Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Ryan Lindgren to ECL

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Hoping for a pre Dion Phaneuf version of Mike Sauer. I saw a good highlight video of him and actually he kinda reminded me a little of McDonagh.

Reactions: kovazub94

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not too worried about seeing him this year. If he does come up, am sure he will be promptly banished after he as much as throws one check or glares at someone.

Reactions: x BEUKEBOOM x

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
No joke, this organization could desperately use an in-his-prime Girardi. If Lindgren could become that it's a ****ing home run.
Agreed. Plus, he seems better moving the puck than G. A lot of people tend to think puck skills with d-men are a binary where they're either offensive d-man who can score 40 points or they're defensive d-men who can't exit the zone without banking it off the glass. Modern defensive types may not put up tons of points, but they can exit the zone quickly and distribute the puck without constantly turning it over. If he can do that, shut down other teams scorers and throw his weight around, that's a huge win no matter how many points he scores.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Agreed. Plus, he seems better moving the puck than G. A lot of people tend to think puck skills with d-men are a binary where they're either offensive d-man who can score 40 points or they're defensive d-men who can't exit the zone without banking it off the glass. Modern defensive types may not put up tons of points, but they can exit the zone quickly and distribute the puck without constantly turning it over. If he can do that, shut down other teams scorers and throw his weight around, that's a huge win no matter how many points he scores.
Do you mean before they reach the NHL, or while they're in the NHL? If you mean, in the NHL, I can't agree. Stralman had 38 points in 3 seasons as a Rangers and I don't think anyone viewed him that way. I do tend to be quick to dismiss low point total defensemen in juniors and college as not likely to competent puck-movers at the NHL level, though.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Do you mean before they reach the NHL, or while they're in the NHL? If you mean, in the NHL, I can't agree. Stralman had 38 points in 3 seasons as a Rangers and I don't think anyone viewed him that way. I do tend to be quick to dismiss low point total defensemen in juniors and college as not likely to competent puck-movers at the NHL level, though.
I mean in the NHL and to many fans that are closer to casual fans than consistent HF posters.

Reactions: Thirty One

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
High character kid. Love his attitude and play style.

He's not going to be a corsi friendly guy.

IMO my comparison for him is Radko Gudas minus the dirty hits every 5 games.

Likes him a lot in the WJC. He and Lias should be kids that they try to integrate next year in a leadership role. Probably not going to play much in the NHL but I'd like to see him be that primary shutdown option in HFD.

I actually think he and ADA would make a good D pair.

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
All I ask is that Ranger fans be patient with him. He will likely never be a star but a true solid 4 dmen. D is the hardest position to come into in the NHL and with your team transition there should be no rush. let his game grow at the ahl level as the NHL team rebuilds. I know this is going to get me blasted but do it the Boston way. Use rd 2 and on based on iq and growth of talent that may need 3 college years of less games but better long term development. College players come out and need less than 2 years to prosper long term. Canadian JR players play nhl schedules and that may not be the better long term plan for rd 2 and on players.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
High character kid. Love his attitude and play style.

He's not going to be a corsi friendly guy.

IMO my comparison for him is Radko Gudas minus the dirty hits every 5 games.

Likes him a lot in the WJC. He and Lias should be kids that they try to integrate next year in a leadership role. Probably not going to play much in the NHL but I'd like to see him be that primary shutdown option in HFD.

I actually think he and ADA would make a good D pair.

Funny thing is, Gudas is actually quite "corsi friendly"

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Funny thing is, Gudas is actually quite "corsi friendly"

I don't think Lindgren will be. See him as a guy that starts a lot of his time in the dzone and pairs out against checking units and gets off.

His play style is that of a Gudas.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Im really surprised (actually not) that some of you have an issue with this kids potential. Lets say worst case scenario he is a Radko Gudas type. (I think he will be a solid 4) that would mean we got him and Spooner and a first ( I’m not even counting Ogara who sucks) for two months less of Rick Nash. You guys being negative in any way shape or form about this kid are nuts. Period.

If he does turn into Girardi I would be ecstatic. G in his prime was a GREAT defender for us.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If dan girardi could skate and didn't immediately throw everything up and off the boards he'd be a second pair defenseman. His lack of mobility is what causes his gaps to be gigantic.. but he's always been a solid guy at most other in zone facets .

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Girardi was a really good player for a while. The problem for him is the game got faster and in between all that Tortorella turned him into his main shot blocking defender and that was important to Torts--he wanted everybody blocking shots all the time. Eating shots constantly and playing through injuries IMO took their toll on Girardi....and then AV comes in with his man on man defensive system which played to Dan's weaknesses. So now in Tampa he's in a bottom pairing role and not expected to block a million shots and he's doing alright. At least the Tampa fans for the greater part seem to think so.

On to Lindgren. I think he's a better skater than Dan ever was and though not quite as big Ryan is more of a physical player. Basically looks like he'll be a stay at home defensive oriented defenseman. That's not necessarily a bad thing as long as he can move pucks smartly out of his own zone to other teammates moving up the ice. That he's played in two WJC's for the US is an accomplishment--so there is a skill level there.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Im really surprised (actually not) that some of you have an issue with this kids potential. Lets say worst case scenario he is a Radko Gudas type. (I think he will be a solid 4) that would mean we got him and Spooner and a first ( I’m not even counting Ogara who sucks) for two months less of Rick Nash. You guys being negative in any way shape or form about this kid are nuts. Period.

If he does turn into Girardi I would be ecstatic. G in his prime was a GREAT defender for us.
Let’s say worst case he’s Radko Gudas.

lol.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Mar 26, 2004
I think some of you should YouTube his wjc highlights. His skill level is considerably above that of Gudas. Skating and passing is light years ahead of Dan G.
Kid could see pp time.

Reactions: haveandare

darko

Feb 16, 2009
From what I've seen of him he's a good skater. Good mobility. He's no McD but he's way better than Girardi.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Does anyone else find it weird they don’t mention at all that Lindgren played with Lettieri last year?

They keep talking about his relationship with Brady, which is fine, but Lettieri captained and actually played with Lindgren

Just seems odd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad