Post-Game Talk: Rangers / Sabres - Haley is a Second Liner

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Tortorella is a sideshow. The bottom line is this is a game that a good team wins. Easily.

Tonight's performance was just not good enough. And we've been saying that too often this season.

If the Rangers play against Pittsburgh the way they played tonight, the Penguins will win by a touchdown.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
And I think a legion of thousands of fans who have seen the best and worst of the Rangers over the years also know what works and what doesnt, and something wrong when they see it.

The line juggling needs to stop.

No we are all imbeciles and because our path in life wasn't coaching hockey we are unable to learn anything about it or analyze someone else doing it.

I'm not a professional at a lot of things in life but I can understand most of them well enough to be critical of others who are. Do we know more than Torts? No. There is stuff he is privvy to that we never could be and he is a paid professional. However after watching him coach this team for years every single game, I think we all have a pretty good idea what his strengths and weaknesses are. I'm sure the same people who are happy saying Torts is a pro and we are all clueless so stop armchair coaching, are also on the other hand fine with going to work and calling their superiors idiots for their mistakes and weaknesses.

As far as insults, Torts can publically insult people doing their job, but we are not allowed to take it to him on a message board? As if the guy gives a **** what we say anyway.

Last edited:

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
so... before we trade Gaborik for just anything.. Can Torts do me a favor and put him on his natural side (RW) and as far away from Boyle and Miller as he can possibly be? The guy is coming off shoulder surgery, playing off his natural side and playing with the likes of Brian Boyle holy **** who wouldn't suck

Agreed. Get him on Stepans RW ASAP!

*Bob Richards*

I don't get it.

Callahan gives your standard, cliched, monotonous post game interview = "CALLA-SHAM IS BORING. HE NEEDS TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS. HE SAYS THE SAME THINGS RABBLE FRABBLE".

Torts gives a pissed off presser-"TORTS? MORE LIKE SHORT-ORELLA THAT TINY *****. HE SHOULD STOP BEING SUCH AN ASS".

Somethings got to give.

Thunderhead

May 15, 2012
Raleigh NC
In an effort to cheer you guys up, here is a comical picture of Claude Julien:

BFM3i9xCQAAYE2e.jpg

He made that face when his gk took a high sticking penalty, trying to say that it was embellished by Kunitz.

*Bob Richards*

Do we ever need to beat the Penguins. Accomplish that, and its smooth sailing mentally for at least a little while.

Apr 10, 2012
Do we ever need to beat the Penguins. Accomplish that, and its smooth sailing mentally for at least a little while.

orrrr we win and think we're the best team in the league again and fall back on our heels and it becomes the end of the world for this hockey club.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
All the comments about Torts and putting guys like Haley on the top line.

WTF do you expect him to do when the top guys play like Buffalo is going to bend over and grab their ankles?

I would have benched all of the top guys save Stepan and Cally and played all of my bottom 6 over my top guys.

Last night was a disgusting display and effort.

Torts was 100% right.

Torts should skate them to death today. 45 Minutes of suicides.

Disgusting effort

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't get it.

Callahan gives your standard, cliched, monotonous post game interview = "CALLA-SHAM IS BORING. HE NEEDS TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS. HE SAYS THE SAME THINGS RABBLE FRABBLE".

Torts gives a pissed off presser-"TORTS? MORE LIKE SHORT-ORELLA THAT TINY *****. HE SHOULD STOP BEING SUCH AN ASS".

Somethings got to give.

There's a difference.

Callahan's post-game interviews are vanilla and boring. Very predictable, he went to the Drury school of interviewing, and there are a lot of people out there who would prefer a fiery captain.

Now, in Torts's defense, he does come out to the media sometimes with a fire under his ass, and ready to rip into his team. Last night though, was incredibly unprofessional. He took out his frustrations with his own team on the media, specifically Sam. He was completely 100% in the wrong.

If he had come out and just said "we sucked, we let a ****** team off the hook last night, that was two points we needed, and the guys in the room need to realize that they're throwing points away" it would have been a satisfactory, to the point, and great post-game. Instead, he goes off on a tangent and rails the media. It was ridiculous.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Last night, I had a dream, Torts called up Kreider and got Zuccarello to NY. GWe beat the Pens 4-1 with Gaborik scoring after 30 seconds, set up by Zucc...

Torts, make it happen!

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I find it alarming that we've yet to see Tortorella out-coach someone in a game, or ever take responsibility for the team's struggles. What's the excuse? He needed more scoring, but now he's upset he doesn't have 5 guys on the roster who can play on any line at multiple positions and he's treating last years leading scorer like someone else's garbage. He seems to have no ability whatsoever to adapt.

One of the few bright spots has been Stepan. Kid is doing everything and seems to be able to play with whomever he gets stuck with. He's even developing solid chemistry with Cally after they showed almost none of it previously. Callahan was also very good last night.

As for the 3rd star, I'd give it to Del Zotto. I thought he had his best game of the year in terms of creating offense from the back end. He was rushing the puck with speed and making very good outlet passes without telegraphing them. He also looked poised and creative on the point on the PP. I've been saying he and Richards cannot co-exist on the PP, and it's looking more and more like I was right. *toot toot*

Speaking of, Richards looked awful. Again. Really just proves that these high-priced UFA's have nothing to play for after they sign that big contract. Gabby at least wanted to show the world that he was capable of returning to being one of the most dangerous scorers in the league. Nash came here with the "unrealized potential" chip on his shoulder. Richards looks like he doesn't care.

The Gaborik on the LW experiment has to end now. He's clearly not comfortable there.

Agreed with some others who have said that Danny G and McDonagh both look a bit off. Something isn't 100% with those two.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Anyone and everyone who thinks Mats Zuccarello is any sort of 'answer' to this team, needs to get out more.

The answers are there already, guys need to step up.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Anyone and everyone who thinks Mats Zuccarello is any sort of 'answer' to this team, needs to get out more.

The answers are there already, guys need to step up.

We need more players who want to take a risk. Who can pass in stead of the ridiculous dump-and-chase tactic.

Leetch2McDonagh27

Jan 21, 2013
We need more players who want to take a risk. Who can pass in stead of the ridiculous dump-and-chase tactic.

yes....but Torts will have MZA dumping every puck into those corners so fast....either that or he'll sit. Torts and his system will neutralize any creativity he' got, just like the rest of the guys.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I hope youre not in politics.

We're 100% entitled as fans and ones who pay his salary (in case you forgot) to questioning and critiquing the coach.

Politicians specialize in pandering to dumb people that don't know the full scope of the issues. I have my issues with Torts but, quite frankly, Im happy he doesnt spend time addressing inane and generic critiques about how he switches line combinations or plays a dump and chase system - the former is often needed and the latter is simply untrue.

You have every right to come on a message board, subject yourself to knee-jerk reactions, and ***** and moan about pet peeve issues that really dont mean much in the grand scheme of things.

To feel that you're entitled to have the NYR coaching staff care about what you think is laughable.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Zuccarello has the will, he just doesnt have the size and the speed needed to play at even strength at this level, period.

Kreider? LOL. He was walking on eggshells up here. Lets have him start moving his feet first before we envision him taking some offensive risks.

If these 2 are your saviors, this team is in HUGE trouble.

Apr 10, 2012
Zuccarello has the will, he just doesnt have the size and the speed needed to play at even strength at this level, period.

Kreider? LOL. He was walking on eggshells up here. Lets have him start moving his feet first before we envision him taking some offensive risks.

If these 2 are your saviors, this team is in HUGE trouble.

you really hate zuke.. i don't know if he's really helpful on this team, but come on... he is fine in the nhl. he has enough strength. he just isn't designed for board hockey and unfortunately that's what tortorella wants us playing here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not saviors, but these guys would play better if Torts would allow some creativity. At this stage, MSG is where hockey talent dies a slow death. We need a new gameplan, and with that new gameplan we need players who can pass (Zucc, Stepan) and players who can receive passes in open ice (Kreider, Hagelin, Gaborik)

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
you really hate zuke.. i don't know if he's really helpful on this team, but come on... he is fine in the nhl. he has enough strength. he just isn't designed for board hockey and unfortunately that's what tortorella wants us playing here.

I dont "hate" Zuc, at all.

The truth hurts sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad