Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign D Jack Johnson to one-year deal

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I have no problem with the contract. What i got problems with is as it stands he'll get way too many minutes. We got Lindgren and Hajek on the left side...

Coaches value veteran presence.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
It's process. When you're making a decision. It should be how does it help? Does it hurt? There's no way for any money that this is a net positive for the team. So why? It's the first day of FA. Why this move? Afraid someone else was going to scoop him up?

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Igor’s agent is about the only guy who’s going to love this signing, since he will do so much to keep his guy in the frame.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Watch him come to camp, get beaten by a kid, be sent to the ahl, refuse to report, and that’s that. Meanwhile people in here are lighting themselves on fire about how he’s sure to be on the ice every night.

Hes not good. The terms are in line with someone not good. Any number of kids should be able to outperform and keep him off this team unless he improves miraculously.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I am so sick of the need for "veteran leadership" from guys who stink.

This is like saying you learn how to **** by watching someone else **** your girl. And in this case someone who is the worst in the league at it.
Young players learn from playing. Bottom line. Of we are sitting Hajek or K next year in favor of this carcass I will be mad.

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
Fine with it. Yeah he's bad. He could easily be buried in Hartford if need be. Warm body placeholder for one of the LHD on the depth chart to supplant him.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Fine with it. Yeah he's bad. He could easily be buried in Hartford if need be. Warm body placeholder for one of the LHD on the depth chart to supplant him.
Placing a cold body in the middle of the ice would be better then Jack Johnson

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Watch him come to camp, get beaten by a kid, be sent to the ahl, refuse to report, and that’s that. Meanwhile people in here are lighting themselves on fire about how he’s sure to be on the ice every night.

Hes not good. The terms are in line with someone not good. Any number of kids should be able to outperform and keep him off this team unless he improves miraculously.
Its more likely he will be ass at camp, make the team over a younger player who played better than him because they want that younger player to get bigger minutes in the minors (Miller). Then continue to play like ass for the Rangers.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC

And even if this happens. It's STILL a bad move.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Its more likely he will be ass at camp, make the team over a younger player who played better than him because they want that younger player to get bigger minutes in the minors (Miller). Then continue to play like ass for the Rangers.
I disagree. They’ve shown little to no preference for doing that the last few years.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
For what it is worth: I have been on teams with talented jackasses who played selfishly and created tension in the locker room and in practice. I have also been on teams with untalented mensches who play selflessly and create positivity in the locker room and in practice. There were instances where the talented jackass was a net negative to the team, and the untalented mensch a net positive. Of course, you'd like to fill your team with 20 talented mensches if possible. But the world is not so easy.

You don't need everyone to be talented and a good "muh lockerroom guy". How about some, and some talented neutral guys? There's NEVER a reason to get a talentless guy whether he's good in the lockerroom or not.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It's very telling that the 2nd greatest defense of this signing in this thread is "sometimes you need a good locker room guy but I'm not going to actually address a fair question about why we couldn't shoot for a good locker room guy who can actually play."

The greatest defense was Crease who at least was level headed and pointed out sometimes it's just tough to do.

This franchise has a pattern of terrible FA scouting though. I'm more inclined to believe they actually think he's good enough to play AND will be a good locker room guy.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

It's about the process. They looked at every available option and decided that Jack Johnson was the guy who would fit the role. This is not a rare occurrence where the team values terrible players because of some intangible garbage. There are players who won't be a net negative out there who were and will be cheaper than Johnson who can fill out the roster and yet this is the guy they choose when it's obvious he's not NHL caliber.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Hopefully one of the 50 LHD prospects we have can make a push this season. I mean theres gotta be at least ONE top TOP 6 LHD in that pile, right?!

Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad