TSN: Rangers Taking Calls on Kaapo Kakko

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
A former #2 overall pick in his D+5 season who is woefully unproductive can have his value decline to a late 1st round pick. It doesn’t matter the percentage of 1st round picks that don’t make it.
What does that have to do with the value of fourth liners?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I would think a late 1st round pick, in his D+5 year would do better than 23 pts in a season - which is Kakko's pace on a very good NYR team.
Stupid take. When Kakko get 0min PP1-time he`d have a lot more points in say Arizona with PP1. If you have a 2nd OA-pick and play him low minutes on the 3rd line, it will not develope the player! Rather have him in AHL and get top-line minutes and PP. How the hell can a youngster adjust to beeing elite, if you dont give him the opportunity, but play him in a defensive role?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Doesn’t matter what you think Bern he’s clearly going to want out as an RFA to get in a new environment so he can get more ice and money

If they wait too long they will get Pennies like they did for Kravtsov
no, it does matter what I think
that y9u would be so dismissive w'ot good reason substantiated is not a good look for you

there is always the hope that regardless of how often they have been stupid, they will learn from their mistakes

KK is a keeper barring an exceptional, crazy return

Kravtsov btw was not a complete no talent bum like Lias
and
again for the record
I wanted Dobspn, not Krav

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
no, it does matter what I think
that y9u would be so dismissive w'ot good reason substantiated is not a good look for you

there is always the hope that regardless of how often they have been stupid, they will learn from their mistakes

KK is a keeper barring an exceptional, crazy return

Kravtsov btw was not a complete no talent bum like Lias
and
again for the record
I wanted Dobspn, not Krav

Lias was dealt for a 2nd Cuylee so crisis averted

Atleast Lias is in the AHL and didn’t run home like Kravtsov

It’s easy yo look back but many picks never make the league

I’m just saying they should deal Kakko if the deal is right in the offseason . I’m only guessing he’s going to ask for a trade anyway

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

I’m just saying they should deal Kakko if the deal is right in the offseason . I’m only guessing he’s going to ask for a trade anyway

Irrelevant. We were very, very lucky both to get anything, and then for it to turn out so well. Completely by accident not design. So yes, but also no.

Irrelevant, and while Krav is not 111% without any responsibility here, most of the blame, no ?, is on mgmt for jerking him around.
He got like 1-2 games playing with 1st line Fs. Most of rest he was lesser/scrbss/real drek 4th liners. Set up to fail.
He was justiified to bail, say I don't need this bs.

Irrelevant. Try to draft, then develop well. Always.
Don't always succeed, only God is perfect, and the highest standards for mortals, flawlessness, is still extremely difficult. But at least effin try.

I’m just saying they should deal Kakko if the deal is right in the offseason .
They should NOT look for a trade on KK. Keep an eye open, just in case? Sure.
But not be lookin there.

I’m only guessing he’s going to ask for a trade anyway
And your guess lacks substantiation.
If there is reasonable path upward here, and they will pay reasonably e.g., 2.75 x 8 or so, why would he look to get moved?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Irrelevant. We were very, very lucky both to get anything, and then for it to turn out so well. Completely by accident not design. So yes, but also no.

Irrelevant, and while Krav is not 111% without any responsibility here, most of the blame, no ?, is on mgmt for jerking him around.
He got like 1-2 games playing with 1st line Fs. Most of rest he was lesser/scrbss/real drek 4th liners. Set up to fail.

Don't always succeed, only God is perfect, and the highest standards for mortals, flawlessness, is still extremely difficult. But at least effin try.

But not be lookin there.

If there is reasonable path upward here, and they will pay reasonably e.g., 2.75 x 8 or so, why would he look to get moved?

You are the keep picks or trade for some guy
They did and it worked

8 yrs ? Sigh

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

But not be lookin there.

Why in the hell would Kakko sign for 8 years at 2.75?

Reactions: nashnaidoo

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Bern, rare occasion where I disagree with just about 100% of what you wrote here.

Re: Bold #1--Kravtsov is 100% to blame for his issues. 100%. He objectively failed to make the team out of camp, and then pouted in the AHL for a hot minute before going home. They then gift wrapped him a spot on the team and GAVE him the spot he hadn't earned, and...he showed up to camp out of shape and got hurt several times as a result. He was a 9th overall pick. Not a top 3 pick, and he was a reach at #9. It's his own damn fault if he thought he was entitled to more than he'd earned. Guys in the top 3 have leverage for expecting to get things they haven't quite earned yet. Those guys are rare. The Rangers have had two of them--ever. We draft in the latter part of the top 10 all the time historically. Kravtsov wasn't set up to fail. He refused to put in the work to succeed. Leaving the first time was the wrong decision, but it was his contractual right. Leaving the second time was career suicide. Two different franchises decided that his talent wasn't worth the corresponding nonsense. He's not even top 3 in scoring on his Russian team this year and still plays softer than Charmin.

Re: Bold #2...I don't know. There's no smoking gun or anything, but I was concerned as hell to see Kakko score that brilliant goal the other day and react like he was having a root canal. I don't want Kakko traded, but I'm at the point where I'm getting concerned about whether he wants to be here anymore (HE'S a guy who has been screwed around with quite a bit in NY).

Re: Bold #3, I'm sorry bud, but you need to pass whatever it is you're smoking. Why would Kakko sign long term for 1.5m LESS than he's making right now? Every other team in the league would beat that number.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern, rare occasion where I disagree with just about 100% of what you wrote here.

Re: Bold #1--Kravtsov is 100% to blame for his issues. 100%. He objectively failed to make the team out of camp, and then pouted in the AHL for a hot minute before going home. They then gift wrapped him a spot on the team and GAVE him the spot he hadn't earned, and...he showed up to camp out of shape and got hurt several times as a result. He was a 9th overall pick. Not a top 3 pick, and he was a reach at #9. It's his own damn fault if he thought he was entitled to more than he'd earned. Guys in the top 3 have leverage for expecting to get things they haven't quite earned yet. Those guys are rare. The Rangers have had two of them--ever. We draft in the latter part of the top 10 all the time historically. Kravtsov wasn't set up to fail. He refused to put in the work to succeed. Leaving the first time was the wrong decision, but it was his contractual right. Leaving the second time was career suicide. Two different franchises decided that his talent wasn't worth the corresponding nonsense. He's not even top 3 in scoring on his Russian team this year and still plays softer than Charmin.

Re: Bold #2...I don't know. There's no smoking gun or anything, but I was concerned as hell to see Kakko score that brilliant goal the other day and react like he was having a root canal. I don't want Kakko traded, but I'm at the point where I'm getting concerned about whether he wants to be here anymore (HE'S a guy who has been screwed around with quite a bit in NY).

Re: Bold #3, I'm sorry bud, but you need to pass whatever it is you're smoking. Why would Kakko sign long term for 1.5m LESS than he's making right now? Every other team in the league would beat that number.
@smoneil
my friend, likewise I concur, rarely are we in complete disagreement.
Agr to Disag re Krav

As to KK, per cf he is making 2.1 elc expiring w/rfa next season
\that IS a lowball offer
but the basic principle is sound: less per yr for more term

KK prob takes a 1-2 yr bridge, betting on himself w/Cuylle + a good pivot
but he might go for something longer term for somewhat less

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
@smoneil
my friend, likewise I concur, rarely are we in complete disagreement.
Agr to Disag re Krav

As to KK, per cf he is making 2.1 elc expiring w/rfa next season
\that IS a lowball offer
but the basic principle is sound: less per yr for more term

KK prob takes a 1-2 yr bridge, betting on himself w/Cuylle + a good pivot
but he might go for something longer term for somewhat less

We can agree to disagree, but I'm still right, haha. :)

On KK, I mis-read his CF. Looked too quickly and saw the total contract value as the per year rate. Still think any team in the league would offer more and that there is no incentive for KK to accept that rate for that long.

Completely agree that he's likely to go to arb and take the 1 year option en route to FA. If he hadn't gotten hurt and had been able to build on his season from last year, I think he might have signed long term this summer, but with just one year to UFA, he has no incentive to sign long-term. He can bide his time and pick the situation that best suits him.

Reactions: bernmeister

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Your point is pretty reductive in evaluating the worth of a pick. No one here was making an argument about the absolute value of a late first, it was about how much that pick means to a team like the Rangers trying to compete now vs that of a roster player like Kakko.
I can't find the poster after all that shit you buried with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad