Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Sens 3/26 - PUT AN X NEXT TO IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You really need to factor the fact that Talbot started these 23 games cold unlike Hank.

He wasn't exactly cold, playing several games in the weeks prior to Lundqvist's injury. It's not like he was sititng for 2 months before playing as our starter.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
lol you know if you take those 23 games for Hank you are going all the way back into November... Talbot is a backup meaning every game he steps into he is cold. I love the guy I think he has been a major asset to the team

Ok lets play. Give me his stats for the first 23 games of the season. Lets compare for real. This would be a fair thing to do.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
lol you know if you take those 23 games for Hank you are going all the way back into November... Talbot is a backup meaning every game he steps into he is cold. I love the guy I think he has been a major asset to the team

The only time a goaltender comes in 'cold' is DURING a game when the starter is pulled.

If a 'backup' goalie has a couple days to prepare for a start (mentally) they also have been practicing with the team just as much as the starter does.

The only difference here is the quantity of games Talbot had to play in a row. It's not a huge adjustment by any means, most of his life he played game in game out growing up, and in college so he knew what it takes.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Ok lets play. Give me his stats for the first 23 games of the season. Lets compare for real. This would be a fair thing to do.

then are we going to look at the Kostka and John Moore defense?

Just for arguments sake
first 5 starts
Henrik Lundqvist
15 GA
3-2 Record
.892 Sv percentage

Cam Talbot
2-3 Record
12 GA
.917 Sv Percentage

and those Lundqvist stats include the implosion against long island and Toronto yet Hank has a better record

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
The only time a goaltender comes in 'cold' is DURING a game when the starter is pulled.

If a 'backup' goalie has a couple days to prepare for a start (mentally) they also have been practicing with the team just as much as the starter does.

The only difference here is the quantity of games Talbot had to play in a row. It's not a huge adjustment by any means, most of his life he played game in game out growing up, and in college so he knew what it takes.

...... I get that

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013

Please explain to me what Hank is doing before the season starts? Why does it take him so much time to get in shape at the start of the season? We are paying him 8.5m a year, I expect a little bit more from him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Please explain to me what Hank is doing before the season starts? Why does it take him so much time to get in shape at the start of the season? We are paying him 8.5m a year, I expect a little bit more from him.

Talbot had been training with the team for 4 months before he replaced Hank as a starter. That's a whole different situation from Lundqvist who starts the season after spending the summer recovering from the Finals.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
So no practicing during the training camp or the pre season? Then I guess you are all right, he was cold coming into the season and Talbot was already way over practiced in Feb.
Lol
No that was not even implied you're the one that said o he came in cold but like others have mentioned coming in cold really just means mid game plus there is a difference between facing shots from teammates in practice and game action I bet the guys in practice don't shoot nearly as hard

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Its not only Lundqvist, its the entire team who also has to get them selves back into form. AV's teams traditionally start slow and pick it up from Mid November-December on.

Lundqvist never looked as bad as Talbot did in February though. Those unscreened point shots from the point that found the back of the net were horrendous. This has actually started to creep back into his game but hes been fortunate that these shots have caught iron instead of twine.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Lol
No that was not even implied you're the one that said o he came in cold but like others have mentioned coming in cold really just means mid game plus there is a difference between facing shots from teammates in practice and game action I bet the guys in practice don't shoot nearly as hard

You face not only more shots in total but much tougher, harder shots in practice. It's why goalies wear lots of extra protection on their base layer.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Lundqvist never looked as bad as Talbot did in February though. Those unscreened point shots from the point that found the back of the net were horrendous. This has actually started to creep back into his game but hes been fortunate that these shots have caught iron instead of twine.

I disagree. Those shots were absolute bombs. It's hard to imagine if you've never been in that position, but shots of that velocity allow next to no reaction time.

He's a human not a robot, sometimes you get beat clean.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I disagree. Those shots were absolute bombs. It's hard to imagine if you've never been in that position, but shots of that velocity allow next to no reaction time.

We get it, you protect goalies at all costs, even objectivity.

I have played the game for a long time now and can assure you, I can tell a crap goal from a good one, a good/hot goalie from a mediocre one.

Talbot the first + or - 6 games was mediocre at best and was the beneficiary of 4+ goals a game. He wasn't good and despite the "hard" shots, he let in some softies. The Rangers won in spite of him, not because of him.

It's really not a knock at this point to admit that, Talbot has gotten worlds better.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

yeah...except you dont see it happen all that often from that distance w/o a screen. your goalies gotta stop that.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
We get it, you protect goalies at all costs, even objectivity.

I have played the game for a long time now and can assure I can tell a crap goal from a good one, a good/hot goalie from a mediocre goalie

Talbot the first + or - 6 games was mediocre at best and was the beneficiary of 4+ goals a game. He wasn't good and despite the "hard" shots, he let in some softies. The Rangers won in spite of him, not because of.

It's really not a knock at this point to admit that, Talbot has gotten worlds better.

He was referring to specific goals, e.g. the Nashville game. Those bombs by Ribiero/Weber...

Every goalie gives up soft goals, Talbot has let in a few during the past 20 games. Not as many as some here seem to think though.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
yeah...except you dont see it happen all that often from that distance w/o a screen. your goalies gotta stop that.

This is an absolute laser beam. I am sorry, it might sound easy to stop on paper (he's not screened!) but in reality, you have zero time to react, you just hope it hits you. It's hard for people to understand what it looks like from a goalies POV, but just because he's in the NHL doesn't mean the puck moves any slower. Talbot is a human being, and is flawed like the rest of us. He is not a robot!

It had eyes for the net. It's a bomb. Players score goals. This is not an example of a 'soft goal'

http://video.predators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=745759

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He was referring to specific goals, e.g. the Nashville game. Those bombs by Ribiero/Weber...

Every goalie gives up soft goals, Talbot has let in a few during the past 20 games. Not as many as some here seem to think though.

In the past 20 games the vast majority of the soft goals were in the first 1/4 of that run.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I digress though, sorry for venturing off the topic of this thread. I know it belongs elsewhere...

Anyway, SOLID WIN LAST NIGHT! :yo:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
In the past 20 games the vast majority of the soft goals were in the first 1/4 of that run.

Agreed, don't think anyone is arguing that. Talbot has been unreal, and in my opinion should be a lock for the Steven McDonald Extra Effort award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad