Rangers Season Tickets Holders: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD361992

Section 227
Sep 9, 2015
NJ
I know a bunch of people in this thread are full season ticket holders, but as a younger working professional, I love splitting a half season. Is it pricey? Yes, but its not breaking the bank. Me and my buddies love Rangers hockey and this plan works for us. We rarely sell our tickets but I see why the full season plan is just not worth it. We currently sit in section 227 and the views are nice. I do appreciate the advice/feedback many Rangers fans are giving here.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
the Armageddon of ticket sales is coming...MSG will have a huge problem in the next few years with this greedy mess they have consumed themselves with

I feel like I've been hearing this on repeat for a long time now, especially in relation to the Knicks. I myself was convinced it was coming a few years ago.

I think I was wrong. Just look at the Yankees. They basically got rid of many season ticket holders when they moved to the new stadium and raised prices enormously. Everyone was saying, look at the empty seats. The market isn't based on butts in seats any longer and it seems teams could care less. The Yankees are wildly profitable. They are having their most productive years ever. Sure, they have a great team now, but the prices didn't change.

Rangers and Knicks will continue to make money. Sports teams, especially in huge markets, are just hugely popular, hugely valuable and limited in quantity. Professional teams are essentially mini-monopolies. Niche consumption is a thing of the past (unless you're a hockey team in Carolina). Anyone wishing for a significant decrease in prices will be sorely disappointed. And given that MSG is now a public entity, pleasing your shareholders is generally something that, in this type of business, will rarely lead to ticket holders betterment.

As a side note, with Lyft and Uber going public, I think we'll see something similar. The prices of rides are very likely to begin increasing. Now that they've essentially cornered the market in this area, they will need to become profitable for their shareholders.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I feel like I've been hearing this on repeat for a long time now, especially in relation to the Knicks. I myself was convinced it was coming a few years ago.

I think I was wrong. Just look at the Yankees. They basically got rid of many season ticket holders when they moved to the new stadium and raised prices enormously. Everyone was saying, look at the empty seats. The market isn't based on butts in seats any longer and it seems teams could care less. The Yankees are wildly profitable. They are having their most productive years ever. Sure, they have a great team now, but the prices didn't change.

Rangers and Knicks will continue to make money. Sports teams, especially in huge markets, are just hugely popular, hugely valuable and limited in quantity. Professional teams are essentially mini-monopolies. Niche consumption is a thing of the past (unless you're a hockey team in Carolina). Anyone wishing for a significant decrease in prices will be sorely disappointed. And given that MSG is now a public entity, pleasing your shareholders is generally something that, in this type of business, will rarely lead to ticket holders betterment.

As a side note, with Lyft and Uber going public, I think we'll see something similar. The prices of rides are very likely to begin increasing. Now that they've essentially cornered the market in this area, they will need to become profitable for their shareholders.
mini? they're as big a monopoly as you can get! :)

professional sports competition has morphed into entertainment and that crowd is a much bigger market than passionate fans. It's a story of success for marketing and diversification of the client base. Multiply that by NYC's status and wealth and you have ticket prices detached from reality and completely out of sync with what we grew up with.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
And a legal monopoly at that. It's good to be the king.
Legal because anybody can start their own league and compete. But good luck finding enough owners, a big place to play to in, and umm, the little issue of getting players with any skills who have million dollar contracts with the NHL/NBA/NFL/etc...

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Legal because anybody can start their own league and compete. But good luck finding enough owners, a big place to play to in, and umm, the little issue of getting players with any skills who have million dollar contracts with the NHL/NBA/NFL/etc...
It's legal because the leagues have an anti-trust exemption.

Section311

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2008
long Island, NY
Heard ranger renewals were on par with same as last year and Knicks renewals were as high as ever. Also there is over 2,000 deposits for next year for knicks (full, half’s and minis included?)

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Heard ranger renewals were on par with same as last year and Knicks renewals were as high as ever. Also there is over 2,000 deposits for next year for knicks (full, half’s and minis included?)
FOMO with the anticipation of KD+1 and the prospect of Zion. I was actually toying with the idea of going from 2 to 4 knicks but I doubt I'll be able to stay in my location if I do that.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
mini? they're as big a monopoly as you can get! :)

professional sports competition has morphed into entertainment and that crowd is a much bigger market than passionate fans. It's a story of success for marketing and diversification of the client base. Multiply that by NYC's status and wealth and you have ticket prices detached from reality and completely out of sync with what we grew up with.

I recall a sports talk radio exchange regarding the mindset of the average patron to a Knicks game... The caller had asked some people, who were leaving / on a train home from a game / who were dressed up in Knicks gear (or had MSG shopping bags in tow or some other tell) where they were. The patrons replied, "The Knicks game." The caller then asked, "Who did they play?" The patrons replied, "I don't know."

That should shine a bright light on the business. It's not about going to the game and being involved like a passionate fan. It's about going to the amusement park and watching performers...

Reactions: NCRanger

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Legal because Congress says so.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It's legal because the leagues have an anti-trust exemption.
Legal because Congress says so.
As far as I know, only Major League Baseball has total immunity with that anti-trust exemption based on a judge's statement a long time ago expressing his view that "baseball is a game and not a business". Other leagues (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLS) are treated as a business like most others in terms of the Sherman Antitrust Act, with some small carve outs approved by congress. In those leagues the players could in theory tear up the CBA at any time and sue the leagues for anti-trust violations

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Knicks games are vastly different crowds than Ranger games. The Rangers get a lot of tourists and corporates but there’s also a ton of actual fans too. From my experience Sunday (and the Knicks sucking could play a factor too), the building was majority people there to see LeBron and tourists. The amount of tourists that go to Knicks games is staggering.

Reactions: ray hey

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Knicks games are vastly different crowds than Ranger games. The Rangers get a lot of tourists and corporates but there’s also a ton of actual fans too. From my experience Sunday (and the Knicks sucking could play a factor too), the building was majority people there to see LeBron and tourists. The amount of tourists that go to Knicks games is staggering.
Specifically that was to see LeBron and the Lakers. The Lakers have been a very hot ticket even when they had no names the past couple of years. This year even with ticket prices in the dumpster that game was a $200 get in, more anticipated than the Warriors game.

But I gotta tell you, if just Kevin Durant signs, the tickets are going to go through the stratosphere like nothing we've ever seen in the NYC over a whole season

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
KD isn't coming by himself - this will be Amar'e and Melo redux but hopefully better (and this time keeping their lottery pick).

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
As far as I know, only Major League Baseball has total immunity with that anti-trust exemption based on a judge's statement a long time ago expressing his view that "baseball is a game and not a business". Other leagues (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLS) are treated as a business like most others in terms of the Sherman Antitrust Act, with some small carve outs approved by congress. In those leagues the players could in theory tear up the CBA at any time and sue the leagues for anti-trust violations
Yes I think that's right but it is primarily for the pooling of broadcasting and media rights etc AFAIK so not too small. Sure if they tear up the CBAs there'd be no more draft or RFAs but how many teams would collapse without that? Oddly, the only league without a salary cap is the one league with the full anti-trust exemption.

Section311

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2008
long Island, NY
FOMO with the anticipation of KD+1 and the prospect of Zion. I was actually toying with the idea of going from 2 to 4 knicks but I doubt I'll be able to stay in my location if I do that.
I had them in sec 226 a few years ago but got killed..what’s a good price point section for knicks? Is it same as rangers ?

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I have bridge seats on center court at $95/ticket which I think is the around the same price as upperbowl rows 3-14. Center ice bridge seats for the rangers are about $140 (?) while upperbowls are around the same price maybe a bit higher (my upper-upper bowl centers are $89/ticket). Variable pricing tends to be more variable with the knicks than the rangers.

I have no problem selling knicks tickets on the bridge but didn't do so well when I was in the upper bowl or on the bridge but not on center court. If the Knicks ever get good the prices on these seats will increase fast. But if the knicks are good it won't matter.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
My rep is absolutely relentless! I've been ignoring everything since i'm not renewing and this dude sends me emails, calls, and texts at least once a day. Funny how my deadline expired 2 weeks ago but now they have "extended" my deadline so i don't miss out :laugh:

I'm DONE paying 25% more or whatever it is than the guy 2 inches behind me in the next row. Years and years of begging to move back and they just blow it off with empty promises. Well f*** you, i'll blow you off too.

Reactions: ray hey

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
My rep is absolutely relentless! I've been ignoring everything since i'm not renewing and this dude sends me emails, calls, and texts at least once a day. Funny how my deadline expired 2 weeks ago but now they have "extended" my deadline so i don't miss out :laugh:

I'm DONE paying 25% more or whatever it is than the guy 2 inches behind me in the next row. Years and years of begging to move back and they just blow it off with empty promises. Well **** you, i'll blow you off too.
One would think that they would do it if they keep calling you, but no.

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013
I was going to get rid of my Jets plan until Trump exiled Father Woody and Brother Chris cut my ticket price by 25%.

They cut your ticket prices? What section are you in? I’m in 135 and they’ve never cut my cost...

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I renewed my seasons...but I'm looking to split them up next year and perhaps beyond as I did many years ago. If anyone is looking to go in on a quarter or half share for 3 Gallery Seats on the aisle in Row 2 let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce