TSN: Rangers Taking Calls on Kaapo Kakko

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
No thanks. The chances that a late first in a mediocre draft ends up being as good as Kakko (despite his disappointing development as a #2OA) are pretty slim.
With Wheeler injury, Rangers are definitely not trading Kakko. It is more realistic in the off-season, but I agree price should be higher. He is still top 10-15 in his draft class with solid top 6 upside.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
No thanks. The chances that a late first in a mediocre draft ends up being as good as Kakko (despite his disappointing development as a #2OA) are pretty slim.

LOL. Jets traded that pick, but a 24th or 25th overall is all he is worth right now. Tops. Another weak year in 2024-25, and you drop to 2nds for the guy. I can see the why the Rangers are dangling him a TDL. He has the value of late 1st, maybe, so get something for a serious cup contender. I would throw Lafreniere on the pile, too, frankly. Rangers have a great team. Go get the cup.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I would think a late 1st round pick, in his D+5 year would do better than 23 pts in a season - which is Kakko's pace on a very good NYR team.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I would think a late 1st round pick, in his D+5 year would do better than 23 pts in a season - which is Kakko's pace on a very good NYR team.
You should instead be looking at current chemistry
better off holding
keep w/Cuylle + Brodz, maybe later upgrade on Brodz

no giving away at discount
no youth for vets

Reactions: klingsor

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You should instead be looking at current chemistry
better off holding
keep w/Cuylle + Brodz, maybe later upgrade on Brodz

no giving away at discount
no youth for vets
Chemistry is nothing without production. Its like saying look at his size, speed and give us the world (despite the fact he can't produce offense).

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Chemistry is nothing without production. Its like saying look at his size, speed and give us the world (despite the fact he can't produce offense).
He's been on something of a heater (5 points in 7 games and a forechecking machine) since they put him with....Will Cuylle and Johnny Brodzinski.

can't make this shit up.

Kakko's once again doing his tale of two seasons thing. He played 20 games where he was awful and got hurt, and since he's got his legs back under him, he's been...frankly, really good.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
LOL. Jets traded that pick, but a 24th or 25th overall is all he is worth right now. Tops. Another weak year in 2024-25, and you drop to 2nds for the guy. I can see the why the Rangers are dangling him a TDL. He has the value of late 1st, maybe, so get something for a serious cup contender. I would throw Lafreniere on the pile, too, frankly. Rangers have a great team. Go get the cup.
How do you start the post with LOL to laugh at somebody else, but then end it with something like that?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is he up for arbitration this year for salary? You are making points that he deserves. A big raise
Yes, he is arbitration eligible, but he doesn't have a case for getting a significant raise. My guess is he takes a 1-year deal.
This is a disingenuous argument for 2 reasons. One, Kakko put up 40 points last year, almost entirely at even strength. There is context to explain why Kakko is having a down year, which I won't bother going into, because you'll ignore it or call it an excuse. Regardless, he has shown that he can put up quality points in a 3rd line role without PP time. He hasn't all of a sudden regressed or forgotten how to play at the age of 23.

The second reason it's disingenuous is because that 1st round pick won't help us any time soon. We need what Kakko contributes now way more than we need what a 1st round pick will contribute 5 years from now.

Kakko has been playing well of late and seems to have more confidence than he did earlier in the season. Our 3rd line as a whole is playing well. I don't see Drury moving him, especially since Wheeler got hurt last night.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I think the context being missed here is how much better he’s looked since getting separated from Zibanejad and in particular Bonino. At this point Bonino is at best an AHLer. On the other hand, Zibanejad is an NHLer, but at 5v5 the vast majority of his offense is off one-and-done rushes. Kakko on the other hand is a much grindier, cycle-based offense guy.

It’s no coincidence that he and Cuylle have looked great together as soon as they got a C that’s willing to play that puck control, cycle style game. Just look at Kakko’s numbers before and after Bonino was waived and Kakko started playing with Johnny Brodz.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Wheeler just had a serious leg injury. The Rangers cannot afford to move a right wing, even if they pick up another at the deadline. This thread should be closed - Kakko is not moving.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Rangers should hold onto him.....Your team is competing now. Why would you trade a perfectly good young NHLer who although has disappointed somewhat, can still contribute to the team success. A draft pick won't help the team for another 4-5 years. You have nothing to lose by keeping him at this point. If he doesn't end up being the first line player you all expected long term, he can be a big 2nd-3rd liner that can be a valuable part of the team long term.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
chicken + egg

need ability to have POTENTIAL for production
but to have synergy, get more out of multiple pieces
that requires CHEMISTRY

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I was told I was crazy that Rangers fans weren't asking for more than a first...
Kakko - despite being somewhat disappointing for a #2OA, is still an NHL player. The chances of a pick in the late 20's in a not terribly deep draft becoming an NHL player is probably 30-ish percent. I'd rather keep Kakko instead of getting a mystery box that might be as good as Kakko.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Rangers should hold onto him.....Your team is competing now. Why would you trade a perfectly good young NHLer who although has disappointed somewhat, can still contribute to the team success. A draft pick won't help the team for another 4-5 years. You have nothing to lose by keeping him at this point. If he doesn't end up being the first line player you all expected long term, he can be a big 2nd-3rd liner that can be a valuable part of the team long term.
This is exactly how I see it. Tough to ignore his draft position, but he is already an important piece on this team, whose role will only expand as vets age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad