games which tho we were only a point or two out of a playoff spot before the stoppage, was no sure thing.

So for us to even be playing now besides being a gift, is going to give our kids immeasurable experience which bodes well for the future. I'm stoked and can't wait for this shit to start.

As far as the game vs the Philes, as I said in my previous post, it will be a great test for us to prepare for the Canes as Isle game whether it's in the preseason or regular are always intense and should be good preparation for the boys and what is to come vs Carolina.

Reactions: ohbaby

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I like the Rangers stance going in. They have said nothing really. Just business. We’ve heard a lot of posturing from the other side.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I see the Series going 5. Close call so my heart says Rangers.

Can see the Canes thinking the Rangers are going to try and ramp up their offense. They’ll wait for mistakes knowing the forwards don’t always back check while a few defenders are so/so.

Honestly feel the Rangers are playing with house money. Meanwhile, no house money with Toronto who may have their hands full with what could be a reenergized, healthy and hard-nosed Columbus team.

How exciting that hockey is back.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I see the Series going 5. Close call so my heart says Rangers.

Can see the Canes thinking the Rangers are going to try and ramp up their offense. They’ll wait for mistakes knowing the forwards don’t always back check while a few defenders are so/so.

Honestly feel the Rangers are playing with house money. Meanwhile, no house money with Toronto who may have their hands full with what could be a reenergized, healthy and hard-nosed Columbus team.

How exciting that hockey is back.

except that Carolina doesn’t play that way. They forecheck and forecheck and forecheck and throw pucks at the net. Sitting back would be completely changing their style I can’t see that happening. This will be a lot of fun. Both teams want to go go go and they just don’t have the goaltending nor the team defense to contain us. We’re a bad match up for them. We’ve also got Dmen that move pucks well out of that forecheck

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
except that Carolina doesn’t play that way. They forecheck and forecheck and forecheck and throw pucks at the net. Sitting back would be completely changing their style I can’t see that happening. This will be a lot of fun. Both teams want to go go go and they just don’t have the goaltending nor the team defense to contain us. We’re a bad match up for them. We’ve also got Dmen that move pucks well out of that forecheck

never said they would sit back and “completely changing their style”, etc. i said

“They’ll wait for mistakes knowing the forwards don’t always back check while a few defenders are so/so.” Carolina has that playoff experience and beat the Caps by clamping down.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If you for instance said Philadelphia would do this and be a bad match up for us I’d agree wholeheartedly. But we’re a very bad matchup for Carolina.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I really like what I'm hearing out of camp from the Rangers. They came in with a ton of energy and excitement, tempered it down a bit and focused on the finer details of the game, then ramped it back up again going into tomorrow night. It seemed like Quinn was very pleased with how the team has responded throughout all of this.

What I find interesting is the coaching matchup. That could play a lot into this series. This is Quinns first go around, who is pressed into over-managing when the shit hits the fan, how quick of a leash the losing goalie will have...

I could see this series going either way. I think Game 1 is huge and Game 2 is even bigger for team down 1-0. I think the Rangers have a great shot at taking this one in 4 or 5.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Another thing I believe no one has really touched on is the advantage provided by a quality run franchise. A first rate "organ-eye-zation" affords a lot positives that will affect their team's chances of success, especially in this first round.

When you have a well run, extremely professional and organized support system the players and coaching staff can focus on hockey as opposed to being distracted with all of the Covid protocols. We've heard from several players and Quinn the Rangers have made it so easy for them maintain that focus.

The Rangers have always been one of, if not the most well-run and modernized franchises in the league. I've seen it first hand attending many charity events, player camps, etc. Everything is first rate, done with a purpose and they treat their players and guests extremely well.

Fans don't get to see this on a daily basis - but it's a huge advantage going into this thing because you have 2 weeks to get into playoff shape and intensity. There are several teams out there with lesser facilities and less structure and I'm sure many of them have taken a few more days of camp to sort things out. You can imagine certain teams having issues with testing, protocols, etc. Losing extra time is extremely valuable when you have a handful of practices before a 5 game series.

This is another reason why I think the Rangers are set up to win this series.

Reactions: Maximus

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

On the flip side, their bottom 6 is way better than ours and they don't have Marc Staal, who may be the worst player in the league at moving pucks.

I don't think their goaltending will hold up which will ultimately end up deciding the series and if they end up taking a ton of penalties they're probably going to get smashed (their special teams are great, but if our top PP is performing as well as it did when this whole thing shut down, it will roast any PK.)

I imagine that Quinn will lean very heavily on the top 2 lines which is where the Rangers have their advantage. It's not a formula for a long playoff run, but it's more than enough to win this series.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I think game one will determine the series. If it’s a close, tightly contested game - perhaps OT - than so will the series be. If one team has a clear upper hand, I think the series will tilt that way.

Regardless, Shesterkin is a great guy to have in net against an offense like Carolina’s. He thrives with a big workload and they’re a team that exerts a lot of forecheck pressure and throws everything at the net. If Shesty is sharp, I like our chances.

Our top two lines matchup decently. Not in terms of personnel, but output certainly. We’re one of the best offensive teams in the league. Our depth will be a coin toss. Any of Chytil, Kakko, Lemieux, Gauthier could have a big series or have taken some type of step forward. All of them could also be what they were in the regular season.

Our defense has its issues. Our goaltending evens that playing field a bit. It’s going to be a fun series. The two teams matchup well. My gut tells me the Rangers have the upper hand. They were the lower seed largely only due to the when the season ended and it was a marginal difference. Despite Carolina having some better depth of names, the Rangers - if they can play like they did in March - have the better game.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
3 months ago i’d have said Canes in 4 but no Pesce, no Hamilton, Skjei getting big minutes, and Shesterkin vs whatever garbage they trot out has made me quite a bit more confident

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I hear ya but to be honest, I'm just so happy we are even in the mix and are playing in meaningful games
Me too. Every game will be a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Hockey in August, how great is that? Hope the ice isn't affected. No fans, should help the ice conditions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad