Rumor: Rangers Trying to Sign CSKA Forward Sergei Shumakov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
can't hurt...3 euro right wingers signed. hopefully 1 of them works out. if he doesn't work out you can just terminate the contract and let him go back to russia so little to no risk

Reactions: mike14

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’m interested but I’m curious how he would get out of his KHL commitment unless it involves buying out his contract

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He publicly doesn't get along with the CSKA coach. The guy benched him during the playoffs, and said he wouldn't recommend Shumakov for the Russian National Team. He's holding out, either to the NHL or another KHL team.

CSKA's ask has been ridiculous to other KHL teams in a trade. There are only another few teams in the league who could afford his salary. From what I've read, they are asking for other teams best player in exchange for Shumakov, which is completely unreasonable. Based on the quotes coming out of CSKA, it doesn't seem like he'll be back with them. So there is definitely an incentive to get rid of him. I guess it matters what CSKA could get for him in a trade. If its a lot, I doubt they'd agree to terminate his contract. If its not much, would they take very little in a trade or agree to a termination if thats what Shumakov preferred?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Looks like a very skilled guy but seems really unrealistic they’ll just let him out of his contract rather than trade him for assets

Reactions: haveandare

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Looks like a very skilled guy but seems really unrealistic they’ll just let him out of his contract rather than trade him for assets

thats rarely how it works with these guys...they typically get out clauses in their contract. and more importantly if we are in tank mode and he isn't good enough to play for us then no one is going to want him anyway

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I have no idea what agreements there are between the NHL/KHL right now; but is there the option for the Rangers to help him buy his way out of the contract?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I find it unlikely that CSKA just wont eventually trade him for less than their asking price rather than lose him for nothing and terminate his contract

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What a point to CSKA to let him go, instead of getting anything for him? If they don't wanna trade him for anything less, than another KHL star, they even more so won't let him go to the NHL for nothing.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Wow good news, Shumakov is very talented and has an absolute rocket of a shot. Would be a great signing

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Shumakov is so pale, he makes Buchnevich look like he's just returned from Miami.

To me, having this player suddenly emerge on our radar is a reminder of how much talent is out there. Pieces can be interchangeable, players succeed (or more likely fail) for a wide range of reasons (comfort, health, chemistry). Could Shumakov be arriving at the right place and time? Lias - Namestnikov - Shumakov?

What's the precedence for an August signing like this out of left field? Did the Panthers pull a couple Russians last summer?

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad