Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Ryan Strome 2Y/4.5M AAV]

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Look I like Ryan as a compliment to Panarin, but if he puts up good numbers over the next two years he's gonna get massively overpaid for what he brings by some unlucky franchise, and I hope it isn't us.

If Buchnevich 'isnt the kind of player we can afford to keep forever' because of his flaws and complimentary nature compared to guys like Kakko, Panarin, Lafreniere, Kreider, than so is Strome 200%

I would basically guarantee that Strome is not a Ranger in 2 years.

Reactions: zephyr

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Look I like Ryan as a compliment to Panarin, but if he puts up good numbers over the next two years he's gonna get massively overpaid for what he brings by some unlucky franchise, and I hope it isn't us.

If Buchnevich 'isnt the kind of player we can afford to keep forever' because of his flaws and complimentary nature compared to guys like Kakko, Panarin, Lafreniere, Kreider, than so is Strome 200%

One could even make the argument that if the Rangers don't have a replacement for Strome in two years (be it Chytil or an option not currently on the roster), we probably have some serious work to do.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
It's not a 1-1 ratio, but less taxed areas tend to be less desirable areas for individuals and families who enjoy a cosmopolitan lifestyle.
Some states have no state income tax. There’s also general cost of living. A $5mm mansion in the NYC metro area might cost half that or less in St. Louis or Vegas or Detroit or Chicago etc. You get far less bang for your buck in NYC. At the same time, those places aren’t NYC. So you gotta find your value.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
no complaints here, i really think Chytil is gonna grow into that body. this gives us time there.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
This is fine.

Hopefully Panarin boosts his point totals even farther, and some team coughs up a 1st rounder or B+ prospect for him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He probably has more value at two years rather than one. Any team trading for him will want more than a handful of games to evaluate him with their team before making a decision on whether to re-sign him as a UFA.

Depends on a trade partner - one that considers keeping him long-term would appreciate a longer look see while contender that is looking for the depth for the playoff run might want an expiring contract.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Not sure why the money was backloaded. We’re one of the richest teams in the league. A trade becomes more palatable to less wealthy teams if they’re paying less year 2.

A couple hundred thousand I don’t think is a dealbreaker. The extra year is good for exapnsion or trade fodder if he continues his pace.

Covid is still a thing, so the rich might be showing how "rich" they actually are.

Fansince1992

May 18, 2014
Not sure why people are saying 2 years is too much. We can trade him if he has another big year with Bread man, keep him if Chytil can't play top line minutes, or expose him in the expansion draft.

Reactions: cwede

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
What? 2 years is fine. He’s very tradable at $4.5M after this season.

Agreed, it's a fair deal. I think a lot of people are too hard on Strome. Is he a true #2 center? Maybe not on a deep team. But we aren't a deep team yet.

He made the most of his opportunity last year playing with Panarin. And got rewarded appropriately. I'd much rather have players that outperform their potential in the right role rather than the opposite. If he continues to improve, it's only a good thing.

Reactions: will1066

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
It's a great deal. He's only 27. For all the complaints he gets, he's come here and played well above expectation for minimal money.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Not sure why people are saying 2 years is too much. We can trade him if he has another big year with Bread man, keep him if Chytil can't play top line minutes, or expose him in the expansion draft.

This is gonna be a big year for Chytil because as of right now, he's terrible at faceoffs, he's not a good defender, he's not physical, and outside of a flashy goal here and there, he's not very good offensively.

Reactions: leetch99

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Pretty jazzed on this deal. I didn’t want him more than 2 years and the cap hit is relatively fair.

I’m by no means a Strome fan, he drives me crazy half the time. But I’ll always have a soft spot for guys that come to NYR and play their best hockey. Pouliot, Grabner, Boyle, Gaborik, etc. There are so few of them.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
2 years is a perfectly acceptable position for the Rangers. I think Strome got his dollar figure by trading the second year. I don’t think a two year contract, especially with expansion coming is the best possible length for a rising UFA. Strome probably saw the alternative as having to crawl back and accept the Rangers arbitration offer.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If Chytil takes the 2C spot right out of camp then we’re paying 4.5 mil to a 3C.. not a fan of that.

Even if Chytil wrestles the second line center spot away, you still have him as safeguard for a little bit and in that scenario you move him.

I really don't see it as a hindrance, or something that is blocking an upgrade at this particular time.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Meh. Not a big fan of the term. 1 year would have been better. Lack of center depth seems like the main reason we are holding onto him. Also seems like no trade offer blew the Rangers’ minds, or else I think he would be gone. Better to hope for similar production than to trade him for way below perceived market value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad