Rumor: Rangers Trying to Sign CSKA Forward Sergei Shumakov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not that I think this is likely... and not that I would turn away free assets...

But do the Rangers really need another 26 year old middle-6 forward on a short term contract?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He publicly doesn't get along with the CSKA coach. The guy benched him during the playoffs, and said he wouldn't recommend Shumakov for the Russian National Team. He's holding out, either to the NHL or another KHL team.

CSKA's ask has been ridiculous to other KHL teams in a trade. There are only another few teams in the league who could afford his salary. From what I've read, they are asking for other teams best player in exchange for Shumakov, which is completely unreasonable. Based on the quotes coming out of CSKA, it doesn't seem like he'll be back with them. So there is definitely an incentive to get rid of him. I guess it matters what CSKA could get for him in a trade. If its a lot, I doubt they'd agree to terminate his contract. If its not much, would they take very little in a trade or agree to a termination if thats what Shumakov preferred?

There are a lot of things that don't make sense here.

A. Shumakov is not a KHL superstar. CSKA asking for one of the best players from a team like SKA is just very puzzling. If they seriously wanted to get rid of him and there are is a very limited population of KHL teams that can afford Shumakov's contract the it just doesn't make sense.
B. CSKA paid a very high transfer fee to obtain him and two more players from Sibir last year. I can't see them being comfortable with losing this investment.
C. Shumakov is making about $1.5m per year and given the difference in taxes (and NHL escrow) the equivalent of this amount would be somewhere closer to $3+m. Edit [...]
In addition he'd be liable for getting out of the existing contract with CSKA. Is it really a realistic scenario for him from a financial perspective?

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There are a lot of things that don't make sense here.

A. Shumakov is not a KHL superstar. CSKA asking for one of the best players from a team like SKA is just very puzzling. If they seriously wanted to get rid of him and there are is a very limited population of KHL teams that can afford Shumakov's contract the it just doesn't make sense.
B. CSKA paid a very high transfer fee to obtain him and two more players from Sibir last year. I can't see them being comfortable with losing this investment.
C. Shumakov is making about $1.5m per year and given the difference in taxes (and NHL escrow) the equivalent of this amount would be somewhere closer to $3+m. He'd be paid $950K on ELC if he were to join NYR. In addition he'd be liable for getting out of the existing contract with CSKA. Is it really a realistic scenario for him from a financial perspective?
Would he be on an ELC at 25? I would think he would be a FA that we could sign to $3-4 million dollar deal?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Would he be on an ELC at 25? I would think he would be a FA that we could sign to $3-4 million dollar deal?

I think you're correct, here.

Even if he was only turning 25 this year, his birthday should be inside the cutoff for avoiding an ELC with first NHL contract.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah this all seems incredibly unlikely.

For sure, we are linked to every other project like this and end up with like 5% of them at most, of the kid that we according to half good to good sources are interested in.

But I don't think the 'why not trade him' parallel is 100%. Can you even trade players in the KHL? You can't in any other sport or league in Europe. The player always have a veto. These guys are also always unrestricted when they are free agents, meaning that they are paid accordingly. There is not necessarily a ton of value in a contract if you get what I mean, like more guys are available as UFAs and younger better players are often pretty early in their career paid top dollars.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
For sure, we are linked to every other project like this and end up with like 5% of them at most, of the kid that we according to half good to good sources are interested in.

But I don't think the 'why not trade him' parallel is 100%. Can you even trade players in the KHL? You can't in any other sport or league in Europe. The player always have a veto. These guys are also always unrestricted when they are free agents, meaning that they are paid accordingly. There is not necessarily a ton of value in a contract if you get what I mean, like more guys are available as UFAs and younger better players are often pretty early in their career paid top dollars.
Yes, you can trade in the KHL. For example, Severstal traded Buchnevich to SKA in 2015, which delayed him from coming over to NA.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Yes, you can trade in the KHL. For example, Severstal traded Buchnevich to SKA in 2015, which delayed him from coming over to NA.

I think @Ola is asking if a player can be traded for another player (not monetary compensation in your example if I recall correction) but the answer is still yes.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

But I meant in the NHL fashion?

In soccer and hockey in the rest of Europe it works like this. A club has exclusive rights to a player. A player has obligations towards his club, exclusively. Another team can agree with the original club to give up the exclusive rights, and then negotiate a new contract with the player.

A ‘trade’ in this context is just two parallel transactions like that.

In the NHL a SPC is tradeable. You litterary trade the contract. That is something that you cannot do in any sport that I know of in Europe.

Edit: Think of a typical transaction between two teams in Europe as a transaction between a NHL team and a team in Europe. Gorton could not trade a NHL player to Sibiria even if he wanted to. You buy out the existing contract and replace it with a new contract. Sometimes the team waiving it’s right to a contract, ie accepting a buyout, can take a player back instead of money.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I realize it’s just a short clip, but NHL goalies won’t stop most of those shots. Wicked shooter.

Ok I’m in. Give him 7x10.

Reactions: Ola

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yeah, I honestly think it's just leverage to push a KHL trade. I don't think NYR can sign him unless the contract gets terminated (which I also doubt given the financial circumstances of even bringing him over from Sibir).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, I honestly think it's just leverage to push a KHL trade. I don't think NYR can sign him unless the contract gets terminated (which I also doubt given the financial circumstances of even bringing him over from Sibir).

If his aim is to get to the NHL this year and decides to sit it out no matter if he's traded that might lead to termination of his contract.

Much more likely is that's it's an issue between him and his CSKA coach and he'll play wherever he goes.

Reactions: Joey Bones

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
He publicly doesn't get along with the CSKA coach. The guy benched him during the playoffs, and said he wouldn't recommend Shumakov for the Russian National Team. He's holding out, either to the NHL or another KHL team.

CSKA's ask has been ridiculous to other KHL teams in a trade. There are only another few teams in the league who could afford his salary. From what I've read, they are asking for other teams best player in exchange for Shumakov, which is completely unreasonable. Based on the quotes coming out of CSKA, it doesn't seem like he'll be back with them. So there is definitely an incentive to get rid of him. I guess it matters what CSKA could get for him in a trade. If its a lot, I doubt they'd agree to terminate his contract. If its not much, would they take very little in a trade or agree to a termination if thats what Shumakov preferred?

The CSKA has a Russian bias.

Luckily, ours is gone.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

It’s possible it’s completley fabricated like most of the other foreign rumors.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
If his aim is to get to the NHL this year and decides to sit it out no matter if he's traded that might lead to termination of his contract.

Much more likely is that's it's an issue between him and his CSKA coach and he'll play wherever he goes.

Also, the NHL won’t let the Rangers simply poach him to cover their own ass in the future.

Think of the possibility yet rarity of Group 2 offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad