Rangers Season Tickets Holders: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers110

Apr 29, 2012
I spoke recently to Stubhub and they explained it is a function of proximity to game, popularity of the game and other factors. I think they are just testing various fees. I have noticed for recent Yankee sales it is still 10%. Last couple of Ranger sales have also been 10%. It may also be a function of the sales one does on the site. Sellers who sell only a few games might be charged 15% while larger sellers are still charged 10%

That's what Stubhub told you but I doubt it has to do with popularity or proximity to game. The Carolina game isn't very popular and I was charged 15% fees. Also if it had to do with proximity to game you would think they would lower fee to 10% if game was 1 or 2 days away. I've even tried to delete listings as it got closer to game date and create a new listing but fee was still 15%

yankeejimbeam

Dec 17, 2018
That's what Stubhub told you but I doubt it has to do with popularity or proximity to game. The Carolina game isn't very popular and I was charged 15% fees. Also if it had to do with proximity to game you would think they would lower fee to 10% if game was 1 or 2 days away. I've even tried to delete listings as it got closer to game date and create a new listing but fee was still 15%
Just sold 2 for the Kings game on 2/4 and was charged 10%. I think it has much more to do with the volume one sells on Stubhub. The more one sells the lower the fees paid

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
StubHub’s fees are outrageous in general. I looked at tickets for the game tomorrow night and buyer fees are upwards of 30% of the ticket. It’s out of control.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
I am new to this...so stubhub charges the seller AND the buyer ? if that's so that is some gangsta mafia stuff

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
stock market charges bips, stubhub charges an f'n third of the whole thing
They get you coming and going just like stubhub. If ticket markets were the size of the stock market the spread would be similar. But some markets are even smaller - low volume options markets have larger spreads than stubhub.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
They get you coming and going just like stubhub. If ticket markets were the size of the stock market the spread would be similar. But some markets are even smaller - low volume options markets have larger spreads than stubhub.
That analogy doesn't work - on low volume equities there can be a huge spread but that's the bid/ask not the fee price. The exchange fees don't go from 0.01 per share to 30% of the equity just because there's no liquidity.

The reason the secondary ticket exchanges charge the huge fees is presumably to absorb the fraud of semi-anonymous sellers sending unverified tickets to buyers. That's the real difference between the stock market and ticket exchanges - all stock equities are registered with the SEC and there is no doubt that the 100 shares of Apple you buy are actually 100 shares of Apple.

To get the ticket fees down the teams and venues would need to be compelled to open up verification for all barcodes to third party vendors and at that point there would be no fraud liability and competition amongst exchanges would slash fees down to 5-10%

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
That analogy doesn't work - on low volume equities there can be a huge spread but that's the bid/ask not the fee price. The exchange fees don't go from 0.01 per share to 30% of the equity just because there's no liquidity.

The reason the secondary ticket exchanges charge the huge fees is presumably to absorb the fraud of semi-anonymous sellers sending unverified tickets to buyers. That's the real difference between the stock market and ticket exchanges - all stock equities are registered with the SEC and there is no doubt that the 100 shares of Apple you buy are actually 100 shares of Apple.

To get the ticket fees down the teams and venues would need to be compelled to open up verification for all barcodes to third party vendors and at that point there would be no fraud liability and competition amongst exchanges would slash fees down to 5-10%

So what's the reason for the exorbitant fees in a market like Vegas where everything is digital & the team requires us to resell our seats on Flashseats, where it is impossible to list fraudulent tickets? Flashseats charges buyer fees between 30-35%. Plain & simple, it's greed.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
So what's the reason for the exorbitant fees in a market like Vegas where everything is digital & the team requires us to resell our seats on Flashseats, where it is impossible to list fraudulent tickets? Flashseats charges buyer fees between 30-35%. Plain & simple, it's greed.
The reason is exactly what I said - monopoly. Flash seats is venue owned, they have monopoly power over the barcodes so they can charge whatever they want

Reactions: Boris Zubov

MikePLee

Oct 9, 2011
Hey quick question, is anyone going to the Msg viewing party on Thursday night? I did not see a location listed on Garden moments. Did anyone get that info yet? Thank you!

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Knicks just blasted all STHs with a mushy email about how "your voice has been heard. Our commitment to you is to continue to create brand new ‘Garden Moments’ which provide more ways for you to customize your membership through exclusive experiences, gifts and opportunities to get closer to the team."

Sounds like MSG is worried about retaining STHs which is strange considering in the past 3 years they've been doing everything humanly possible to get them to drop their fulls and go partial

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Knicks just blasted all STHs with a mushy email about how "your voice has been heard. Our commitment to you is to continue to create brand new ‘Garden Moments’ which provide more ways for you to customize your membership through exclusive experiences, gifts and opportunities to get closer to the team."

Sounds like MSG is worried about retaining STHs which is strange considering in the past 3 years they've been doing everything humanly possible to get them to drop their fulls and go partial
Have they had turnover above the "account rep" and "supervising account rep" level? Or shall we say, a change in the people who make the decisions on such strategies?

I would agree that over the last few years MSG seemed less interested in selling full packages and more mini's. They used the argument, "We want more fans to have tickets" which everyone knows is B.S. They want to jack up the prices. Could have simply been the top person who implemented this left and the person who has taken over completely disagreed with that approach? Or, they realized having the large base of full-season holders, is beneficial long-term. Keep those people year-to-year with minimal effort, and then create higher demand for the lower supply on mini packages and individual tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad