Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Fredrik Claesson (1 year x $700k)

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
It makes sense. Why sign a guy whose name you can spell correctly on the Cup if there's no chance of winning it?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yeah I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea who this is.
He's solid, but he's spent a lot of minutes with Karlsson over the past two years, so it's hard to isolate what is EK and what is Claesson. On the other hand, the fact that he has skated 448 minutes of 5v5 ice over the past two years with EK should say a bit about those skills. He certainly was not a drag on Karlsson, either, which is encouraging. I think if he didn't have to drag Borowiecki around the ice for 200 minutes, his numbers would be a lot better.

Might just be a guy where we need to see what he can do with a more consistent partner and usage. Might just be a guy who is a 7D. For $700K? I'm happy to see and find out.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Yeah I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea who this is.

he played against NYR in the '17 playoffs Ottawa series

didnt really know of him before then
i recall a few good plays and 1 where NYR got a good scoring chance

he anyway never looked to me then, as overmatched as O'Gara or Gilmour did at times in March

Maybe Lindgren, Hajek, Bigras or Day beat him out for the 7D spot, but he's got 100+ NHL games

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I like not bad. No risk at all. He looked pretty decent against us in the Playoffs in 2017.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Skjei, Shatty, Pionk, Staal have roster spots.

Claesson, Smith, Gilmour, DeAngelo, Gilmour, O'Gara are six for three spots.

Given how bad those options are, I don't see how it makes sense to not give Smith a chance to prove himself after last season. What can we really lose? We take some playing time away from roster fodder? Maybe he can be a bottom pairing guy for three years. Maybe he plays well, and has some trade in two years. I also don't think Gorton is going to let DeAngelo hit waivers so easily. He needs to be rostered to start the season, otherwise he'll be on waivers.

If AV was in charge, I might suggest Kampfer could make the roster, but I doubt it now. Send him to Hartford for the last year of his deal. The preferred guy of Claesson/O'Gara compete with Gilmour for the last spot.

I think the roster ends up like this.

Skjei-Shatty
Staal-Pionk
Smith-DeAngelo
Gilmour

Bottom pairing might be Smith on the right side with Gilmour, and DeAngelo in the press box. Also a chance Claesson or O'Gara take Gilmour's spot.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Given how bad those options are, I don't see how it makes sense to not give Smith a chance to prove himself after last season. What can we really lose? We take some playing time away from roster fodder? Maybe he can be a bottom pairing guy for three years. Maybe he plays well, and has some trade in two years. I also don't think Gorton is going to let DeAngelo hit waivers so easily. He needs to be rostered to start the season, otherwise he'll be on waivers.

If AV was in charge, I might suggest Kampfer could make the roster, but I doubt it now. Send him to Hartford for the last year of his deal. The preferred guy of Claesson/O'Gara compete with Gilmour for the last spot.

Skjei-Shatty
Staal-Pionk
Smith-DeAngelo
Gilmour

Bottom pairing might be Smith on the right side with Gilmour, and DeAngelo in the press box. Also a chance Claesson or O'Gara take Gilmour's spot.

Pretty much this. But you never know where either Staal or Smith be hockey-wise and a cheap depth signing is what a doctor ordered to not unnecessarily rush our LD prospects into NHL roles while they are developing in the AHL. Gilmour spot is a fair game.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes true - he might play with Wolfpack start of this season.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

Skjei-Shatty
Staal-Pionk
Smith-DeAngelo
Gilmour

I’ve had more than enough of ADA (and, yes, I realize he’s still 22) and think he’s a lost cause; the press box seems like a nice place for him. Unfortunately, though, I don’t see better options immediately available.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
If you're signing a 25 year old Dman to a 1 year deal at $700K, he isn't worth spending much breath on. Maybe better than some of the not really NHL-calibre Dmen the Rangers threw out there last season, but not by much.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
having a good season?

He's been doing okay. He's kind of like the 7th D but he usually is solid defensively when he gets to play. He's got a decent shot but he's not very offensive. He uses his size well--he's not afraid to take a hit or give one. He seems to have a very good attitude. Good team guy. I don't know whether we're going to re-sign him or not. We got him as an UFA but I think he's listed on Cap Friendly as an RFA. I wouldn't be against it but if we're looking at our left side Brady Skjei is our best all around D and a young guy--really a second pairing guy though and playing him as a first pairing guy he's over his head a bit. Then there's Staal who has contract protections but the coaching staff like and they're also enamored with Libor Hajek--been giving him on the job training recently. So Claesson if he does come back with us has all those guys in front of him and also competition from Smith (who can play the right side) and another young prospect Ryan Lindgren.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad