Post-Game Talk: Rangers / Sabres - Haley is a Second Liner

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not saviors, but these guys would play better if Torts would allow some creativity. At this stage, MSG is where hockey talent dies a slow death. We need a new gameplan, and with that new gameplan we need players who can pass (Zucc, Stepan) and players who can receive passes in open ice (Kreider, Hagelin, Gaborik)

I dont see Tortorella smothering creativity - I think this a myth bred out of frustration. I also dont see how bringing in borderline NHL'ers helps this perceived problem the fanbase only sees after losses.

I see a team that, outside of Nash and probably Stepan, just isnt inheritantly creative to begin with.

Apr 10, 2012
I dont "hate" Zuc, at all.

The truth hurts sometimes.

rofl... kind of confused what you mean by that, but he def has the strength, but either way this belongs in zuke thread not here.

this was a horrible game. disgraceful. we have way too much talent to be manhandled all game and our talent didn't show up. nash looks as lazy as ovechkin out there. richards played fine. gaborik had a good shift when he was playing the proper side. rest of the team was awful. gabby needs to be put where he belongs. nuff said

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I find it alarming that we've yet to see Tortorella out-coach someone in a game, or ever take responsibility for the team's struggles. What's the excuse? He needed more scoring, but now he's upset he doesn't have 5 guys on the roster who can play on any line at multiple positions and he's treating last years leading scorer like someone else's garbage. He seems to have no ability whatsoever to adapt.

This a million times over. Its been my biggest problem with him, and ultimately the reason why I think he needs to go after this season.

Sather too.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
This a million times over. Its been my biggest problem with him, and ultimately the reason why I think he needs to go after this season.

Sather too.

Sather gave Torts more than enough offense this year. Its up to Torts to get it out of them

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sather gave Torts more than enough offense this year. Its up to Torts to get it out of them

The problem is that Torts keeps ****ing up the lines. I think Haley played with all of Richards, Stepan, Nash, Gaborik, Callahan, Halpern and Powe in 1 game. Ridiculous.

What this team needs, is consistency, not a coach shuffling the lines until something clicks.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The problem is that Torts keeps ****ing up the lines. I think Haley played with all of Richards, Stepan, Nash, Gaborik, Callahan, Halpern and Powe in 1 game. Ridiculous.

What this team needs, is consistency, not a coach shuffling the lines until something clicks.
Keep shuffling and all chemistry will be lost and nothing will click.

Inquisition13

Mar 4, 2013
ok we've only had a regular chance to win the cup, what, once in torts' time here? and that was last year. we certainly don't look like contenders so far this year.

No. The Rangers have a chance every single time they make the playoffs--period.

Tortorella is not the one on the ice. He calls the plays. It's up to the players to execute. For the love of God, the entire NHL was in a lockout. Teams didn't have full training camps, and most coaches were responsible for turning chicken **** into chicken salad. Give the season time.

I've been a lurker on these forums for a very long time, and if there's one thing I can say about this board, is that it's as bi-polar as they come.

As soon as the Rangers go on a another winning streak and look like Genghis Khan world conquerors again, the whining and crying about Torts will disappear.

Until people find something else to complain about.

Relax. Give the Rangers some time. They will be fine.

Inquisition13

Mar 4, 2013
I don't get it.

Callahan gives your standard, cliched, monotonous post game interview = "CALLA-SHAM IS BORING. HE NEEDS TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS. HE SAYS THE SAME THINGS RABBLE FRABBLE".

Torts gives a pissed off presser-"TORTS? MORE LIKE SHORT-ORELLA THAT TINY *****. HE SHOULD STOP BEING SUCH AN ASS".

Somethings got to give.

You hit the nail on the head. :handclap:

And I thought Knicks fans were bad...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Sather too.

I agree. I wasn't crazy about him to begin with, but he's worn out his welcome with me.

I think this whole organization needs a shakeup. Too many people are complacent and too many people are given too much leeway. Kenny G isn't doing a great job in CT. Tortorella apparently needs a team full of Callahan and Nash types in order to win. I don't even know what Sullivan does. Sather is addicted to July 1st and making splashes and is constantly overhauling the roster. Aside from a couple "fleecings" in trades, he's been very poor when it comes to asset management as well.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
No depth at coach either, good point :laugh:

I wonder what is said about the atmosphere around this team. IMO, the levels always having to be at "11" is the reason this team has the highs and lows. It's one thing when all the parts work and make sense, its another when you're forcing it.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I'm still kind of laughing at Haley playing on the first line, but ironically enough, he quite possibly had the closest scoring opportunity of the 3rd period :laugh:

Drewbackatu*

I dont see Tortorella smothering creativity - I think this a myth bred out of frustration. I also dont see how bringing in borderline NHL'ers helps this perceived problem the fanbase only sees after losses.

I see a team that, outside of Nash and probably Stepan, just isnt inheritantly creative to begin with.

Bingo! Nice to see a modicum of objectivity and truthfulness about our team on these boards.
We have such a dearth of talent, size and depth that it is beyond hysterical to read some of the lame excuses as to why we are a "middle of the pack" team right and going forward. Thanks a lot Glen Sather for being so out of touch with the league and the teams needs. Good thing you have a lifetime job compliments of your equally out of touch boss!

Apr 10, 2012
I'm still kind of laughing at Haley playing on the first line, but ironically enough, he quite possibly had the closest scoring opportunity of the 3rd period :laugh:

i thought he played pretty well in the position that he was thrust into... not to say that i want him on the 2nd line, but regardless... he was on of the few guys that showed up last night

Punxrocknyc19*

i thought he played pretty well in the position that he was thrust into... not to say that i want him on the 2nd line, but regardless... he was on of the few guys that showed up last night

i say put him on the pp... at this point reward the players that are playing hard and well and bench anyone who doesnt play well no matter of how big of a name the player is or what he has done in the past..... more accountability might help this team that at times seems lazy :help:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Team did not play that badly. Outshot them by a bunch despite being out-PP'd 5-1 for some reason since the refs didn't feel like calling penalties on buffalo today. Obviously had an extremely poor stretch in the period but played really well in the third, decent in the first just happened to run into Enroth playing a great game.

Playing Gaborik on the left side really makes no sense at all - especially having him on the left side on the point on the powerplay...how exactly is he supposed to shoot from there? Thought he actually had a pretty solid game overall though. Had a few decent chances.

I don't think Gaborik has a good side.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
That's why it's funny. He played better than a lot of our top guys

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Well then I'm glad in 2 of the past 3 years he has scored 40 goals without having a good side. Lol @ all the small sample results oriented fans in here. Learn about statistics and probability maybe?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
No depth at coach either, good point :laugh:

I wonder what is said about the atmosphere around this team. IMO, the levels always having to be at "11" is the reason this team has the highs and lows. It's one thing when all the parts work and make sense, its another when you're forcing it.

We have quite a few low key personalities in the room. All of the screaming and yelling has to get old pretty quick.

Apr 10, 2012
I'm as negative as can be, but must we blow up the team after every loss?

just the pond hockey losses. as far as losses go. this one was absolutely horrible-- especially after seeing what this team has done so well for the past month fall apart. nobody showed up. stupid penalties. bad coaching decisions. it was an embarrassing game to watch and it shows that tortorella has done nothing to control *this team. he's just getting lucky wins because nash decides to come out of the woodwork for a few weeks. nobody is buying in. guys are getting injured left and right. it doesn't look like a bunch of kids having fun anymore. it looks like a bunch of men working in retail.

and of course-- we lost to a bad team and a horrible goaltender(he had a good game when he actually had to deal with shots)

personally i think everybody is afraid of getting traded at first sign of weakness. we had such a good performance last year. guys were willing to sacrifice themselves to win, and they basically blew the team up because of a sub-par playoff performance. we lost key guys in prust, dubinsky, anisimov, and fedotenko. we added a low-key, quiet personality to the room and lost a few high-energy personalities.

*this team referring to this year's team. idc what torts did last year

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
i say put him on the pp... at this point reward the players that are playing hard and well and bench anyone who doesnt play well no matter of how big of a name the player is or what he has done in the past..... more accountability might help this team that at times seems lazy :help:

You are describing exactly what Torts already does. That's how you get Mitchells and Boyles on a PP where they do not belong, how is that helpful? Rewarding them for hard work doesn't suddenly make them skilled players. No matter how well they play they need to stay in a role where they are fit to succeed. Asking too much of players isn't a reward. It's stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad