Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Fredrik Claesson (1 year x $700k)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
having a good season?
Good bump. Even though he has been sitting often lately (in part due to injury) he has been solid. Not flashy in any way, but doesn't stand out as a dman that screws up often.
Surprised no team took a flyer on him at tdl.

His potential re-signing seems eerily familiar to Stralman. Because of the logjam that probably isn't going anywhere, & possibility of Lindgren, Rykov or whomever, breaking camp,
Makes me think he may be "odd man out", even though he doesn't deserve that fate.
I would keep him in a heartbeat, if we could "unload" at least one of........well, u know.
Imagine signing him for 1.5mil, and offloading approx a 6mil.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
per CF, he becomes RFA, maybe trade his rights for a ~4th and move on

(... or what LarryBiv just said ...)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Good bump. Even though he has been sitting often lately (in part due to injury) he has been solid. Not flashy in any way, but doesn't stand out as a dman that screws up often.

His potential re-signing seems eerily familiar to Stralman. Because of the logjam that probably isn't going anywhere, & possibility of Lindgren, Rykov or whomever, breaking camp,
Makes me think he may be "odd man out", even though he doesn't deserve that fate.
I would keep him in a heartbeat, if we could "unload" at least one of........well, u know.

FWIW I can see Claesson catching on with another NHL team and playing a similar kind of role if we choose not to re-sign him. He's not nearly as established though as Stralman was for us and Stralman is and has been the better player. I don't think 'deserve' has much to do with it. For any given team you have to beat out your competition and in the Rangers case if and when they deem players with more future (like Hajek or Lindgren) are ready room has to be made for them. The last two years have been painful in watching long time Rangers being moved just for those future prospects. We shouldn't let a more marginal player stand in their way. The way ahead for the organization is what has to happen.

But anyway the Rangers might choose to re-sign Claesson and I think he has been solid and more than worth his cap hit.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I really can't see similarities to Stralman in any way other than both being Swedes. Role, salary, team's rights, reasons to move away from or to keep - all widely different.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
He was pretty good early, hasn't been the same since the injury. I don't think they'll qualify him. Too many people need minutes.

Maybe get a 2020 7th rounder for him? Rangers are expecting something big in 2020 7th round or maybe several of our scouts will need their sons drafted to get a college scholarship.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Qualifying him is a no brainer unless the Rangers first trade his rights. He costs next to nothing. You can trade him and if you put him on waivers and he is claimed you are no worse off than if you hadn't qualified him. If he isn't claimed he costs nothing against the cap since he is below the $1 million cushion. I think he is the perfect 7th defenseman who can credibly play either side and fill in as needed. But I understand that with Staal and Smith (although Smith is now playing better) there is a room crunch.
He was pretty good early, hasn't been the same since the injury. I don't think they'll qualify him. Too many people need minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad