Seravalli: Rangers, Sabres, Red Wings in the mix for Kane

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
He wants a one year deal to a contender to set himself up for one more big payday.

Detroit and Buffalo not contenders.

Rangers the only team that really fits

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Detroit just seems like such a sneaky good fit for him. They could actually really use his skillset. It'd elevate that team quite a bit. Buffalo and New York...they don't really need him and probably can't get the absolute most out of him anyway.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
kane-fire.gif
The clearly pre-recorded scream that repeated over and over in this segment still haunts my dreams! :laugh:

Reactions: Oddbob

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
rangers dont have any cap space the other 2 do. I wonder if that comes into effect? would you take a prorated 1 year $5mil at DET or BUFF or $1mil rangers? I know you want to win cups but 35 year old palyers are just not getting Long term deals so you also probably want to get paid fairly. what would you do? take $4mil from DET or BUFF or $750K rangers. thats alot of money to leave on the table when you are never going to make what you used to. Its not all about the money but it is your job and his earing potential is just going down.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
It wasn't just the performance, line chemistry was off as soon as he came in, the PP looked much worse trying to squeeze him in.

Would that be different under a new coaching staff ? Who knows.

What I do know is that I don't want to push Laf/Kakko/Cuylle down the lineup to accommodate for him and I doubt Kane would take any kind of a lesser role. The fit just isn't right.
Because Laf and Kaako are lighting it up on the top 2 lines. They each have 1 point in 3 games when Zib, Kreids and Panarin all with 4 -5 points. Laf is a bust and Kaako although he tries just doesn't have the offensive ability to put up points like we all thought he would. Rather have Kane than Wheeler who looks completely useless. Laf is just not a top 6 player. We all want to believe he is but he just clearly isn't. Lindgren would put up more points as a forward than Laf would. For league minimum i would take Kane in a second. Cuylie could stay where he is, Kane won't take his spot and maybe down the road we decide to finally cut our losses with laf and othman can come in and replace him.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s not chasing a Cup. People seem to ignore that. He’s looking for a home to finish his career. The only way he signs a 1 year contract, is if his medicals are questionable.

It’s why Detroit and Buffalo make so much sense for him. Up and comers, where he likely plays in the playoffs 2, maybe all 3 years. It’s going to probably be a 2-3 year deal with a complete NMC. Year 2 and 3, both are likely playoff teams. So his decision won’t be, all about this season.

It’s going to be where he feels the most comfortable over the next 2-3 years. Most likely 3 years. No different than when Pavelski signed in Dallas.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Because Laf and Kaako are lighting it up on the top 2 lines. They each have 1 point in 3 games when Zib, Kreids and Panarin all with 4 -5 points. Laf is a bust and Kaako although he tries just doesn't have the offensive ability to put up points like we all thought he would. Rather have Kane than Wheeler who looks completely useless. Laf is just not a top 6 player. We all want to believe he is but he just clearly isn't. Lindgren would put up more points as a forward than Laf would. For league minimum i would take Kane in a second. Cuylie could stay where he is, Kane won't take his spot and maybe down the road we decide to finally cut our losses with laf and othman can come in and replace him.
It might come as a surprise for you, but there's this thing called powerplay in hockey where star players get a large chunk of their points. And the kids don't play PP1.

Even strength, no Rangers skater has more than 2 points after 3 games. Laf and Kakko having 1 doesn't really concern me.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Exactly what the Sabres need another forward that doesn't play defence.

It's a no brainer to waive or trade Victor Olofsson and sign Patrick. Kane. Sure, Buffalo can't use Kane. Sure. The PP was stale as the season progressed last year (the whole world knows we just set up for a Tage Thompson one-timer) and it looks pretty crappy again. The Benson kid is exciting but when people tell me my Sabres can't find room for Kane it just makes me laugh.

Now if he actually is still injured (and this surgery is not highly successful) then you've got a decent argument. A healthy or 75% healthy Kane helps Buffalo.

Reactions: nickdawg95

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
He’s not chasing a Cup. People seem to ignore that. He’s looking for a home to finish his career. The only way he signs a 1 year contract, is if his medicals are questionable.

It’s why Detroit and Buffalo make so much sense for him. Up and comers, where he likely plays in the playoffs 2, maybe all 3 years. It’s going to probably be a 2-3 year deal with a complete NMC. Year 2 and 3, both are likely playoff teams. So his decision won’t be, all about this season.

It’s going to be where he feels the most comfortable over the next 2-3 years. Most likely 3 years. No different than when Pavelski signed in Dallas.

It's been reported he only wants to go to a contender and on a one year deal this time

He also wants to play into his 40s

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Not gonna disagree about Laf and Kakko but Zib Kreider and Panarin have scored their points in special teams, Rangers have not been scoring much so far

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It's been reported he only wants to go to a contender and on a one year deal this time

He also wants to play into his 40s
Who’s saying this? Cause that would go completely against multiple Detroit reports now, and yesterday’s Rangers, Wings and Sabres report… Only seen and heard that narrative on here, and on Toronto radio shows, where a host was speculating how the Leafs “could “ get him, that fans ran with.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Detroit makes a lot of sense especially considering they need to get Raymond off the top line.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Detroit makes a lot of sense especially considering they need to get Raymond off the top line.
He has to be licking his chops to slide onto that line. Debrincat is leading the league in scoring, and Larkin is one of the few Cs who gains the zone at will. It’s much more than that though…

This cannot be overstated enough. When you “think the game” at such a high rate like Kane does, 99% of the time your own linemates can’t keep up with what you’re thinking IN REAL TIME. Physical speed is only half of that equation for Kane. Debrincat processes, and thinks the game at that same level, and he does it with speed. That’s what made them so good together. It really is a huge advantage, and it’s a little rare for two wingers to have this together.

I’m actually a little surprised how nicely Larkin is doing the same with Debrincat right now. Maybe he’s just been stuck in a place who hasn’t had a player to bring out those skills. Who knows, but it’s looking really good right now.

That’s why Kane is so interested in Detroit more than people would think. Now, Detroit has to want him enough to meet his salary demands too, as well as accepting his medicals, but it cannot be overstated, what an advantage it is, for Kane to know there’s a player there, who thinks the game at the same level as he does, and can also do it, at the same speed.

It can get very frustrating for a player with those skills, not to have someone on his line/team who can keep up with him in this regard. He doesn’t have to worry about that if he signs in Detroit. It’s not to say there’s nobody in Buffalo that can’t happen with, but he knows there’s one in Detroit..

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
He has to be licking his chops to slide onto that line. Debrincat is leading the league in scoring, and Larkin is one of the few Cs who gains the zone at will. It’s much more than that though…

This cannot be overstated enough. When you “think the game” at such a high rate like Kane does, 99% of the time your own linemates can’t keep up with what you’re thinking IN REAL TIME. Physical speed is only half of that equation for Kane. Debrincat processes, and thinks the game at that same level, and he does it with speed. That’s what made them so good together. It really is a huge advantage, and it’s a little rare for two wingers to have this together.

I’m actually a little surprised how nicely Larkin is doing the same with Debrincat right now. Maybe he’s just been stuck in a place who hasn’t had a player to bring out those skills. Who knows, but it’s looking really good right now.

That’s why Kane is so interested in Detroit more than people would think. Now, Detroit has to want him enough to meet his salary demands too, as well as accepting his medicals, but it cannot be overstated, what an advantage it is, for Kane to know there’s a player there, who thinks the game at the same level as he does, and can also do it, at the same speed.

It can get very frustrating for a player with those skills, not to have someone on his line/team who can keep up with him in this regard. He doesn’t have to worry about that if he signs in Detroit. It’s not to say there’s nobody in Buffalo that can’t happen with, but he knows there’s one in Detroit..

I think it also possibly unlocks Raymond who is at his best when he has the puck. He needs his own line to drive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad