Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Cody McLeod to a one year deal

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I hope this is really for the Wolfpack to protect the kids down there, this guy gets beaten to a bloody pulp in most NHL fights.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Who ****ing cares? The team isn't contending next year and McLeod is a completely "who cares" player to have. He's obviously a good influence. It's a one year deal.

He's obviously a good influence? I'd like to know what you're basing that on. Honest question...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's obviously a good influence? I'd like to know what you're basing that on. Honest question...

Everything I have ever read about McLeod is that he's a great locker room guy and an excellent guy to keep around. Whenever you read about McLeod, the only real positives are his character, leadership, locker-room presence, etc. I think it's pretty safe to say that he's widely considered a good influence on and off the ice and that is one of the only (if not the only) reasons he is still employed.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I’m choosing to look at it as the Rangers just hiring a really expensive babysitter for the kids.

Surprised the Islanders didn’t snatch him first.

That's exactly what this is. It's better than the Giants paying 3.5M a year for Jonathan Stewart to help out Barkley, though. That's for sure.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's such a great influence that one of the best teams in the west waived him in January.

It's almost as if they may use him as a good influence up in Hartford. You know that we have a team there, right? How much of his salary do you think will impact our cap if he's playing in Hartford?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It's almost as if they may use him as a good influence up in Hartford. You know that we have a team there, right? How much of his salary do you think will impact our cap if he's playing in Hartford?
Bingo. I am sure McLeod was thrilled to get a contract and if I had to guess, I don't think he will care if he has to play in Hartford. I am sure they discussed with him what his role will be before signing the contract. Guys like this don't have very long careers. For him to earn one more NHL paycheck is a big deal and he will do whatever the Rangers organization needs him to do.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Bingo. I am sure McLeod was thrilled to get a contract and if I had to guess, I don't think he will care if he has to play in Hartford. I am sure they discussed with him what his role will be before signing the contract. Guys like this don't have very long careers. For him to earn one more NHL paycheck is a big deal and he will do whatever the Rangers organization needs him to do.

Right. He's one of the guys out there that you literally never hear a peep on regarding anything negative about his behavior. Yes, he's a crappy player. But we are talking about a contract barely above league minimum for a guy who, by all accounts, is a hell of a guy to have around. It's painfully obvious that we are not aiming to compete this year and want to grow the kids.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Maybe they are not too sure what to expect out of this season and they just do not want to be caught unprepared.

Not trying to say this prepares them, was a good move, more so just trying to say I understand it to a point.

We want the whole team to go into the corners and fight for the puck, want them to hit in order to separate man from puck, we want them to jump in should something happen, mostly we want them to be physically and emotionally engaged and to stick up for one another.

Whether they need a McLeod or not to do that is very much up for debate in my mind, but even if there is a chance he helps facilitate that, at this term and cap hit, it may be worth a shot.

I'd be more adamantly against the move if either the term or cap hit were a hindrance, or if I thought the entire team these past couple seasons was turning the other cheek just due to coaching, or if I thought they had some of this "element " in the system waiting for a chance.

They have many players who came out of college, or from outside of North American leagues, not many of which spent a long time in the AHL, I know I am generalizing but that is not where tons of "grit" or whatever one wants to call it usually comes from. Developmentally usually the OHL/WHL progressing to the AHL are in my mind, "grittier" places to come up through.

Again it's not that I like the move, or idea in general, or think this really leads to the team being more "gritty", more so I think the Rangers were very likely to add something of this "element" and this term/cap hit makes the most sense if they were going to do it anyway.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

So if he's so great to have around and has such a cheap contract that it has a minimal cap hit (zero if in the AHL) then why did Nashville get rid of him for nothing in the middle of a season when they were one of the favorites?

It's not like they were a full veteran team they had plenty of young players too (Arvidsson/Fiala/Sissons/Saros etc.)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So if he's so great to have around and has such a cheap contract that it has a minimal cap hit (zero if in the AHL) then why did Nashville get rid of him for nothing in the middle of a season when they were one of the favorites?

Why do you think this matters?

Perhaps Nashville didn't care about the locker room presence since they were a competing and not rebuilding team. Who gives a shit? Unless you have something that would indicate he's anything but what basically every single report says he is (crap hockey player, great team guy), I'm not sure why you'd even continue down this line of "I wonder . . .".

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Maybe they are not too sure what to expect out of this season and they just do not want to be caught unprepared.

Not trying to say this prepares them, was a good move, more so just trying to say I understand it to a point.

We want the whole team to go into the corners and fight for the puck, want them to hit in order to separate man from puck, we want them to jump in should something happen, mostly we want them to be physically and emotionally engaged and to stick up for one another.

Whether they need a McLeod or not to do that is very much up for debate in my mind, but even if there is a chance he helps facilitate that, at this term and cap hit, it may be worth a shot.

I'd be more adamantly against the move if either the term or cap hit were a hindrance, or if I thought the entire team these past couple seasons was turning the other cheek just due to coaching, or if I thought they had some of this "element " in the system waiting for a chance.

They have many players who came out of college, or from outside of North American leagues, not many of which spent a long time in the AHL, I know I am generalizing but that is not where tons of "grit" or whatever one wants to call it usually comes from. Developmentally usually the OHL/WHL progressing to the AHL are in my mind, "grittier" places to come up through.

Again it's not that I like the move, or idea in general, or think this really leads to the team being more "gritty", more so I think the Rangers were very likely to add something of this "element" and this term/cap hit makes the most sense if they were going to do it anyway.

Well said.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why do you think this matters?

Perhaps Nashville didn't care about the locker room presence since they were a competing and not rebuilding team. Who gives a ****? Unless you have something that would indicate he's anything but what basically every single report says he is (crap hockey player, great team guy), I'm not sure why you'd even continue down this line of "I wonder . . .".

So a locker room presence doesn't matter for a competing team? Then what exactly does this mystical presence accomplish? Presumably if his presence was important it would end up yielding better results on the ice since he is able to help their younger guys improve and improve the team chemistry.

I'm not saying he's not a good locker room presence. I'm saying locker room presence is a farce and has no bearing on the teams play.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So a locker room presence doesn't matter for a competing team? Then what exactly does this mystical presence accomplish? Presumably if his presence was important it would end up yielding better results on the ice since he is able to help their younger guys improve and improve the team chemistry.

I'm not saying he's not a good locker room presence. I'm saying locker room presence is a farce and has no bearing on the teams play.

Or a team values something like that less in a competing team versus a rebuilding team looking for someone to mentor young players. It's kind of hilarious that you are suggesting that anyone here is even discussing McLeod's "bearing on the teams play" when I think the majority of us at least understand that this team isn't going to be competing for anything other than a high draft pick this year.

Again, this is a one year signing for barely above league minimum. We don't even know if he's going to make the Rangers. Keep your bitching to a minimum until the season starts, because it's so cringe-worthy right now.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'm done with this conversation but do you intentionally misconstrue everything I state or are you just exceedingly poor at understanding the English language? For your sake, I hope it's the first one.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

There are some things that are opinions, some things that are misguided opinions, and some things that are simply wrong. I’m not sure which of the latter two this post falls under.

This concept of people whose ability to help a team become more coherent, despite their personal lack of ability, has literally been around for thousands of years and has been proven effective over and over and over.

Reactions: MarkMessyay11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad