san francisco
Visit site
giphy.gif

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I read that apparently Dreger has talked to a few NHL execs who have called the Rangers' response "ridiculous", or words to that effect.

Now, assuming that's true, compare and contrast to the near universal support that the Rangers have been getting from fans and most of the talking heads. If NHL execs really think like that en masse, that really just goes to show how utterly out-of-touch the people who are in charge of the league are with current sensibilities and expectations around acceptable behaviours and consequences for stepping over the line.

Some serious introspection is in order on the massive backlash that the NHL has received for their handling of this incident.

It's a bunch of old men that still remember the 70s fondly. There's no league stuck in its ways like the NHL. And that's why it'll always be an also ran league no one in this country takes seriously.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Leafs fan here, and I just wanted to say I have the utmost respect for what the Rangers organization posted on Twitter from this incident. I'm not really sure what will happen in tomorrow's game, but if they boycotted them game, I'd support that too. It's a great thing, when a team stands up for their players, and player safety.

Thanks, but boycotting isnt the answer. That would be foolish.

Go out and play the game hard and beat them. Cleanly. And dont go our of your way to make a "point".

Why lower yourself to Wilson? To me if you want that shit out of the game, two wrongs don't make a right. You want retribution but where does the cycle end?

This is why the NHL failed. They needed to step up and take care of this bafooon instead of leaving it up to the players. He shouldn't be lacing up for tonight at the very least.

Who wants that in a game? Going toe to toe with two willing combatants is one thing. And even that can be debatable. This is different.

Reactions: JCProdigy

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Leafs fan here, and I just wanted to say I have the utmost respect for what the Rangers organization posted on Twitter from this incident. I'm not really sure what will happen in tomorrow's game, but if they boycotted them game, I'd support that too. It's a great thing, when a team stands up for their players, and player safety.
the game is tonight NBC Sports

Reactions: Fogelhund

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Say what you want about Jeff Gorton and JD, but when given the opportunity they always try to do the stand up thing. This statement was strong, to the point, and it wasn't whining. It was sticking up for all the players in their organization and clearly beyond. It was the right thing to do.

That said, call up Geertsen please. There's nothing wrong with having a guy on your bench who can answer the bell, especially in a game like this. It can't all be on Brendan Smith. Not when the caps have so many jerks on their team.

Starting in the offseason, the Rangers need to find a center that can play with a bit more of a snarl. Ideally it's a top 6 C -- someone who can lead on the ice as well as off. But really any C would work for now. And then they need to find 2-3 vets with tons of jam, size, speed who can move up and down the lineup. 2 Fs and 1 D.

The Rooneys and Blackwells were shrewd signings because the team had no cap space and couldn't afford the 2-3m utility types that can bring a more truculent tough mentality. But with cap space, this needs to become the priority. Losing Rooney or Blackwell to SEA or anyone else is fine with me. We need to start building a team toughness. And as a result Gorton and JD may be forced to move out some of our skilled guys to make space. I think the writing is on the wall for Strome/Buch, possibly Zib but could also be Kravtsov as well. And I think, sadly, one of Jones, Fox, Lundkvist will likely not be here in two years.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's a bunch of old men that still remember the 70s fondly. There's no league stuck in its ways like the NHL. And that's why it'll always be an also ran league no one in this country takes seriously.

I mean the 70's was a great decade by a lot of accounts, but Bruins players climbing into the stands to attack fans isn't something I'd point to as a highlight of the decade.

"In our day we rubbed dirt on a cut. Sure, it gave us sepsis later but infections build character"

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The NHL execs taking the side of a goon over the one of the top 5 players in the world playing for the biggest market in the NHL makes me think that if they were in charge of the NBA they would have marketed Charles Oakley instead of Jordan.

Last edited:
Reactions: nsvoyageurs

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Say what you want about Jeff Gorton and JD, but when given the opportunity they always try to do the stand up thing. This statement was strong, to the point, and it wasn't whining. It was sticking up for all the players in their organization and clearly beyond. It was the right thing to do.

That said, call up Geertsen please. There's nothing wrong with having a guy on your bench who can answer the bell, especially in a game like this. It can't all be on Brendan Smith. Not when the caps have so many jerks on their team.

Starting in the offseason, the Rangers need to find a center that can play with a bit more of a snarl. Ideally it's a top 6 C -- someone who can lead on the ice as well as off. But really any C would work for now. And then they need to find 2-3 vets with tons of jam, size, speed who can move up and down the lineup. 2 Fs and 1 D.

The Rooneys and Blackwells were shrewd signings because the team had no cap space and couldn't afford the 2-3m utility types that can bring a more truculent tough mentality. But with cap space, this needs to become the priority. Losing Rooney or Blackwell to SEA or anyone else is fine with me. We need to start building a team toughness. And as a result Gorton and JD may be forced to move out some of our skilled guys to make space. I think the writing is on the wall for Strome/Buch, possibly Zib but could also be Kravtsov as well. And I think, sadly, one of Jones, Fox, Lundkvist will likely not be here in two years.

I agree with the first part, but if they bring up a goon then their statement is a little hypocritical.

Are they absolving any of their players returning fire by releasing that statement? I really don't expect anything happening, unless of course Wilson starts shit again, unprovoked. And that wouldn't surprise me.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Playing Geertsen in his first NHL game just so he can go out and fight Wilson isn't the right thing to do for Geertsen. And I'm sure the NHL would use it as a reason to hammer the Rangers.

I won't be at all surprised if Smith jumps Wilson at some point, as he's the only one who can do it. Unfortunately, that won't solve the problem.

If the NHL had suspended Wilson for even 1 game, they could have diffused the entire situation. Maybe the Rangers would still be upset, but Wilson wouldn't be in the lineup tonight, inviting further escalation.

Reactions: SixGoalieSystem

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Yes. I'm just staying that JD is old school and would tell Fievel from An American Tail to go eff himself.

I know, my comment was in support of you, I probably should have multi quoted. Bettman chewing out JD isn't going to impress him much.

Reactions: SRHRangers

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
1) Pretty hypocritical wanting more toughness on this team and then criticizing one of the leaders when he shows some.

2) Wilson was smashing a player in a prone position on the ice. Doesnt matter how small or big that player is. Its basically a hit to the head, with intention.

The question I have for all of these tough guys is what would they do if their teammate was getting pummeled on the ice with his head down? Hmm?

I'm sure they are all smaller than Wilson too.
Also, you could have Ryan Lindgren on the team but if he's not on the ice, the situation plays out exactly the same way. Maybe Lindgren fights Wilson later in the 3rd but again, the plays out the same exact way so team toughness is 100% irrelevant to the outcome.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
The NHL execs taking the side of a goon over the one of the top 5 players in the world playing for the biggest market in the NHL makes me think that if they were in charge of the NBA they would have marked Charles Oakley instead of Jordan.
NBA players routinely brawled in the 70s. The NHL won’t be happy until Tom Wilson Kermit Washington’s someone.

Most everything I have read about all of this has the expectation he will really hurt someone and get a long suspension or ban. Words said now in support of him will be seen in a different light once that happens.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Playing Geertsen in his first NHL game just so he can go out and fight Wilson isn't the right thing to do for Geertsen. And I'm sure the NHL would use it as a reason to hammer the Rangers.

I won't be at all surprised if Smith jumps Wilson at some point, as he's the only one who can do it. Unfortunately, that won't solve the problem.

If the NHL had suspended Wilson for even 1 game, they could have diffused the entire situation. Maybe the Rangers would still be upset, but Wilson wouldn't be in the lineup tonight, inviting further escalation.

Problem is, there will likely be fireworks at some point tonight. And it's equally as bad thing to do to Brendan Smith when he's your only option to drop the gloves. Geertsen's role has always included fighting. It's not new. He's faced the biggest meanest guys in the AHL. It's his role already. If anything you're putting him in a position to succeed. There's nothing wrong with carrying a little extra protection when you have 4-5 Caps who can bring it. Think about it this way, Rangers bring up no extra protection for the game and Chytil or Kakko or Laf or Jones gets run and injured. The Brass will have to answer to its players and its fans for why they didn't bring anyone up as a protective measure. I'm not dressing Geertsen as anything more than a deterrent.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

That's not fair to Smith either. Wilson is out of his weight class.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Guys like Jamie Oleksiak, Nic Deslauriers are solid players that can also police and play the game. No reason the organization can't grab a couple of these guys. No reason to have 40 Di Guiseppe's and Rooney's.
When Pittsburgh had Oleksiak, the coach ran his mouth and hyped up what Oleksiak was going to do and Wislson dusted him off. Pittsburgh thanked him by trading him to Dallas.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
NBA players routinely brawled in the 70s. The NHL won’t be happy until Tom Wilson Kermit Washington’s someone.

Most everything I have read about all of this has the expectation he will really hurt someone and get a long suspension or ban. Words said now in support of him will be seen in a different light once that happens.

I REALLY hate this saying but these people are legit on the wrong side of history. Well said.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I read that apparently Dreger has talked to a few NHL execs who have called the Rangers' response "ridiculous", or words to that effect.

Now, assuming that's true, compare and contrast to the near universal support that the Rangers have been getting from fans and most of the talking heads. If NHL execs really think like that en masse, that really just goes to show how utterly out-of-touch the people who are in charge of the league are with current sensibilities and expectations around acceptable behaviours and consequences for stepping over the line.

Some serious introspection is in order on the massive backlash that the NHL has received for their handling of this incident.

The people in the NHL are stuck in the 1950s. There is still too much of an "old time hockey " mentality in the league. Time has evolved, society has evolved, but the NHL hasn't and I'm skeptical it ever will. They are incapable of considering a broader view on things; they are supposed to be an entertainment entity. This is among the reasons the NHL will never be more than a niche/regional/local sport in the United States; they make it impossible for people to like the NHL as they do everything they can to shoot themselves in the foot (one of the few things they're really good at). They are so short-sighted and small-minded.

They need to find out what kind of game they want to present, where they are going as a sport and a league. They just signed a $600+M per year deal with ESPN and Turner Sports. Is the current game, and incidents like this what they want those entities talking about all the time? Their mentality seems to be "there's no such thing as bad publicity" especially whenever they get mentioned on ESPN and some of the news networks. They have to do some deep soul searching, but I don't think they are capable of conducting the self analysis that is required. They are so insular, they think everything is OK; that they don't have to change anything. They need to hit rock bottom before they realize they need to change; they are like addicts in denial.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

for all that its worth. The NHL is the only sport that is better to watch now than 30 or 40 years ago. And its because they didnt change it too much.

Basketball is a joke, football is quickly becoming less interesting with all the roughing penalties and lack of any defense or running plays, and baseball has less action than golf now and a pitcher cant even throw inside without getting ejected or warned.

maybe, just maybe being stuck in the old ways means a better game.

fight has a place in the game, as long as its two willing combatants. Its fun, its interesting, emotional and completely optional. Even the players like it as per polls done in the past couple years.

cheap shots are what needs to be taken out of the game and dealt with. Especially those on non-hockey plays. The rats and repeat offenders need to be dealt with much quicker and more severely.

Parros failed to do that.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
The NHL execs taking the side of a goon over the one of the top 5 players in the world playing for the biggest market in the NHL makes me think that if they were in charge of the NBA they would have marked Charles Oakley instead of Jordan.

I can't like this post enough. It would be typical NHL with their cave man mentality. They would screw up a 1 car parade. They would lose the car on the way to the parade.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
The people in the NHL are stuck in the 1950s. There is still too much of an "old time hockey " mentality in the league. Time has evolved, society has evolved, but the NHL hasn't and I'm skeptical it ever will. They are incapable of considering a broader view on things; they are supposed to be an entertainment entity. This is among the reasons the NHL will never be more than a niche/regional/local sport in the United States; they make it impossible for people to like the NHL as they do everything they can to shoot themselves in the foot (one of the few things they're really good at). They are so short-sighted and small-minded.

They need to find out what kind of game they want to present, where they are going as a sport and a league. They just signed a $600+M per year deal with ESPN and Turner Sports. Is the current game, and incidents like this what they want those entities talking about all the time? Their mentality seems to be "there's no such thing as bad publicity" especially whenever they get mentioned on ESPN and some of the news networks. They have to do some deep soul searching, but I don't think they are capable of conducting the self analysis that is required. They are so insular, they think everything is OK; that they don't have to change anything. They need to hit rock bottom before they realize they need to change; they are like addicts in denial.

the reason NHL is and will remain a niche sport has notjibg to do with the hitting and fighting.

it has everything to do with it being so god damn expensive to play. Also lack of ice rinks and leagues. But mostly the barrier to entry is cost.

but keep thinking it has to do with fighting. Thats cute.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I posted this on the main boards:

So two questions:

1) The people that are all about enforcers, toughness, and sticking up for teammates are criticizing Panarin for defending his teammate because Wilson is bigger than him?

2) The people are criticizing Panarin for defending his teammate by grabbing Wilson because he's bigger than him but are ignoring the fact that Wilson went after a skill player who is 20+ pounds lighter than him in Buchnevich? Who here was the tougher guy the guy going after the bigger guy or the guy going after the smaller skill guy?

Don't forget to add " a smaller player in a very vulnerable position". It just perplexes me that people are defending Wilson. A player is facedown and pretty much hand cuffed purposely gets a stick to the throat while being repeatedly punched in the back of the head. How anyone makes excuses for that is mind-numbing. I think its a whole lot of blinders and cope from the people them. Some people don't have the mental capacity to handle being wrong. It's quite scary to be honest.

Reactions: CLW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad