Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Nathan Gerbe

KreiderHouseRules*

Is this a joke about Buch not making the team out of camp?

The 3RW spot is his to lose.

The only question will be if he spends most of the year on the 3rd line or moves into the top 6.

He didn't come here to play in the AHL. He's already produced in a superior league.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

The only question will be if he spends most of the year on the 3rd line or moves into the top 6.

He didn't come here to play in the AHL. He's already produced in a superior league.

Besides wishful thinking, what is this based on? He could not make the top-6 in the KHL except on a terrible team. Even a great KHL team is still weaker than ANY team in the NHL. The development camp hasn't produced good reports even though he's playing against guys who are mostly ECHL level or below.

At this point, my expectations are that he starts in the AHL at least for early part of the season, and Butcher mentioned that he's ok with that.

The idea that rookies get a spot and it's theirs to lose is the imagination of the fans, it's not reality. It's no different than people expecting Skjei to make the team last year, Fast the year before, and for Kreider to immediately be a top-6, maybe even first line player in 2012-13. Before that it was Hagelin and before that Grachev. Novak, Brendl, Cherneski, Ferraro Twins. Almost every year, there are insane expectations and most of the time it doesn't come true - it didn't even come true for McDonagh who started his pro career in the AHL.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

He's a good prospect, but he's not Connor Mcdavid. You can be optimistic, but you have to be realistic as well. Zuccarello was a reigning SHL MVP... Lindberg was a stud... Both guys needed to play in the AHL. YouTube highlight videos are cool and all, but he's never played at this level before. Let's not throw unrealistic expectations on this kid - that's not a recipe for success.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
He's a good prospect, but he's not Connor Mcdavid. You can be optimistic, but you have to be realistic as well. Zuccarello was a reigning SHL MVP... Lindberg was a stud... Both guys needed to play in the AHL. YouTube highlight videos are cool and all, but he's never played at this level before. Let's not throw unrealistic expectations on this kid - that's not a recipe for success.

Really good point. Callahan, Dubinksy, Anisimov, Kreider, McD, Zucc, Hagelin ++ All of these established NHL players today, but went through AHL first.

I especially remember Kreider. The expectations were enormous, and the fans talked about him as the new savior and wonder kid. The club even burned a whole year of his ELC just to get him to the playoffs in 2012. Had a good playoff, but played most of his following season in AHL, and also a few AHL games in the 13/14-season. I kind of have the same feeling about Buch. Seems like a lot of people are looking at him the same way as Kreider, and expects him to make the team after camp and be a hit from the first puck drop. Who knows, maybe he will be, but it shouldn´t come as a shock if he is a Wolf come October....

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Buchnevich can go back to Russia rather than report to the AHL. It's in his contract. The Rangers aren't risking that. He will be on the opening night roster.

And the only reason Kreider played most of 12-13 in the AHL was because of the lockout.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
did he?

im not so sure...personally, i thought he sucked.

Grabner to me was just kinda...there....

the only 4th line player who showed me anything whatsoever was Boo Nieves..

Grabner did nothing.

Gerbe at least looked like he was doing something.

Neither stood out however.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Grabner did nothing.

Gerbe at least looked like he was doing something.

Neither stood out however.
grabner did nothing, totally agree...i thought gerbe looked bad though...where grabner did nothing i felt like gerbe helped the opposition.

ill take the player who is neutral than the negative player.

kinda like the girardi vs mcilrath argument.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Best of luck to him, he'll do well in that league. Between the money and the beautiful country, not a bad place to play. Maybe get another crack at an NHL job next year.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
At the very least Grabner can help satisfy requirements for expansion draft eligibility.

So based on that alone, for me at least better Gerbe gone than Grabner.

member 116805

So who was it saying that he had insiders saying Gerbe was a 100% lock?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
So who was it saying that he had insiders saying Gerbe was a 100% lock?

I wasn't one to ever have said he was a lock, or should be,
but i did cite a few times that he had played strictly NHL for 6 years, last in AHL '09-'10, so I was grudgingly anticipating he'd end up on opening roster

glad NYR did the best thing here

wouldn't have minded if he stayed w HWP,
might've provided midseason depth when injuries pile up;
but NYR do have Lindberg, Hrivik, Jensen, Nieves behind Jooris, Pirri, Grabner

member 116805

Nope it wasnt you, hehe.
Honestly, I liked Gerbe in the pre season and would have liked to keep him over Grabner who has looked bad in both the pre season and the olympic qualifiers

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Grabner is a better player than Gerbe. Grabner is faster, better on the forecheck, quicker to get on a guy with the puck on the PK and is good with his stick check to intercept passes for shorthanded breakaways. He is better suited for our 4th line than Gerbe was. Gerbe was also invisible in the preseason

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Grabner is a better player than Gerbe. Grabner is faster, better on the forecheck, quicker to get on a guy with the puck on the PK and is good with his stick check to intercept passes for shorthanded breakaways. He is better suited for our 4th line than Gerbe was. Gerbe was also invisible in the preseason

Gerbe is also a midget.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
http://www.gshc.ch/News/Nathan-Gerbe-signe-un-contrat-de-3-ans.html
Nathan Gerbe signs 3-year contract
Nathan Gerbe: " I am very excited to discover a new league and a team that shares my values: perseverance, pride and courage. With leaders and coaches, we speak the same language. I know what they expect of me and I am delighted to show my passion for hockey to its supporters, it seems, are the best in Switzerland. It's a new life begins for me and my family in Geneva, an opportunity for me to a new level as a player and grow as a person. "

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad