Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Adam Chapie- UMass Lowell

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Nobody has explained why there's any hope that Chapie becomes an NHLer. "He hasn't had a chance to fail yet" is true for literally anyone in the NCAA. That doesn't mean that literally every NCAA player has hope of making it.

point is, no one knows who will make it,
even 10-20% or more of the 'sure things' don't make it.
go back >5 years, look at 1st round picks, each year there are 10 or more "never made it" and more "never met expectations"

you find guys who have continued to improve and contribute,
and who meet your team's parameters for consideraton (skating, speed, whatever) and give them a shot to earn it

Zamorsky was considered a win over other teams when we signed him

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Nobody has explained why there's any hope that Chapie becomes an NHLer. "He hasn't had a chance to fail yet" is true for literally anyone in the NCAA. That doesn't mean that literally every NCAA player has hope of making it.

Who gives a crap? No one is saying that there is any hope he becomes a NHLer. We have 50 SPCs. You do realize that we need to fill up minor league teams with contributing players, correct? If you can take a chance on a guy and get rid of an also-ran it's a good gamble to take.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Have the Rangers ever signed an undrafted NCAA player who actually played a meaningful number of games (please don't say Matt Gilroy)?

Other than Talbot I can't come up with someone. But I am sure some of the older guys can come up with someone else.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Nobody expects him to make it, but there's a chance. Unlike Kantor, Nicholls and St. Croix who already failed when given the chance.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Nobody has explained why there is a chance.

I think the reasonable answer is it's just impossible to really know when you get to a guy like this. Although it usually is a no bc they just have displayed too many holes in their overall game. But whether it's stats or something else there's usually enough there that you can say "Hey if he works on X in his game he'll maybe develop into something..." This is a simple, general answer but this is a general, bottom of the prospect barrel signing. Girardi's happen

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Well, because he has not yet proven he won't make it. That means there's a chance. Unlike Kantor, St. Croix and Nicholls. They can sign AHL-deals and play in either Hartford or Greenville.

Even if Chapie has a 1% chance of making it, that's better than the guys who failed to crack the line-up while being in the system for years.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

His scoring has been trending upwards since his freshman year of college, he adds another right handed shot to the farm, and Nicholls, St. Croix, and Kantor (injuries I think?) have all had chances in the AHL and have done nothing with them. It's time to try something else, and they have plenty of contract spots to give after this season is over.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nobody has explained why there's any hope that Chapie becomes an NHLer.

Because basically none of us know anything about the guy? The explanation is that the Rangers gave him an ELC, and if they didn't have believe he had a chance, they wouldn't have done so. Will he work out, or be another Kyle Jean? Who knows? The point is, the scouts believe there's the potential for something there, and given the absence of any other information to draw my own conclusions, I will rely on the only thing I know--that the Rangers like him.

"He hasn't had a chance to fail yet" is true for literally anyone in the NCAA. That doesn't mean that literally every NCAA player has hope of making it.

Yeah, if you take the argument to its absurd extreme it's true. We didn't sign just "anyone" though, we signed Adam Chapie. What separates him (and the other UDFA NCAA players that are earning contracts) is that NHL teams scout them extensively and see NHL potential.

I mean, do you really not get this or are you just being difficult?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We will also sign some players just because we want an atmosphere and structure in the AHL that will benefit the organization in general in terms of how we develop young players etc, even if those players have a very remote shot at actually making it to the NHL.

Until we get to see this dude in the AHL it seems like we have to wait and see what we got... ;)

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
We will also sign some players just because we want an atmosphere and structure in the AHL that will benefit the organization in general in terms of how we develop young players etc, even if those players have a very remote shot at actually making it to the NHL.

Until we get to see this dude in the AHL it seems like we have to wait and see what we got... ;)

Yeah, I don't get why this signing is being trashed. The AHL is a developmental league. You have to keep restocking with young players, even if you don't think they have a realistic shot of making the NHL. The organization probably thinks this kid can be quality depth in Hartford, with an outside chance of ever making the big club. You can only have so many vets on an AHL roster.

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

That's from theahl.com.

We have players who are about to go RFA that are languishing in the ECHL and *probably* won't get another NHL contract (Noreau, St. Croix, Kantor). Better to fill that void with players that are still trending upwards, even if you think the chance is very small that they ever make the NHL.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Grapes- Yep, the worst environment you can have is the one we had when Lundmark and Malhotra came into the organization.

Jamie was literary the only young forward on the farm and we basically only had vets (like really established vets, former captains, over the hill players) in the NHL. He showed up in HFD, did his thing, and then started to get frustrated because he didn't get a shot on a scoring line in the NHL. He was a high first round pick after all. If you have 5 young forwards on the farm and the best makes it to the NHL, its not hard for the other 4 to figure out why they are not playing and what it will take for them to make it. If you are as good as Lindberg/JT Miller you will play, if you coast, don't take care of your self, and can't play as well as them -- you won't play. That is the way it should and must be.

With the way we have lost draft picks, we run the risk of getting to that point we where in the early 00's with a completely bare farm in a few years. Hence its very important that we even if we aren't able to find future NHLers, can find young players who really can push things and create competition in HFD.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Have the Rangers ever signed an undrafted NCAA player who actually played a meaningful number of games (please don't say Matt Gilroy)?

Bob Brooke was drafted by the St. Louis Blues and his rights were traded to the Rangers--so the post mentioning him--he doesn't count.

Anyway I've come up with 8 who do including Gilroy. All these guys were NHL players who started their pro careers in the Rangers organization.

1. Mark Pavelich
2. George McPhee--a short injury prone career but a legit NHL player.
3. Steve Richmond
4. Mike Ridley--not an NCAA player per se---he was a Canadian University player. A Rangers scout saw him warming up with his university team a couple hours before an NHL exhibition game in the same rink. He was a really good player.
5. Jay Caufield
6. Norm MacIver--a small pmd--played 500 NHL games. Check him out.
7. Jed Ortmeyer
8. Matt Gilroy

Anyway you always have to try to find people. Sometimes players decide to sign with other teams. It's not a failure of your scouting and development program when that happens.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm okay with the signing. At worst he's a depth player in Hartford.

At best, maybe he becomes a Dale Weise type player (who I admitedly wasn't crazy about when he was drafted).

I know we want every kid to be a high end prospect, but sometimes you round things out by taking flyers on other guys too.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Bob Brooke was drafted by the St. Louis Blues and his rights were traded to the Rangers--so the post mentioning him--he doesn't count.

Anyway I've come up with 8 who do including Gilroy. All these guys were NHL players who started their pro careers in the Rangers organization.

1. Mark Pavelich
3. Steve Richmond
4. Mike Ridley--not an NCAA player per se---he was a Canadian University player. A Rangers scout saw him warming up with his university team a couple hours before an NHL exhibition game in the same rink. He was a really good player.
5. Jay Caufield
7. Jed Ortmeyer
8. Matt Gilroy

Anyway you always have to try to find people. Sometimes players decide to sign with other teams. It's not a failure of your scouting and development program when that happens.

Here's the thing for me. Even if this kid never sniffs an NHL arena without buying a ticket, it's stil a signing for Hartford. Does it really make a difference if we sign him now or in the summer if that's the case?

It's not like we just signed this kid to a one-way contract and expect him to block 4 or 5 top prospects from making the jump.

There are moves to be upset about. This is not one of those moves.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

1. Mark Pavelich
3. Steve Richmond
5. Jay Caufield
7. Jed Ortmeyer
8. Matt Gilroy

McPhee- wow could he throw them. He gave the Rangers some some backbone when it was sorely lacking. Plus he was a pretty good player, a Hobey Baker winner.

MacIver- He would be the type that would thrive in today's game, I forgot about him.

Caufield- I don't know why but I always hated him. Maybe the fact he was a goon that couldn't fight nor play. Ugh he was terrible.

Rdiley- Was a great find. He really was a good player. The only explanation I had why he wasn't drafted is he had to have been a real late bloomer.

This move doesn't move the needle for me, I don't why I anyone would even be mad. If it works great, if not, it was still worth it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Here's the thing for me. Even if this kid never sniffs an NHL arena without buying a ticket, it's stil a signing for Hartford. Does it really make a difference if we sign him now or in the summer if that's the case?

It's not like we just signed this kid to a one-way contract and expect him to block 4 or 5 top prospects from making the jump.

There are moves to be upset about. This is not one of those moves.

McPhee- wow could he throw them. He gave the Rangers some some backbone when it was sorely lacking. Plus he was a pretty good player, a Hobey Baker winner.

MacIver- He would be the type that would thrive in today's game, I forgot about him.

Caufield- I don't know why but I always hated him. Maybe the fact he was a goon that couldn't fight nor play. Ugh he was terrible.

Rdiley- Was a great find. He really was a good player. The only explanation I had why he wasn't drafted is he had to have been a real late bloomer.

This move doesn't move the needle for me, I don't why I anyone would even be mad. If it works great, if not, it was still worth it.

I'm with both of you on this. The Rangers have holes to fill and they're taking a chance on this guy to fill one of them.

Mark Pavelich and Mike Ridley were both excellent players. When the Rangers hired Ted Sator as coach--Pavelich couldn't get along with him. Sator was a ****head. He sends Pierre Larouche to the AHL--not even to the Rangers AHL team--he was put on loan to the Hershey Bears. Sator screwed around with Barry Beck and Reijo Ruotsolainen as well. Pavelich after being scratched several games just walked off the team and away from hockey altogether. It was a **** you--I don't need you I quit move. Beck played out the year and retired and Reijo went home to Finland. Of all the horrible coaches the Rangers have had Sator IMO was the worst. The Ridley-Kelly Miller trade for Bobby Carpenter just ****ing horrible.

As Miami says MacIver was the type of guy who would thrive today. Back when he played the game was a lot more physical. He was a player not all that unlike a Stralman but I'm thinking if Anton would have played back then he would have had the same problems. Puck moving is great but there was a lot less room to do it back then. Rule changes and the emphasis on speeding up the game opened the way the game is played now.

George McPhee won the Hobey Baker. He was not a big guy at all---however it happened--he got into a couple fights and 'oh--he's really good at it' and all of a sudden the emphasis went to that. He wrecked his hands and he had other injuries and that was it. If the Rangers hadn't emphasized his fighting prowess he might have developed into a much better player and had a longer career.

I also liked Jed Ortmeyer. Skill wise he kind of sucked but he had the heart of a lion. Great penalty killer--really good skater.

Last edited:

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm with both of you on this. The Rangers have holes to fill and they're taking a chance on this guy to fill one of them.

Mark Pavelich and Mike Ridley were both excellent players. When the Rangers hired Ted Sator as coach--Pavelich couldn't get along with him. Sator was a ****head. He sends Pierre Larouche to the AHL--not even to the Rangers AHL team--he was put on loan to the Hershey Bears. Sator screwed around with Barry Beck and Reijo Ruotsolainen as well. Pavelich after being scratched several games just walked off the team and away from hockey altogether. It was a **** you--I don't need you I quit move. Beck played out the year and retired and Reijo went home to Finland. Of all the horrible coaches the Rangers have had Sator IMO was the worst. The Ridley-Kelly Miller trade for Bobby Carpenter just ****ing horrible.

As Miami says MacIver was the type of guy who would thrive today. Back when he played the game was a lot more physical. He was a player not all that unlike a Stralman but I'm thinking if Anton would have played back then he would have had the same problems. Puck moving is great but there was a lot less room to do it back then. Rule changes and the emphasis on speeding up the game opened the way the game is played now.

George McPhee won the Hobey Baker. He was not a big guy at all---however it happened--he got into a couple fights and 'oh--he's really good at it' and all of a sudden the emphasis went to that. He wrecked his hands and he had other injuries and that was it. If the Rangers hadn't emphasized his fighting prowess he might have developed into a much better player and had a longer career.

I also liked Jed Ortmeyer. Skill wise he kind of sucked but he had the heart of a lion. Great penalty killer--really good skater.

The reason that was done was because the previous season was one of the worst in Rangers recent history. Many players coasted all season, at least the ones who weren't injured. Some guys came back into camp with the same who gives a **** attitude and were shipped out making room for younger guys like Mike Ridley and Kelly Miller. Don't forget, that Ranger team got to the Conference Finals and could have beaten Montreal if not for Patrick Roy.

The dumb*** Miller/Ridley for Carpenter was not a Sator trade; that was an Espo special.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The reason that was done was because the previous season was one of the worst in Rangers recent history. Many players coasted all season, at least the ones who weren't injured. Some guys came back into camp with the same who gives a **** attitude and were shipped out making room for younger guys like Mike Ridley and Kelly Miller. Don't forget, that Ranger team got to the Conference Finals and could have beaten Montreal if not for Patrick Roy.

The dumb*** Miller/Ridley for Carpenter was not a Sator trade; that was an Espo special.

Larouche, Pavelich, Beck and Ruotsolainen were maybe the 4 most talented players on their team.

Pavelich was hardly a player who ever coasted in a game. He was a player who didn't like to practice (Ron Duguay would be another example of a former Rangers player that hated to practice)--that went back to his college days and even was an issue with Herb Brooks (who coached him as an Olympian and a Ranger) who was not an easy coach to play for. Pavelich was a gutty little player very much in the mode of Mats Zuccarello. That was a personality clash between him and Sator and Sator should have been smart enough to budge but was too much of a martinet to do so.

Barry Beck was always a leader on the Rangers--and gave the defense a real physical edge. He played with and through a lot of injuries as a Ranger. Sometimes playing through them made them a lot worse but the Rangers were always pressuring him to get back early. Beck fought a lot of battles for his team and deserved more respect.

Ruotsolainen was a fantastic talent but a tiny D. A generator of offense he was often a liability on defense. Sator's main issue with Ruotsolainen was he didn't play the right way and in some respect he couldn't play the right way because he wasn't the kind of defenseman that could control the front of his own net and he was a real risk taker. That was Sator's issue with Reijo--who went on to win a couple Stanley Cups with the Oilers.

Larouche if any was the at times the lackadaisical one. The Rangers did not have anyone who could finish like him though. Two thirds of the way through Sator's first season--with the team finding it almost impossible to score goals Larouche was recalled and went on a tear--scoring something like 20 goals in the final 25 games of the year.

As for the Ridley/Miller for Carpenter trade--I didn't mean to lay that one on Sator. I know it wasn't him.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Larouche, Pavelich, Beck and Ruotsolainen were maybe the 4 most talented players on their team.

Pavelich was hardly a player who ever coasted in a game. He was a player who didn't like to practice (Ron Duguay would be another example of a former Rangers player that hated to practice)--that went back to his college days and even was an issue with Herb Brooks (who coached him as an Olympian and a Ranger) who was not an easy coach to play for. Pavelich was a gutty little player very much in the mode of Mats Zuccarello. That was a personality clash between him and Sator and Sator should have been smart enough to budge but was too much of a martinet to do so.

Barry Beck was always a leader on the Rangers--and gave the defense a real physical edge. He played with and through a lot of injuries as a Ranger. Sometimes playing through them made them a lot worse but the Rangers were always pressuring him to get back early. Beck fought a lot of battles for his team and deserved more respect.

Ruotsolainen was a fantastic talent but a tiny D. A generator of offense he was often a liability on defense. Sator's main issue with Ruotsolainen was he didn't play the right way and in some respect he couldn't play the right way because he wasn't the kind of defenseman that could control the front of his own net and he was a real risk taker. That was Sator's issue with Reijo--who went on to win a couple Stanley Cups with the Oilers.

Larouche if any was the at times the lackadaisical one. The Rangers did not have anyone who could finish like him though. Two thirds of the way through Sator's first season--with the team finding it almost impossible to score goals Larouche was recalled and went on a tear--scoring something like 20 goals in the final 25 games of the year.

As for the Ridley/Miller for Carpenter trade--I didn't mean to lay that one on Sator. I know it wasn't him.

Sator also banished Mike Rogers to the minors and he quit.

I guess I disagree with you, and maybe because hindsight is 20/20. I remember that team quite well. When we played street hockey, if you missed the net with a slapshot, you got labeled as having Ruotsolainen disease. Plexi Rexi, what a talent that when he actually hit the net, the puck usually went in. He was a bit soft though.

I remember Beck being hurt a lot and playing through it. Guy could never recover from an injury without sustaining another. Probably one of the most underrated Ranger defensemen ever.

I met someone in Tampa during the 2012 Republican Convention from Eveleth, MN. NC and MN delegates stayed in the same hotel. Ends up, this woman's daughter goes to school with Pavelich's niece. The girl was there and said that Pavelich is "a weird guy."

Larouche and the 20 in 28 games, and a great playoff run too. Larouche's first game back was in Quebec. I remember there being snow the afternoon/evening of that game. Why I remember this, no idea. Larouche scored in the last minute to tie the game 6-6, and then hit the post at the buzzer on a breakaway in OT.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Gorton does nothing and everybody *****es around. Gorton makes a low risk signing and everybody *****es around. OMG Vesey would've been sooo much better. What if the guy told Gorton straight up "sorry bro, but I don't wanna sign with your team"? Do you want our GM to be ******** because of that or do you want him to go and contact whomever he thinks is the next best player?

I mean seriously guys: Picking form College players, and I mean no offense, is picking from leftovers. If the guy even sniffs the NHL it's a great cheap signing for the Rangers. If he can be included in a trade package for literally anything or just to even out contract numbers it's a great signing for the Rangers. If he can become a regular for Hartford it's still a good signing. If he can't even make the AHL it's ONE wasted roster spot out of FIFTY. If the Rangers can't manage to sign who they want because of that, there are bigger issues with this club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad