Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Sharks - March 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Everyone except Lundqvist should walk home. And when walking home, make sure you leave Girardi behind.

I guess Raanta could get on the plane with Lundqvist too.

They were probably tired too many games - so they lost focus. :shakehead
Do u think we get past the first round of playoffs hocey?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This reminds me of some of the losses they had earlier in the season. It's concerning that they are still having games like this, team defense looked dysfunctional from top to bottom. Not only have some of our defensemen taken a step back this year, but some of the forwards have regressed defensively as well. The forwards are so concerned with transitioning to offense that they have shirked their defensive responsibilities entirely.
whats concerning is that the majority of this roster has been playing for AV the last year+. They honestly look like the Oilers in the defensive zone.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
They were probably tired too many games - so they lost focus. :shakehead
Do u think we get past the first round of playoffs hocey?

Doubtful - I also think people are overrating the talent on this team. Yeah, we have some good players, and I personally think we have two great ones (27 & 30), but far, far too many mediocre players, has-beens or stiffs.

Farm system rated #26 in the league, so not much in the pipeline either. Management needs to stop kidding themselves about being a "contenda" and start bringing in bigger, younger, faster players. That's what I saw from the Sharks today.

I was actually more impressed by the Sharks than either the Kings or the Ducks - I liked their speed much more. Kings have size and wear you down, but they are slow.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/hoc...e=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDNSports+Twitter

Anyone who can read between the lines, knows exactly what Hank is trying to say here.

SAN JOSE – A tense Henrik Lundqvist tried hard to speak only about his own performance Saturday afternoon, and not his team’s. But it was impossible to conceal his feelings completely after the Sharks absolutely spanked the absent Rangers, 4-1, at SAP Center, in a mirror image of the Blueshirts’ embarrassing 9-2 loss here on Oct. 8, 2013, other than the final score.

“I need to make more saves, if that’s the only way,†Lundqvist said, slipping off script to acknowledge the obvious – the Rangers (40-24-8, 88 points), who allowed a season-high 52 shots, are in big trouble.

Captain Ryan McDonagh sounded the alarm bells he has rung in this frustrated locker room following unacceptable efforts all season, such as Dec. 18 in Winnipeg, Jan. 24 in Ottawa and last Saturday at the Garden against the Penguins. Only 10 games remain until the playoffs and this team’s no-show efforts persist.

“I mean, everybody’s got to really look at themselves and see what they can bring more of, because it simply wasn’t even close,†the captain said.

Lundqvist was magnificent making 43 saves, including 20 in the second period, as the majority of his teammates posed as passengers. Alain Vigneault showed mercy by yanking Lundqvist for the fifth time this season 9:05 into the third period, down 4-1, because “he was by himself out there.†But an oblivious reporter asked the King how “far off†his game was after being replaced by backup Antti Raanta (five saves).

“Personally, or as a team?†Lundqvist said, reacting reflexively and honestly. “I feel pretty sharp, I’m not gonna lie. I just feel the last few games for whatever reason there’s been a stretch in every game I play where there’ve been a lot of breakdowns.â€

Translation: Lundqvist has an 0-3-2 record in five starts since his last win Feb. 27 in Dallas and is not the reason why. Vigneault called Saturday’s loss to the Sharks (40-25-6, 86 points) “as far as our puck movement from our defense, one of our worst nights of the year.â€

The coach said Marc Staal’s puck over the glass 19 seconds into the third period as “just a symbol of our defense moving the puck tonight.†He acknowledged the game was tied only “by some fortunate chance†once ex-Shark Dan Boyle scored at 17:32 of the second in possibly his last game inside his old home rink.

But San Jose, backstopped by a bored Martin Jones (25 saves), forced the score to reflect the flow of play in the early third: Joe Thornton (5:45) buried a rebound after Tomas Hertl torched the worrisomely-deteriorating Dan Girardi. Joel Ward (two goals) tallied at 7:34 after a Kevin Hayes turnover at the offensive blue line that might get him scratched Monday against Florida. Joe Pavelski (9:05) chased Lundqvist after a Keith Yandle offensive zone giveaway.

Any good feelings the Rangers had built on this week’s California road swing (1-1-1) went up in smoke.

“Many areas of our game that were a great sign in Anaheim and there in spurts in the L.A. game were nowhere to be found today,†McDonagh said. “We weren’t on the same page. We weren’t winning pucks. We looked slow because we weren’t making the right reads and competing. We talk about it all the time: trusting each other out there and trusting our structure. But the only way it works is if you’re working extremely hard for each other, and it wasn’t there at all.â€

The Rangers are in peril of slipping from their second seed in the Metropolitan Division to a wild card behind the red-hot Penguins (86 points, game in-hand) and Islanders (85 points facing Dallas Saturday night, two games in-hand). Now they’ve played their worst this close to the postseason. Is that most concerning?

“I don’t know what to say to that,†Lundqvist said. “I think it’s important that we understand how serious this is, the situation we’re in, but I think the best thing you can do for everyone here is just to look at yourself. What can I do to mae this team better? What can I do to help this team win? And then hopefully (we) have 20 guys doing that instead of looking over your shoulder.â€

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
This team is worse than the sum of its parts, they shouldn't be this inconsistent after the series they've played the past few playoffs.

Guys that have been on this team for years still have no idea where to be in the defensive zone or when to transition.

This game should have honestly been 10-1. Hank is the only constant that we've had for the past decade, I actually feel bad for him being on this team....He made amazing saves all game and as soon as he doesn't bail out this team, some fans call him 'soft' or say 'hank wants that one back'... what about nash who is worse than clutterbuck, or our entire overpaid defense

Lundqvist can't score goals, and he can't make the team not give up 50 shots against.....

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Honestly, the team lacks jam.

I know they tunes out Torts, but he wouldnt let this **** fly.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
That's nothing new. The refs seem to get worse and worse imo. Maybe its just me noticing it more tho.

I was not grumbling about the reffing at all, i asked a question since i couldnt see the game myself. Refs were bad, Rangers were worse.

Yeah the Moore thing came up on twitter a fair share. And the Nash slash thing.

I asked a simple question, i didn't choose to discuss what everyone else was discussing because i have nothing to add to a beaten horse.

How does it make a good discussion to discuss how aweful the team are after every game anyways? Or complaining about Girardi, Nash, Staal 24/7.

I asked a question about the refs, and last i checked reffing was a part the game. And the reason i ask is because twitter, but also because i feel lately the refs have been quite bad. Not saying they have been extra bad towards Rangers, but they do have been quite bad.

In the first one I was reffering to the twitter grumbling you mentioned in your post. Not you. Sorry for the confusion.

The second one was in response to someone else's post which I quoted.

Jagr6810

Apr 28, 2011
If I'm the coach I scratch Hayes. I figure out ASAP how to change the way this team plays in its own end. I'm not an expert but the play low in the defensive zone, they allow cycling up top from the defense with zero pressure. They mark my words will get drilled in the playoffs if they continue this trend.

skymachine

Aug 2, 2005
New York
It just blows my mind how this group can play so braindead night in and night out, considering their recent relative playoff successes and AV being here for almost 3 full seasons.

I was at the game today, here's what stuck out the most:

- The constant turnovers. in all zones. Passes to nowhere or directly to a Shark stick. Many icings.
- The continuous hesitation in the defensive and neutral zones. They play like they've never skated together before. Guys don't seem to know when to transition or where to be.
- The lack of any consistent offensive pressure.
- The amount of high quality scoring chances they gave up.
- The overall listless play and lack of any drive or determination. Very uninspired play.

The good:
- Dan Boyle's goal was vintage Boyle. He seemed to be trying today.
- Henrik continues to be God.
- Lots of Rangers fans in the house, more than ever in SJ it seemed.
- The weather was really nice in SJ today, made the walk back to my car more bearable.

GeoNYR

Jan 23, 2013
It's truly sad to see this team's window open and close over the past 5 or so seasons. There was so much hope. But our players and coach are regressing. We're getting older, and don't have many promising youth coming in to keep up the success. We're going to have a first round exit. And soon after we will find this team in rebuild mode. Sucks that the Kings were just that much better than us in the Finals 2 seasons ago.

What makes it even worse is the Isles are on the rise, and look like they can actually compete for AND WIN a cup within the next handful of seasons. While we regress and rebuild.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Honestly, the team lacks jam.

I know they tunes out Torts, but he wouldnt let this **** fly.

Yeah but you can't play a game with a whole team glued to the bench.

Not that it probably would be much different than last night, but still.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Pos effort
Hung Hank out to dry
The D cannot play the puck once in possession.
The fwds cannot play each other's.
Why dump and chase when nobody chases?
AV is about as clueuseless

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
If I'm the coach I scratch Hayes. I figure out ASAP how to change the way this team plays in its own end. I'm not an expert but the play low in the defensive zone, they allow cycling up top from the defense with zero pressure. They mark my words will get drilled in the playoffs if they continue this trend.

Hayes plays in the d zone?

Vickers8

6a76f4a3-4ad2-4ae2-8a3b-c092e85586af.jpg

KingP

Mar 24, 2012
New york
It's truly sad to see this team's window open and close over the past 5 or so seasons. There was so much hope. But our players and coach are regressing. We're getting older, and don't have many promising youth coming in to keep up the success. We're going to have a first round exit. And soon after we will find this team in rebuild mode. Sucks that the Kings were just that much better than us in the Finals 2 seasons ago.

What makes it even worse is the Isles are on the rise, and look like they can actually compete for AND WIN a cup within the next handful of seasons. While we regress and rebuild.
That Finals was our shot. unfortunately things didnt go our way

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013

If I'm the coach I punch Hayes in his *effin face.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I'm just glad Hank was "mercy pulled" rather than hurt. I was nervous on that last goal, the way he went one way then stretched out to almost make that miraculous save. I was afraid he tweaked something there when he skated right to the bench after. He's the only player that shows up game in and game out.

I still feel the majority of the team's problems start with the coaching and system refusing to adapt. These players cannot play this type of system. It's just not working and you can't change out all the players so, either the coaches adjust or the team will continue to be inconsistent. The defense just doesn't have the skating ability to play m2m. If they had 6 McDonaghs they'd be fine. He's the only D-man that can handle it. Yandle can skate, but he's prone to too many bonehead mistakes and there is nobody to cover.

And offensively, nobody drives the net with the puck. Even if there is a direct lane from the half boards to the net, it's like they only thing they can do is try to get it to a defensemen at the point, even if there is an opponent standing in the way. Is this the coach's system? Nobody seems to break the mold. Every game, every situation... battle for the puck along the boards and get it to the D-men, who then can't get a shot through without being blocked. Rinse, wash, repeat then question why it's not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad