Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Ryan Strome 2Y/4.5M AAV]

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I thought it was pretty obvious what my thoughts are in regards to him actually being a 2nd line center
Where on the spectrum of 2nd line centers he is ,we can debate. That, when with a superstar, he absolutely was and is. His points per game last year placed him 25th among all centers. Full stop.
"A guy who got carried to vastly overinflated totals, was actually a significant negative away from the score sheet and had little to no trade value despite his overinflated totals bc of how much of a negative he was when not scoring. We pissed away a goddamn 2nd to pcik up Jack Johnson's corpse and this bum"
1) How do you know what his trade value is?
2) How did the team loose a 2nd round pick for Johnson and Strome?
3) When you refer to his inflated totals, is that because Panarin had the temerity to actually score when passed to? Strome's assists should be discounted because all anyone has to do is fling the puck to Panarin's side of the ice and it will result in a goal?
This isn't just "Paying 4 M for a guy who is without a doubt a bona fide 2nd line center."

Why pretend like it is?
So again, what is your solution? To thrust Chytil into the role, even though he has not come close to demonstrating that he is ready for such a position? Or were you going with a UFA? If so, what second line center were you getting and what were you paying for him? Or is the point to sign simply anyone because anyone can do it?
Now if you feel he will continue to put up the same kind of stats and improve slightly in other areas I wouldn't say you're wrong bc he absolutely could.

I just don't think that's what's going to happen. I think he'll regress and we paid a 2nd rounder to watch him do it. My opinion is based on that. But my fingers are crossed that I'll be wrong
Not sure that he, ZBad or Panarin will put up the same stats. However, considering that away from Panarin he was trending to being a 42 point players, I would not be the least surprised if he was in the mid-50s next year being Panarin's pivot. Can he improve in other areas of the game? Sure. If we all have hope that DeAngelo can improve his play away from the puck, why not Strome?

Reactions: will1066

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Chytil's closer to being the fourth line center than the second line center. Don't get me wrong, I like the potential and I've liked some of what I've seen but 39% on the dot and 9 assists doesn't get you more minutes. I'd bet on him being put back on the wing in a year or two. They'll make a big splash in free agency or a trade down the road but it's too early right now.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Where on the spectrum of 2nd line centers he is ,we can debate. That, when with a superstar, he absolutely was and is. His points per game last year placed him 25th among all centers. Full stop.

1) How do you know what his trade value is?
2) How did the team loose a 2nd round pick for Johnson and Strome?
3) When you refer to his inflated totals, is that because Panarin had the temerity to actually score when passed to? Strome's assists should be discounted because all anyone has to do is fling the puck to Panarin's side of the ice and it will result in a goal?

So again, what is your solution? To thrust Chytil into the role, even though he has not come close to demonstrating that he is ready for such a position? Or were you going with a UFA? If so, what second line center were you getting and what were you paying for him? Or is the point to sign simply anyone because anyone can do it?

Not sure that he, ZBad or Panarin will put up the same stats. However, considering that away from Panarin he was trending to being a 42 point players, I would not be the least surprised if he was in the mid-50s next year being Panarin's pivot. Can he improve in other areas of the game? Sure. If we all have hope that DeAngelo can improve his play away from the puck, why not Strome?
Strome is older and he plays a position where defense is less important. He also takes a lot of dumb penalties which indicates he might not exactly have the hockey I.Q. of say a Datsyuk.

Reactions: WAIVE BRODZINSKI

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
A lot of my posts/ my name are a nod to this places typical awful posters who can't read and have an even harder time responding appropriately to what they've read bc they fail to understand it.

So your response is really ironic bc it perfectly represents what my name lampoons.

Im not pretending it's impossible for him to maintain his scoring from last season. What's more, I even acknowledged that it's fine as long as he can be expansion fodder.

But, no surprise, you're pretending like it's impossible for him to regress to what he had been for the majority of his career, ignoring what I said about the expansion draft, while being a complete dick to me at the same time. That's how this place works

Would you like kleenex?

When did Strome cost a 2nd round pick?

Name an arbitration eligible center that put up the points Strome did at a cheaper price.

The 2nd year is obviously for flexibility with the expansion draft. Flat cap + expansion draft means many teams will be in tight situations. Our cap is much healthier in 2022 than next year with all the dead cap coming off.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The longterm C situation will be addressed at some point. There are a lot of moving parts. Will Z stay healthy. Can Chytil take the next step. Can Strome perform without Panarin. Do any of our prospects have the ability to slot in as bottom 6 centers? Fortunately we have plenty of assets so moves will be made. But they don't need to be made today. It will be dealt with in the next year.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Chytil's closer to being the fourth line center than the second line center. Don't get me wrong, I like the potential and I've liked some of what I've seen but 39% on the dot and 9 assists doesn't get you more minutes. I'd bet on him being put back on the wing in a year or two. They'll make a big splash in free agency or a trade down the road but it's too early right now.

Phone battery was at 72% when I read this. It was a sign.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Think Covid prevented this guy from getting more years and AAV. Glad we will get another chance to liquidate him for assets.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I really-watched a bit from this past season and focusing on Strome, I was pretty impressed. More than I had remembered, he’s really a sharp player in the offensive zone. I still don’t see him as a guy who’ll do well in the playoffs but he is really a good offensive player.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Unrestricted free agency after the two seasons motivates him in Rangers cup run year of 2021-22.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I really-watched a bit from this past season and focusing on Strome, I was pretty impressed. More than I had remembered, he’s really a sharp player in the offensive zone. I still don’t see him as a guy who’ll do well in the playoffs but he is really a good offensive player.

one of the few guys with skill that will fight when needed, and is good at it for his size.

Reactions: egelband

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I watched a bunch of Strome and Panarin highlight. I feel like Strome is really putting himself into good positions. He's really earning those goals he got (unless you disregard his empty netters). Quite a few nice ones. Curious how often he was paired with Panarin on the PP. From the videos it seems like only 1/2 the time. Guessing more PP time would have gotten him like only another 5 pts though. He's unlikely our long term 2c but i feel optimistic about him repeating 60 pts.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I watched a bunch of Strome and Panarin highlight. I feel like Strome is really putting himself into good positions. He's really earning those goals he got (unless you disregard his empty netters). Quite a few nice ones. Curious how often he was paired with Panarin on the PP. From the videos it seems like only 1/2 the time. Guessing more PP time would have gotten him like only another 5 pts though. He's unlikely our long term 2c but i feel optimistic about him repeating 60 pts.
I would doubt that he is the long term solution. I do not think anyone views him as such. But for a several year stop-gap that is fairly versatile? What more are people looking for?

cwede

Sep 1, 2010

I would doubt that he is the long term solution. I do not think anyone views him as such. But for a several year stop-gap that is fairly versatile? What more are people looking for?

he's fine,
Strome is perfect example of a player who, at least on these NYR teams, while he is a top 6 F, he is not 'part of the core'
he contributes to the O,
but yeah, sometimes he disappears (as do Kreids and Buch...)
and last season, too many unforced penalties, especially in O zone ...

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
well hopefully he scores another 60 and we can "Brassard" him. Former top 5/6 pick traded for someone else's younger 1st round 5/6 player that blossoms into a stellar player.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

Strome played ~85% of his PP minutes with Panarin. And ~75% of his 5v5 minutes.

If he plays a full season at ES with a healthy Panarin and plays on the 1st PP unit, he should near 60 points easily.

If he plays on the 2nd unit PP I could still see him around 60 if Panarin has another bananas season but more likely you are looking at him nearing 50 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad