Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Ryan Strome 2Y/4.5M AAV]

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
At the same time, there are no guarantees that this isn’t a deal we will regret in the near future. 2 years can be a long time.

He’s tradable if he performs anywhere close to last season. I don’t think he’ll totally nosedive, but I guess there’s a risk with any contract. Injury... diminishing production... etc...

Reactions: Ola

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
4l63fu.jpg

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
this was my suggestion a year ago, he would have been fine for a year or 2, but now with Kreider signed

praying they don't burden and distract Zib, it derailed McDonagh's arc
I recall even Leetch didn’t thrive with the C on his jersey. Not everyone is cut out to wear it.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Wait... What??! You wanted Strome to be our Captain?
I can’t tell who’s serious and who’s kidding anymore on these boards.

yes i seriously thought Strome w C a reasonable option, for a 1-2 season interim
a year ago, Kreider and Fast were pending UFAs, Staal was being deemphasized, Trouba & Panarin just arrived,
and even a year ago, Zib was our best emerging player, and my not wanting to distract him w the C

Strome, as young but established NHL veteran, who seemed to have rapport w Coach Quinn, could fill the role for a while
but w Kreids re-signed, he's maybe a more likely choice

now, with many folks are calling Laf the inevitable C, IMHO Strome, for a season and a half, or 2, has little downside
(I confess I have atypical perspectives, I am totally fine with both giving Strome the C AND exposing him to Seattle)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If he puts up another year at the pace he had last year then he’s a very tradable asset if they decide to move on from him.

Yeah having him locked in at a specific price might make him more attractive next season in a trade if that's how it pans out

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Meh, still a little much, IMO. Think this is definitely expansion draft fodder. AAV is $4.5M, but the structure is $4M in year one and $5M in year two.

I think they would try to trade him before the expansion, ultimately not wanting to pay him the extra cash (unless he can repeat last year or solidify himself as a threat on his own).

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Meh, still a little much, IMO. Think this is definitely expansion draft fodder. AAV is $4.5M, but the structure is $4M in year one and $5M in year two.

I think they would try to trade him before the expansion, but ultimately don't want to pay him the extra cash (unless he can repeat last year or solidify himself as a threat on his own).

I’d rather see him at 4 or 4.25 for two years, but I hardly think it’s worth quibbling over. More money comes off the books next year. I’m still not sold on Chytil as a C, but if he continues to develop then Strome can easily slide to the wing opposite of Panarin or 3C. Unless he has an absolutely brutal year then I think he can be moved or let walk in expansion depending on his play.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

I think they would try to trade him before the expansion, but ultimately don't want to pay him the extra cash (unless he can repeat last year or solidify himself as a threat on his own).

Not sure why the money was backloaded. We’re one of the richest teams in the league. A trade becomes more palatable to less wealthy teams if they’re paying less year 2.

A couple hundred thousand I don’t think is a dealbreaker. The extra year is good for exapnsion or trade fodder if he continues his pace.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not sure why the money was backloaded. We’re one of the richest teams in the league. A trade becomes more palatable to less wealthy teams if they’re paying less year 2.

A couple hundred thousand I don’t think is a dealbreaker. The extra year is good for exapnsion or trade fodder if he continues his pace.

If you're the player and you're playing in one of the most heavily taxed areas of the country and you're more than likely going to be in a different location in the future, wouldn't you prefer to make more money where you won't be taxed as much?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Best case scenario- Strome slides in at RW on Panarin's line if Chytil goes gangbusters.

Worst case scenario, Strome stinks this year and we are sort of stuck with him and his cap hit in 2021-22

The in between, and most likely, is that Strome continues to be acceptable as a stopgap 2C and Chytil slowly, slowly improves while hopefully getting some minutes with top 6 players to work on chemistry and style.

Strome SHOULD be on PP2 this year though, not PP1

Reactions: WAIVE BRODZINSKI

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If you're the player and you're playing in one of the most heavily taxed areas of the country and you're more than likely going to be in a different location in the future, wouldn't you prefer to make more money where you won't be taxed as much?

It's not a 1-1 ratio, but less taxed areas tend to be less desirable areas for individuals and families who enjoy a cosmopolitan lifestyle.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Strome hasn't even hit his ceiling yet. He's coming into his own as Breadman's running mate. He got a good deal. Hope he builds on last year and becomes a long term fixture here.

Reactions: leetch99

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's not a 1-1 ratio, but less taxed areas tend to be less desirable areas for individuals and families who enjoy a cosmopolitan lifestyle.

Eh, I'd argue that used to be more the case than it is currently. Most of the places with higher tax rates like to think that is still true though...

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Strome hasn't even hit his ceiling yet. He's coming into his own as Breadman's running mate. He got a good deal. Hope he builds on last year and becomes a long term fixture here.

Look I like Ryan as a compliment to Panarin, but if he puts up good numbers over the next two years he's gonna get massively overpaid for what he brings by some unlucky franchise, and I hope it isn't us.

If Buchnevich 'isnt the kind of player we can afford to keep forever' because of his flaws and complimentary nature compared to guys like Kakko, Panarin, Lafreniere, Kreider, than so is Strome 200%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad