Rangers Season Tickets Holders: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Keep in mind the prices they're offering for new season ticket holders are generally 20-25 bucks higher in the 200's than what tenured season ticket holders are paying so you're already behind the 8 ball in that sense in terms of resale.

To me, it really depends on how many games you go to and if you don't want to deal with the hassle of buying tickets on the secondary market often because I think from a financial POV, you're looking at breaking even at best on what you sell while most likely losing a few bucks.
I appreciate the feedback. That definitely puts a damper in my plan. A 20-25% discount for tenured season ticket holders would be tough to compete with when I’m selling games. Ideally I would go to 10-20ish games. Was hoping to get in to seasons if it made sense financially because I’ve been a lifelong fan and being a season ticket holder has been a dream. Unfortunately it has to make financial sense at the end of the day, so I have a tough choice to make.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I appreciate the feedback. That definitely puts a damper in my plan. A 20-25% discount for tenured season ticket holders would be tough to compete with when I’m selling games. Ideally I would go to 10-20ish games. Was hoping to get in to seasons if it made sense financially because I’ve been a lifelong fan and being a season ticket holder has been a dream. Unfortunately it has to make financial sense at the end of the day, so I have a tough choice to make.

If you wanted to buy 100's, I believe those prices are the same as tenured season ticket holders. It's only the 200's that are jacked up but the 100's in general are also tougher to move which is why there's so much inventory to move. As an example of the 200's prices being more, there's a pair in 202 row 5 for $119 per game. Tenured season ticket holder is paying $99 for those right now.

I think if you went to 20 you'd be okay all things considered but you should be prepared to sell some good games (rivalries, weekends, holidays, etc) to help cut down on the cost of things and to offset the dead games. Fact of the matter is MSG raised prices years back to basically take any money making ability off the table for plan holders unless you're tenured and have a great location/price point and even then it's tough.

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Also don't get your hopes up thinking MSG will ever give you the tenure pricing. From what I've heard its a taboo topic in the ticket office.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
If you wanted to buy 100's, I believe those prices are the same as tenured season ticket holders. It's only the 200's that are jacked up but the 100's in general are also tougher to move which is why there's so much inventory to move. As an example of the 200's prices being more, there's a pair in 202 row 5 for $119 per game. Tenured season ticket holder is paying $99 for those right now.

I think if you went to 20 you'd be okay all things considered but you should be prepared to sell some good games (rivalries, weekends, holidays, etc) to help cut down on the cost of things and to offset the dead games. Fact of the matter is MSG raised prices years back to basically take any money making ability off the table for plan holders unless you're tenured and have a great location/price point and even then it's tough.

I’m thinking about a pair in section 221 row 11. Right above the price break so they’re $119/seat, compared to row 10 which is $144. Seems like good value based on location, rangers shoot twice. Have them reserved for 24 hours so I’m sweating trying to make up my mind!

Reactions: broadwayblue

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I’m thinking about a pair in section 221 row 11. Right above the price break so they’re $119/seat, compared to row 10 which is $144. Seems like good value based on location, rangers shoot twice. Have them reserved for 24 hours so I’m sweating trying to make up my mind!

I think the regular tenured pricing for those $144 seats is around $114. I'm in Row 2 in that section and I think I pay $120.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I think the regular tenured pricing for those $144 seats is around $114. I'm in Row 2 in that section and I think I pay $120.

Those are also $99. Everything from row 3 through 14 is $99. No idea why those are jacked up so much for 1 row ahead. Some of the pricing doesn't make sense if you click around.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Those are also $99. Everything from row 3 through 14 is $99. No idea why those are jacked up so much for 1 row ahead. Some of the pricing doesn't make sense if you click around.
Thank you for that info. So thinking out loud here:

If I went to 20 games, that means selling 24 games. In a worst case scenario, I could expect to potentially lose the 119-99=20 per seat per game. So I would be looking at an additional loss 24x20= 480 per season ticket. I highly doubt that would be the case but that at least let’s me quantify a worst scenario and what I could lose. If they’re good and playoff bound obviously I’ll be at least even if not actually reducing some of my original cost. Any other notable benefits that aren’t outlined? They don’t mention much about extra-curricular season ticket benefit outside of food discounts ect.

James Bodeker

Jun 28, 2021
Wondering if anybody has an input on the following scenario.

I would be buying season tickets for the first time (probably a half plan), unsure of the section or row I would look to get but somewhere close to a corner but a little more centered in the 200s is looking like ~$130 a ticket. I found a reputable tenured holder that is looking to sell his tickets this year because he is moving. This would be full season, but for significantly less than the $130 a ticket. Trying to figure out if any benefits that come with being a holder is worth paying the extra or if getting my name in now (hopefully before the bright future, *knock on wood*) to start my tenure is worth it.

Not sure if this is the place for this, but any feedback is welcomed.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

If I went to 20 games, that means selling 24 games. In a worst case scenario, I could expect to potentially lose the 119-99=20 per seat per game. So I would be looking at an additional loss 24x20= 480 per season ticket. I highly doubt that would be the case but that at least let’s me quantify a worst scenario and what I could lose. If they’re good and playoff bound obviously I’ll be at least even if not actually reducing some of my original cost. Any other notable benefits that aren’t outlined? They don’t mention much about extra-curricular season ticket benefit outside of food discounts ect.

I'm not sure if selling at 99 a game is the worst case scenario because there's plan holders at that price point that lose money even at that price. Again, I think it really depends on what games you attend and what games you sell. If you're okay selling a good share of premium games while attending a good amount of less appealing games, you should do okay selling wise all things considered. This isn't factoring in the Covid variable though of potential vaccination required to attend, less tourists in town due to international restrictions, etc.

You'll get the food discount this year which is new as well as a team store discount (believe it's 15% off for new season ticket holders). They also have these things called Garden Moments which season ticket holders get 4 of a year. You can redeem them for gift bags, blankets, and other random stuff. They had cool perks where you could use them to see a morning skate which I really enjoyed (this was 18-19) but didn't offer it in 19-20. They also have a season ticket holder event where you could meet players and get stuff signed and take pictures in pre-Covid times but who knows if that's offered next season.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012

As NYRFAN218 said, that is definitely not a worst case scenario. In the scenario you proposed, the STH price is the floor. Over the past 5 years, there have been many, many games that go under face value and some become a race to the bottom if you don't sell early. A lot has to do with the overall value of the seats (rows 3 and 15 high value, row 14 terrible). I used to come out ahead back in 2014 and 2015, but given the big hikes and poor play since then, certainly not the case anymore. (I'm also not the best reseller. And it definitely helps if you have a few fans you know who will always take a few games each.) Perks have definitely gotten better since the play has dropped-- the experience garden moments are cool and could be very worth it if you have a kid that can ride the zamboni, but the blanket/hat/backpack you can get will not be as valuable as the potential $ losses. That said, if you wanted to go to at least 20 games a year, there's definitely some value in knowing you always have decent tickets and will get a crack at playoff tickets.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Wondering if anybody has an input on the following scenario.

I would be buying season tickets for the first time (probably a half plan), unsure of the section or row I would look to get but somewhere close to a corner but a little more centered in the 200s is looking like ~$130 a ticket. I found a reputable tenured holder that is looking to sell his tickets this year because he is moving. This would be full season, but for significantly less than the $130 a ticket. Trying to figure out if any benefits that come with being a holder is worth paying the extra or if getting my name in now (hopefully before the bright future, *knock on wood*) to start my tenure is worth it.

Not sure if this is the place for this, but any feedback is welcomed.
If the STH is moving, you'd probably get to use all the perks, so for this year, it likely makes the most sense to do that. But long term? Generally, the gaps between tenured and new STH isn't getting smaller, plus the sooner you get in the sooner you can relocate to better seats.

jeff spicoli

Nov 27, 2005
As NYRFAN218 said, that is definitely not a worst case scenario. In the scenario you proposed, the STH price is the floor. Over the past 5 years, there have been many, many games that go under face value and some become a race to the bottom if you don't sell early. A lot has to do with the overall value of the seats (rows 3 and 15 high value, row 14 terrible). I used to come out ahead back in 2014 and 2015, but given the big hikes and poor play since then, certainly not the case anymore. (I'm also not the best reseller. And it definitely helps if you have a few fans you know who will always take a few games each.) Perks have definitely gotten better since the play has dropped-- the experience garden moments are cool and could be very worth it if you have a kid that can ride the zamboni, but the blanket/hat/backpack you can get will not be as valuable as the potential $ losses. That said, if you wanted to go to at least 20 games a year, there's definitely some value in knowing you always have decent tickets and will get a crack at playoff tickets.

This. Definitely this. For years, I had a guy buying 10 games, another guy buying 5 games, I kept 5 pairs, a buddy took 5 pairs, and he and I went to 15 together. Last reg season game would go to the first friend who asked for a donation to his school/church/charity auction. Everyone got some playoff tix. I lost the guy buying 5 games a few years ago but I can drum up enough interest to get those 5 games sold. I never cared about selling on the secondary market. I just wanted to make sure I got every ticket sold by opening night.

@Bacon Artemi Bravo - If you pull the trigger, post something in the other ticket thread. You may find a couple of people willing to buy 5 game blocks from you.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007

My logic at the $20 loss per game was that sure I will sell some under face, but I will absolutely sell some over face as well. My plan is to sell a good mix of games. I know there are many scenarios but I was just trying to triangulate on and quantify a potential downside. Part of my logic is also that the people calculating ticket prices at MSG are probably smarter than I am, and the $119/game is probably an accurate forecast of an average of what people will be willing to pay over the course of the season. Of course there are many many variables.

Last edited:

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Pulled the trigger. So beyond stoked. Decided even if I lose money, I don't care. I've been a lifelong fan I want the NYR to be an even bigger part of my/my families life! LGR!

Reactions: Polar Bear

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Thanks. I meant to say I thought they were around $104, but I guess I was still off by $5.

I think Row 1 is like $150, Row 2 is $120 and 3 to 14 are $99. So a $50 premium for the first row and a $20 premium for the second row. I had row 1 seasons right after the renovation, and while they are nice, I couldn't justify the extra cost. I even found the glass and top of the tvs distracting. So I moved back to row 2. I do like the extra legroom and I can still watch the tvs if I want...I just can't change the channel any more. lol

NYRangers88

Section 208 Row 15
Aug 7, 2007
Long Island, NY
Anybody plan on picking up a half season plan?? There's a bunch of seats directly behind me in Section 208 Row 16/17 - was hoping to meet some friends sitting around me instead if it always being out-of-towners !!

If anyone has seats around 208 let me know - last few seasons, its pretty lonely over there in terms of fellow ticket holders lol

BluelandRanger

Jun 9, 2021
New York, NY
I guess this is an introductory post - long time lurker, first time poster!

A transplant New Yorker from Atlanta (this seems backwards, I know) who has just purchased season tickets Section 208, Row 22. Very excited to be a part of the Rangers fam! Saw this thread and wanted to give a perspective on my seats - high? Yes. But the one thing about MSG that I've noticed is that it's a tremendously smaller arena than the newer venues and that "height" is about mid-level at some other arenas so really feel like there's some value there at an average of $101 a seat. I've sat there previously and like the "perch" from a hockey POV.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone, and if there's anything that hasn't been covered as a good "need to know" in terms of being a STH, I'm all ears. LGR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino