Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Artemi Panarin (7 years, $11.64M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I am however allowed to be optimistic about the future of this the and the rebuild while also considering the panarin signing a strategic misstep.

I'm glad you feel like this. All aboard the Rebuild for a Cup choo choo train....woo hoo.

You are one very rare bird tho Fritzy, seeing how is it possible to be hopeful for the future when you think we just made a colossal strategic mistake? Doesn't that sort of Kind of fly against the grain here....eh?

Correct me if I'm wrong, most if not all of the peeps in here who like you had been begging JD/JG not to sign Panarin because it would signify the end of the rebuild and we wouldn't be ready to win Cups when Panarin was still in peak form and the future was now f***ed.

Does that sound about right? The apparent "timing" wasn't perfect to bring in even a stud like the Breadman. Better off to be a competitive but crappy team, not win too much and get ourselves in the lottery one more time and maybe Cinderella would get the glass slipper again....sound about right

So for you to say you are still hopeful for the future despite JD/JG making such a huge mistake is refreshing to read albeit a bit mystifying seeing I don't see how they can go hand in hand.

That said...glad your hopeful....welcome to the club!.

Reactions: nevesis

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm glad you feel like this. All aboard the Rebuild for a Cup choo choo train....woo hoo.

You are one very rare bird tho Fritzy, seeing how is it possible to be hopeful for the future when you think we just made a colossal strategic mistake? Doesn't that sort of Kind of fly against the grain here....eh?

Correct me if I'm wrong, most if not all of the peeps in here who like you had been begging JD/JG not to sign Panarin because it would signify the end of the rebuild and we wouldn't be ready to win Cups when Panarin was still in peak form and the future was now ****ed.

Does that sound about right? The apparent "timing" wasn't perfect to bring in even a stud like the Breadman. Better off to be a competitive but crappy team, not win too much and get ourselves in the lottery one more time and maybe Cinderella would get the glass slipper again....sound about right

So for you to say you are still hopeful for the future despite JD/JG making such a huge mistake is refreshing to read albeit a bit mystifying seeing I don't see how they can go hand in hand.

That said...glad your hopeful....welcome to the club!.

I try not to be overly dramatic. The moves over the years I've disliked the most- not signing Zherdev's arbitration deal, drafting McIlrath, trading Leetch, lowballing Jagr and Nylander- all ended up being minor issues that really didn't make or break whether the team was good or not for long stretches.

I don't like the Panarin move in aggregate, for a number of reasons that I've outlined, but I don't think it 'ruins' the rebuild. It may, however, make things more interesting down the line when we need to re-sign guys for big RFA contracts, and may also prevent us from signing a big name UFA 2-3 years from now in a potentially larger area of need, such as a star center or defenseman.

That said, there are many rebuild positives to Panarin, even though I think they are outweighed.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Buchnevich and Kravtsov will probably be around to smooth over any communication issues but yeah I suspect he communicates with teammates just fine, but it's harder in front of a group of reporters

Reactions: CasusBelli

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think they had the exact scene at the end of the Titanic when geriatric Rose was dying in her sleep to a dream of her and Jack on board the titanic in the main ballroom with the winding staircase and all the passengers were smiling and clapping as they walked to the top of the staircase and then she died in her sleep.

Post of the summer

Reactions: Kallio and Maximus

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
In the last 4 years, panarin is 8th overall in points.

He is elite

Ahead of Tavares, Giroux, Seguin, MacKinnon, Ovechkin

I just hope for his longevity. NJD signed an elite Kovalchuk at around the same age. The degree to which Panarin stays elite, and for how long, will matter a lot in terms of how we view this deal when it ends. Obviously they are not the same style of player, but both in that 2nd level elite tier not quite with the Kanes, McDavids, Crosbys & Ovechkins, but right behind.

If he's already down to 55-60 points a season by age 32, or god forbid follows a Semin-esque curve, people are going to come away with a bit of a bitter taste in their mouths. If he's one of those playmakers that has great fitness and longevity, then it will be looked back at as a solid deal.

The point is we don't know which.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I just hope for his longevity. NJD signed an elite Kovalchuk at around the same age. The degree to which Panarin stays elite, and for how long, will matter a lot in terms of how we view this deal when it ends. Obviously they are not the same style of player, but both in that 2nd level elite tier not quite with the Kanes, McDavids, Crosbys & Ovechkins, but right behind.

If he's already down to 55-60 points a season by age 32, or god forbid follows a Semin-esque curve, people are going to come away with a bit of a bitter taste in their mouths. If he's one of those playmakers that has great fitness and longevity, then it will be looked back at as a solid deal.

The point is we don't know which.

Kovalchuck, in 222 games as a Devil scored 89 goals and 207 points.

He was still elite

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Signing bonus laden contract.

upload_2019-7-2_21-20-24.png

Just $7M in actual salary.

Buyout proof contract.

Reactions: egelband

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
$42M by July 2021. Assured Money. Knew that's what it would take. Don't have a problem with the man getting paid.

That's why they call him Bread.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kid doesn’t speak English? Still? That’s odd with how long he’s been here and around his teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad