Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign D Jack Johnson to one-year deal

Yuck

Sep 8, 2009
On the bright side, if the point was to make sure there was competition in camp for Miller to outperform we should be seeing alot of K'Andre

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Probably the guy on his couch that thinks he knows more than guys who have spent time in an NHL locker room

Oh yeah, I forgot these hockey geniuses are infallible. You need a better argument than appealing to authority. Once again, being good in the lockerroom is fine, but being good in the lockerroom and being a good player is not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Trueblue30

Jan 31, 2009
If we wanted character we should have just signed Chara to a one year deal. That I could at least see being beneficial in some ways

Reactions: Lion Hound

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It's about the process. They looked at every available option and decided that Jack Johnson was the guy who would fit the role. This is not a rare occurrence where the team values terrible players because of some intangible garbage. There are players who won't be a net negative out there who were and will be cheaper than Johnson who can fill out the roster and yet this is the guy they choose when it's obvious he's not NHL caliber.
Maybe they think him knowing the system already will be helpful in camp? Maybe nobody better is willing to take a role like this where they’re pretty likely not to play much if at all?

This is a nothing contract.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
How do the Rangers keep finding themselves in need of character? Are the majority of the other players they have all lacking in it?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Maybe they think him knowing the system already will be helpful in camp? Maybe nobody better is willing to take a role like this where they’re pretty likely not to play much if at all?

This is a nothing contract.
I doubt the system is so complex that they needed to sign Jack Johnson to explain it to the rest of the D. They signed him because they believe he will be a positive influence on the ice.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I have to imagine this to be some kind of Martin reclamation project attempt. And someone mentioned the Columbus JD connection, and JD knows what he's doing.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Not sure why fans are losing their shit over it. It’s a cheap 1 year contract and its just for depth. He isn’t going to be playing on the top 4 . Probably a 6/7 defenseman

Given the way fringe players have been force fed minutes in recent Rangers history, this is a bold take.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I don't see what the fuss is. He's a stopgap until Miller, Reunanen, or Robertson earn the spot. Still better than Staal in that same spot.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wow, all of you guys are crazy. We just got a top-pairing LD for $1.15. Gorton does it again!

7E09424C-D7C6-4C0A-BD00-A3EFC96B4F15.gif

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I doubt the system is so complex that they needed to sign Jack Johnson to explain it to the rest of the D. They signed him because they believe he will be a positive influence on the ice.
I didn’t say they needed to - you don’t go 1 year 1M for a veteran player because you think you need anything at all from him. He might be helpful in some way though.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I have to imagine this to be some kind of Martin reclamation project attempt. And someone mentioned the Columbus JD connection, and JD knows what he's doing.

Honestly, it’s human nature to choose the turd you know over the mystery box.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I honestly don't even know if it's a reclamation project so much as a cheap safeguard in the face of uncertainty right now.

This is a killing time move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad