Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Fredrik Claesson (1 year x $700k)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Another LD, but a good depth signing. If anything, it'll be nice to have a pipeline of guys who can play NHL minutes at the ready. Played with Karlsson a lot last year and did well with him.

Reactions: Ori

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's a good move. We've have times where there were 2-3 NHL defensemen injured at once. Now you've got this guy, O'Gara and Kampfer. Maybe Gilmour depending on how it shakes out. It allows you to play any of them without having to force a kid into the lineup who isn't ready. That's the right way to do it. It's also good if you have to waive someone and lose them.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Nice grab for a 7th D. Already had Kampfer there as a super-cheap option but Freddy is 25 yrs old and showed some real promise in 16-17. With a load of LD prospects and a logjam of vets, hopefully it's a sign that Staal or Smith could be on the move... retaining cap of course.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m happy with this deal. A very low risk trade, and all benefits and our D depth is better with this signing.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I could see Claesson pushing Staal down to the 7D spot. From what I've seen, he's sturdy on the back end but doesn't bring much else. He'd be a good short term partner for Shattenkirk or DeAngelo in my opinion.

Reactions: Phnxldr

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Yea, this screams that Smith might be going the other way on a really crappy cap dump coming to us....Otherwise, we have way to many fringe LD (basically all of them except Skjei)....

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Good deal, needed a veteran defenseman, got one on a 1 year deal.

Insulates a Hajek or Lindgren from being force fed minutes. Preserves some organizational dignity by having an option to keep a John Gilmour from being able to play.

Good on Gorts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->