Rumor: Rangers Trying to Sign CSKA Forward Sergei Shumakov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't think it's a coincidence that it is the same as the age for UFA-eligibility. There is a lot of untapped potential in Europe. This way, there's at least something preventing teams from handing out immediate long-term deals to 24-year old Russians, Swedes, Czechs that slipped through the cracks during their draft-eligible years.

Looks to me like it goes one year beyond the regular UFA eligibility.

I’m not sure why that needs to be prevented though.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
You can put performance bonuses in that one year deal. That’s what Chicago did with Panarin, who had over $2.5m in performance bonuses in each year of his ELC. Granted that I don’t think it’s likely that Shumakov would hit the larger chunk of that kind of bonus, about $1.7m for being a top 10 scorer in the league, but the first part which was $850k for hitting a lighter target (like 20 goals) would definitely be achievable.

Yeah, I still can't see it. Even if he thinks he can earn enough bonuses to get to the 1.5-2M range, he still has to pay whatever penalties are required to get out of his current contract; a contract that guarantees him twice as much money while still living in his home nation.

If there had been persistent rumors about him in past years, I would more inclined to view it as a possibility; but this just reeks of an impromptu negotiating tactic to me.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Yeah, build a team of half Russians. That will win you a cup.

I know there's a lot or you arguing that this is a crappy statement, but unfortunately, i am in the same boat. I have no issues with some Russians on the team, as stated by others, plenty of teams have had russian players play big key roles on cup teams. However, it appears that with our first round selection this year, some of the other guys acquired, buchnevich on the team and the hopes that when "one comes over, hey will bring others over with him" mentality, we are going to be a team of 1/3 or more of Russians. For years, i have felt that bc of the way they are brought up by "mother russia", their culture and such, they really are a different type of player. Over the years they have been labeled enigmatic, lazy, selfish just to name of few adjectives to describe them. Again, i think its bc of the social mentality in russia that makes them have a differnt work ethic over here in the NHL. Ovi and Malkin have been labeled like this from time to time as well. I dont think its just a coincidence. I may be a little biased bc even Kovalev was like that too for many of the years i watched him.......but it just seems to happen more often than it doesn't.

Just my 2 cents.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
but it just seems to happen more often than it doesn't.

It's not that Russians are more "lazy, enigmatic, streaky, soft, whatever," it's that they are more likely to be labeled as such. It's like a woman being called "bossy," while a dude "shows leadership skills."

There is a stigma about Russians, and we reinforce it by repeating it. Those are my two cents.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's not that Russians are more "lazy, enigmatic, streaky, soft, whatever," it's that they are more likely to be labeled as such. It's like a woman being called "bossy," while a dude "shows leadership skills."

There is a stigma about Russians, and we reinforce it by repeating it. Those are my two cents.

Russians aren't lazy. They play a different style of hockey. By that same logic, I can say that Americans are just grinders who are always out of position because they have to skate twice as hard to get to the puck.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Oh cool, now NHL fans are racists. Nothing better than generalizing :facepalm:

Boy this this thread take a turn right down the shitter.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its not just NHL fans, its also NHL teams. Look at Ottawa. Hasn't drafted a Russian player in 11 drafts. Anaheim hasn't drafted a Russian player in 9 drafts.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So, this guy Shumakov, doesn't seem like there's much fire to this smoke, does it? What the hell is the point of this thread then?

Reactions: kovazub94

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Russian isn't a race.

Hockey and hockey culture varies (at least) stylistically from region to region, nation to nation and while a discussion of those differences isn't outright forbidden, we're over-generalizing in this thread, people are getting upset, and we're now completely off-topic.

For now, please use the Roster Building thread for further Shumakov rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad