Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Artemi Panarin (7 years, $11.64M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Damn! #10 - Thought he would go with something a little more sexy with a 9 and or 7 in it.

But hey, 9 and 11 are retired... maybe he's got aspirations?

Notable Rangers who've worn #10

Gaborik
Miller
Duguay
Larouche
Lafleur
Tikkanen
Savard
Harvey
McCarthy
Dawes
Nieminen

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Panarin will be nowhere close to the team carrier that Hank was, for a starter. I'm certain he's not worth the money. This is Rick Nash all over again, or any of the other UFAs NYR has bought for the last couple of decades. Panarin isn't a 14% salary cap kind of player, he's an elite piece to complement a 14% kind of player.

Karlsson can dictate a game, Panarin can't.

Sure, but he's the only player on this organization that deserves the final years of overpayment. He has earned it, compared to a bunch of other "stars" who've played for this team. NYR is the kind of franchise to sign a player like Lundqvist for $8.5m after being a legend on some other team. Still after all these years.

If NYR would've been more competitive and had a couple of other players who would aspire for a Conn Smythe, he wouldn't have that contract now. When he's the only Conn Smythe candidate on the team, year after year, that's what you have to pay.
Yikes. It sounds like you dont know Panarin at all.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yah Panarin absolutely OWNED us to an insane extent

He had 12 g 6 a in 12 games against the Rangers. He has at least a point in every career game at MSG, and at least a goal in 4 of 6, including two hat tricks. He also scored his first NHL goal against us.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The only thing laughable is dismissing the notion that an already oft injured, slowing down, aging EK on the wrong side of 30 will definitely not regress massively and soon.

If you want to believe he returns to 70-80pt EK flying up and down the ice until he's 38, cool, but to assume it's a certainty just makes you seem waaaaaay too high on your own opinions
but EK65 is Swedish and Panarin is not...soooo.......

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yikes. It sounds like you dont know Panarin at all.
I've watched him enough. Good skater, terrific passer, adequate shot, not that great defensively, but can hold his own. Great vision, but not the strongest will power. A very good player, but not exactly the player to deserve a 14% salary. When he single handedly carries a team to a Stanley Cup final, I can shut up about him having the same % salary as Hank. Otherwise, someone can tell me why I don't care as much about the guy that carried the team to basically a playoff every year and to some great chances, pretty much single handedly.

Panarin isn't a McDavid kind of guy. He's very skilled, but he's not 14% skilled. He's more of a complement to Zibanejad, while Zibanejad is a complement to him. Panarin doesn't carry a line, he helps carry a line. You don't pay anyone 14% unless he can carry a line. That is overpayment, that is my criticism.

If I'm wrong, we'll see. I don't think I am. Don't get me wrong, I like Panarin, he's an elite player. But he's not a 14% kind of player. He's a 8-10% piece at best. I hope he proves me wrong. I don't dislike him or his game, I dislike his salary. I'm happy he plays for NYR, but not at those terms. That smells of desperation. NYR should've waited, they can't wait. They needed another top pick if they wanted to suck. Now it's back to being mediocre, because the core isn't there. NYR has the Ovechkin, but not the Bäckström. They have Malkin, but not Crosby. They have Kane, but not Toews.

No patience. A fake rebuild, which will land in mediocrity. You need two star picks to land a modern dynasty. You think Kakko and Panarin is it? Well... no. Because the rest of the team is in shambles and they're not enough. Kakko is paid 1/10th of Panarin. That's how you win.

Last edited:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Fairbairn

Old school....good call...that's who I thought of too....Billy Fairbairn. The young un's here probably never heard of the Bulldog...lol

I thought of Pierre Larouche as well who also wore #10...loved him during his times with the Rangers. What a sniper he was.

Reactions: egelband

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Damn #10 looks good on him. Is it Oct yet?!

It really does. When I read last night it was between 27 and 10 in a vote on Instagram, it was an easy call for me as I thought #10 would be the easy call.

Besides when I think of #27 only Alex Kovalev should be able to unofficially wear that number seeing it wouldn't look good on else even Panarin

Before I had read that it was either 27 or 10, I was thinking #96 would look good really good on Panarin. But 10 is just fine.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I've watched him enough. Good skater, terrific passer, adequate shot, not that great defensively, but can hold his own. Great vision, but not the strongest will power. A very good player, but not exactly the player to deserve a 14% salary. When he single handedly carries a team to a Stanley Cup final, I can shut up about him having the same % salary as Hank. Otherwise, someone can tell me why I don't care as much about the guy that carried the team to basically a playoff every year and to some great chances, pretty much single handedly.

Panarin isn't a McDavid kind of guy. He's very skilled, but he's not 14% skilled. He's more of a complement to Zibanejad, while Zibanejad is a complement to him. Panarin doesn't carry a line, he helps carry a line. You don't pay anyone 14% unless he can carry a line. That is overpayment, that is my criticism.

If I'm wrong, we'll see. I don't think I am. Don't get me wrong, I like Panarin, he's an elite player. But he's not a 14% kind of player. He's a 8-10% piece at best. I hope he proves me wrong. I don't dislike him or his game, I dislike his salary. I'm happy he plays for NYR, but not at those terms. That smells of desperation. NYR should've waited, they can't wait. They needed another top pick if they wanted to suck. Now it's back to being mediocre, because the core isn't there. NYR has the Ovechkin, but not the Bäckström. They have Malkin, but not Crosby. They have Kane, but not Toews.

No patience. A fake rebuild, which will land in mediocrity. You need two star picks to land a modern dynasty. You think Kakko and Panarin is it? Well... no. Because the rest of the team is in shambles and they're not enough. Kakko is paid 1/10th of Panarin. That's how you win.

Dude, JD and JG paid what the market will bear and they feel as I do, that Panarin will be a key piece in some Cup winning teams within the next 3-7 years.

You and others complaining about the money Panarin got, guaranteed within 2 years, Panarin's 11.6 mill per will be topped by at least 10 other players. It's called right time and right place and Panarin benefited as did we cause we got him and teams like the Islanders didn't.

I'll assume you'll be one of the vocal Debbie Downers in here who are never happy about anything the Rangers do and you'll be complaining about the Breadman's pay check still, after he leads us to the playoffs this year....yes?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

Personality? Does he mean confidence? Swagger? Leadership? Interesting thing to hear DQ say as he seems to have a real handle on the team locker room chemistry (unlike our previous coach). Would be an added bonus to the points Panarin puts up. Don't think I heard anyone say one word about personality when we got Nash or Gabs, just sayin'. Both were kind of quiet and let their actions on the ice speak for themselves which is fine, but then others need to pick up the slack.

When your best players are also socially comfortable being leaders behind the scenes and on the ice it's a real boost to the locker room.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Dude, JD and JG paid what the market will bear and they feel as I do, that Panarin will be a key piece in some Cup winning teams within the next 3-7 years.

You and others complaining about the money Panarin got, guaranteed within 2 years, Panarin's 11.6 mill per will be topped by at least 10 other players. It's called right time and right place and Panarin benefited as did we cause we got him.

I'll assume you'll be one of the vocal Debbie Downers in here who are never happy about anything the Rangers do and you'll be complaining about the Breadman's pay check still, after he leads us to the playoffs this year....yes?
I suppose I can be happy about your optimism, let's leave it at that? The NYR brass lucked out they found a lottery ticket in Lundqvist, which changed the entire future of the franchise, which honestly was in shambles, as always. They handled it as badly as I couldn't even possibly imagine, let's also leave it at that. The Lundqvist era was pathetically handled from the management, even with the opportunity to sign UFAs - and know to NOT sign UFAs (A true flaw). Not much has changed with that suit and tie lot. I just wish you the best, although I think it'll be about 70 years until these morons will be able to construct at Stanley Cup franchise, honestly. It's just so incompetent, it's like a twin of Toronto, for no other reason than rich arrogance.

It hurts to reflect about. When you have shit leaders, you will win shit. Of course I hope you're correct, but from my gut I believe you're not. They will find more ways to mess it up, in cases where they should do NOTHING, in some insanse performance hype. Just like idiotic companies. Because they only see it as a business and not as a sports club, because that's what a big "sports" market is paid to do. The means to the end.

Last edited:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Adequate shot :laugh: Wow.

He doesn’t carry a line? Did you see him on the Blue Jackets?

You’re so unbelievably wrong, and that will be apparent about 5 games into the season.

This 100%.

Oh, and at least use a good photo for your new avatar. :thumbu:

D-f0utyWsAM-RPO.jpg

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

Panarin 100% carries his line. Watching him in the playoffs the past 2 years in cbj he was obviously the main driver. Unfortunately this is the NHL and not the NBA, so 1 player can't drive an entire team.

The president and GM clearly disagree with you. "no patience, failed rebuild landing in mediocrity" lol. If you wanna watch a team tank and suck do 5 seasons go cheer for the Oilers or Sabres. Panarin will be a cornerstone of the rebuild, not a wrench in its plans.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Whether or not there's a conspiracy theory to the signing being related to the Knicks, shares of MSG lost $230M in value after they didn't land a big FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad