Rumor: Rangers Trying to Sign CSKA Forward Sergei Shumakov

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Well, his teammates Val Nichushkin, Bodgan Kieslevich and Igor Ozighanov have all signed with NHL teams this summer as well as other KHL players Kovalchuk, Igor Yakovlev, Eeli Tolvanen, Jan Kovar, Pavel Francouz and Mikko Koskinen!
Shumakov has obvious skill, decent size and led the whole KHL in plus minus with +28. I'm sure he and his agent look at Evgeny Dadonov and figure he might have similar success.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yeah, build a team of half Russians. That will win you a cup.

You got issues, bud.

ovi-nastya-stanley-cup-bed.jpg

Stanley_Cup_Penguins_Predators_Hockey__WPXI_AP_1_20170612165720534_8317207_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

da0f0f57d5c99cfe05a93a3cd2d23b9e.jpg

cut.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I love Russian players. The 27 in my username is in reference to my favorite player ever Alex Kovalev. I watch this game for the skill and beauty, and these players typically are the embodiment of that.

That said, I think there is some legitimacy to the concern that a mostly Russian team might have trouble winning the Cup. We all know that the SC playoffs are a grind, a physical war of attrition. This doesn't mean that the winning team won't have any Euros on it, or even that the best player can't be Euro, but if the team is majority Euro in the traditional mold of Euro players, it might not be built for SC playoff success.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Idk which is funnier , the cherry picking you just did , or the Hall of Famer examples you used.

YouTube has not convinced me this prospect would be elite enough to be Fedorov’s underwear for a game yet.

You have to decide which one is funnier. No point in having this potential magna carta sized debate unless you pick one.

Choose wisely, RD.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The players are signed to ELC contracts, under 1m Even if they don't pan out, they don't hurt your cap as they can be sent to the AHL. Certainly can't hurt trying to get an NHLer for free.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The players are signed to ELC contracts, under 1m Even if they don't pan out, they don't hurt your cap as they can be sent to the AHL. Certainly can't hurt trying to get an NHLer for free.

Shumakov wouldn't be on an ELC because he's 25 (will be 26 in September). The cut-off for ELCs is 24.

Just as a thing, but if a player had any sniff of this kind of thing with his NHL team there would be a contingent in here talking about how they don't want a player of that character near the team.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
If you look at the rosters of those teams. They have 1 or 2 Russians at most. So your point was moronic. However, I expected that. Teams with lots of Russians simply don't win cups. Fact. Go check the rosters. Bringing up one or two Russians on a roster is an incompetent argument.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If you look at the rosters of those teams. They have 1 or 2 Russians at most. So your point was moronic. However, I expected that. Teams with lots of Russians simply don't win cups. Fact. Go check the rosters. Bringing up one or two Russians on a roster is an incompetent argument.

Detroit did it.

Reactions: klingsor

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

That's a really poor argument when you consider the total number of Russian players compared to other nationalities. There might be some teams that have more Russians than others, but pointing out that they haven't won a cup is even more flawed given how few teams have had that many Russians playing key rolls and how hard it is to win the cup. You're looking at a small probability within a small sample size and trying to use that to draw a meaningful conclusion. By that logic, I could conclude that teams with lots of red haired players don't win cups either. The "facts" would probably back me up on that.

What we can say for certain is that Washington just won the cup with 3 Russians playing critical roles. Kuznetsov and Ovechkin lead the league in playoff scoring. Orlov was 3rd in ice time for the Caps in the playoffs.

Good players are good players, regardless of nationality. If you can't see that, there's no point in discussing it further.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That's a really poor argument when you consider the total number of Russian players compared to other nationalities. There might be some teams that have more Russians than others, but pointing out that they haven't won a cup is even more flawed given how few teams have had that many Russians playing key rolls and how hard it is to win the cup. You're looking at a small probability within a small sample size and trying to use that to draw a meaningful conclusion. By that logic, I could conclude that teams with lots of red haired players don't win cups either. The "facts" would probably back me up on that.

What we can say for certain is that Washington just won the cup with 3 Russians playing critical roles. Kuznetsov and Ovechkin lead the league in playoff scoring. Orlov was 3rd in ice time for the Caps in the playoffs.

Good players are good players, regardless of nationality. If you can't see that, there's no point in discussing it further.

I think you’re onto something with the red hair thing, though. Have to go all the way to Eric Staal rookie season for a key role by a ginger.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Shumakov wouldn't be on an ELC because he's 25 (will be 26 in September). The cut-off for ELCs is 24.

Just as a thing, but if a player had any sniff of this kind of thing with his NHL team there would be a contingent in here talking about how they don't want a player of that character near the team.

Europeans are the exception to that. They have to sign one-year ELC if they are between 25 and 27.

Article 9.1, subsection C (page 23 of the CBA):

Notwithstanding the chart set forth in (b) above, a Player who at the time he was drafted was playing for a team outside North America or who meets the qualifications set forth in Article 8.4(a)(v) (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to the Entry Level System for one (1) year. A European Player who signs his first SPC at age 28 or older is not subject to the Entry Level System under any circumstances.

This goes for undrafted players as well. Example:

Michal Kempný - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Jan Rutta - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog and Ola

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We tryin to build our own Russian Five here?

We need some US/Canada for sure! :)

Fake news! who knows.. Only Gorton and couple of others have info. on that, and maybe the current president in US. :D

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Europeans are the exception to that. They have to sign one-year ELC if they are between 25 and 27.

Article 9.1, subsection C (page 23 of the CBA):

This goes for undrafted players as well. Example:

Michal Kempný - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Jan Rutta - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What an odd distinction.

AFAIC, this snuffs out any hope of him coming over. Too bad, he looks like he'd be a solid investment.

You can put performance bonuses in that one year deal. That’s what Chicago did with Panarin, who had over $2.5m in performance bonuses in each year of his ELC. Granted that I don’t think it’s likely that Shumakov would hit the larger chunk of that kind of bonus, about $1.7m for being a top 10 scorer in the league, but the first part which was $850k for hitting a lighter target (like 20 goals) would definitely be achievable.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What an odd distinction.

I don't think it's a coincidence that it is the same as the age for UFA-eligibility. There is a lot of untapped potential in Europe. This way, there's at least something preventing teams from handing out immediate long-term deals to 24-year old Russians, Swedes, Czechs that slipped through the cracks during their draft-eligible years.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What an odd distinction.

I don't think it's a coincidence that it is the same as the age for UFA-eligibility. There is a lot of untapped potential in Europe. This way, there's at least something preventing teams from handing out immediate long-term deals to 24-year old Russians, Swedes, Czechs that slipped through the cracks during their draft-eligible years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->