Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Updated: 11.25.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There are 5-6 guys on that list that I think I would put Kravtsov ahead of at this point. It's tough though because while I think he'll be better than guys like Wahlstrom, Sharangovich, and Zadina, there's still enough doubt based on track record that I think you could justify having him around 20. I don't agree with Wheeler's assessment of lacking a dynamic aspect to his game, though.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
There's definitely reservations to be had with Kravtsov, but not dynamic and lackluster skater are not two qualities I would associate with him. And anyway, how many star players are selected at 9th overall? The players selected after him had just as many question marks, just different ones

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think Kravstov has high end potential after seeing him last season. I think he does have the potential to be better than Buchnevich and that’s a top line player. I’m not expecting Bure, but 60+ points? Solid defensively? Why not?

Reactions: buckmaster

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Kravtsov has always struck me as a player who was going to peak a little later than usual, the same way Kreider needed three years at BC and a couple seasons between the AHL and NHL before he was ready. That may mean that that peak is a little shorter too, but from what I saw of Kravtsov he looks like a kid with a lot of room to grow and a good head on his shoulders that could get him there. Personally, I'm still higher on him than on the other forwards listed ahead of him up to Kotkaniemi.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
What's the story with Lamb? He only played at a HS level his draft year, but put up great numbers so they took a gamble on him, or do I have that wrong? I see he is signed to play in the ncaa next year.

Any particular reason he wasn't playing at a higher level and has any other player that's been drafted out of HS had any impact in the NHL? I'm not the best with youth hockey, so i'm honestly not too familiar with scenarios like his. Really looking forward to seeing him develop in any case.
He was a high school junior this year.

Let me repeat...junior.

He's going to play this year in the USHL at Green Bay and next year he will go to the University of Minnesota and play under Bob Motzko. Ultimate high risk, high reward player.

Love it, love it, love it.

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014

Let me repeat...junior.

He's going to play this year in the USHL at Green Bay and next year he will go to the University of Minnesota and play under Bob Motzko. Ultimate high risk, high reward player.

Absolutely love this pick as well. Ultimate boom or bust type pick. Taken late in the draft. May crash a burn, but there is upside here.

Reactions: Kords

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Let me repeat...junior.

Minnesota high school hockey is not the same as it was 10, even 5 years ago. Prep hockey in general, including Shattuck, doesnt have the same luster as it used to.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Minnesota high school hockey is not the same as it was 10, even 5 years ago. Prep hockey in general, including Shattuck, doesnt have the same luster as it used to.
I’m not sure I agree with that. I went to several MN high school tournaments and I thought the caliber of play was pretty good.

Keep in mind, Lamb went to a small school and played against other smaller schools.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

YIKES, his updated ranking is extremely brutal lol. Q Hughes No1? Super high on Ty Smith?

And he starts with:
“At this point, I also have enough viewings and enough data on these players to feel extremely confident in my understanding of where they’re at and where they’re trending.”

You will be seeing me refer to this articles years from now on the topic that you cannot judge a draft 3 years after it has been made.

Reactions: egelband

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
YIKES, his updated ranking is extremely brutal lol. Q Hughes No1? Super high on Ty Smith?

And he starts with:
“At this point, I also have enough viewings and enough data on these players to feel extremely confident in my understanding of where they’re at and where they’re trending.”

You will be seeing me refer to this articles years from now on the topic that you cannot judge a draft 3 years after it has been made.

I think you need a good five years to really start getting an accurate picture on the great majority. A Quinn Hughes might be in the NHL but defenseman are usually looking at least 4 years to not just get in the league, but really start establishing themselves. Guys from Europe often don’t come over for a few years. They are much tougher for the layman to get seen when overseas and even then it’s different levels of competition.

It’s fun to compare it now, but it’s still going to take awhile.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I’m not sure I agree with that. I went to several MN high school tournaments and I thought the caliber of play was pretty good.

Keep in mind, Lamb went to a small school and played against other smaller schools.

You can think the level of play is whatever it is. The proof is in the draft. You arent seeing first rounders pumped out of Minn HS like you used to. And just so everyone is clear there is a massive difference between a Shattuck and a Minn public high school. Alot of people here seem to not understand that

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's anecdotal, but I saw Adam Fantilli play a few games for KUA in prep school hockey- it was okay development, but at 16 he was already far and away the best player on the ice. Played under Matt Underhill, who is an old friend.

He and his brother moved on when the program was limited due to COVID.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think with MN HS hockey, the point is that even if it's not of a particularly high quality, it's still far better than the high school hockey you see in most states in the country. At my high school, if you wanted to play you had to play for a different high school entirely (that team was actually comprised of kids from four high schools). Even public schools in MN are substantially better they are than in 90% of the rest of the country. Of course they are not on the level of the prep programs, but public MN and NE HS programs are still better than what most people know from their own upbringing.

One of the reasons for the "decline" in non-prep HS hockey is the rise of the USHL and NCAA. For a long time, if you were an American kid, you could try to play Canadian junior or you would play HS and then go to college. The USHL and by extension the USNTDP has grown by leaps and bounds in the past twenty years and is a much more attractive option for kids than it used to be, to the point that the USHL is even considered a viable option for Canadian and European kids. Same goes for NCAA hockey in general.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think you need a good five years to really start getting an accurate picture on the great majority. A Quinn Hughes might be in the NHL but defenseman are usually looking at least 4 years to not just get in the league, but really start establishing themselves. Guys from Europe often don’t come over for a few years. They are much tougher for the layman to get seen when overseas and even then it’s different levels of competition.

It’s fun to compare it now, but it’s still going to take awhile.

Yeah for sure, and I’ve seen enough pissing matches at this place — going back and forth over decades — to know just how much it can change.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah if you're a high school aged kid in the states and have any particularly attention-grabbing skill set, you don't play for your local public high school.

You go to prep schools where the quality is 10x higher, and that still isn't sometimes enough.

Sports are tough. We forget sometimes just how many hundreds of thousands of kids play the sport with maybe 1% ever catching the eye of pro scouts.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
You can think the level of play is whatever it is. The proof is in the draft. You arent seeing first rounders pumped out of Minn HS like you used to. And just so everyone is clear there is a massive difference between a Shattuck and a Minn public high school. Alot of people here seem to not understand that
A lof of Minnesota high school kids do exactly what Lamb is doing - playing their senior season in the USHL or the USNTDP

Reactions: egelband and Fitzy

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
A lof of Minnesota high school kids do exactly what Lamb is doing - playing their senior season in the USHL or the USNTDP

Exactly my point, it didnt use to be like that. Therefore watering the competition down

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

And he starts with:

Quinn Hughes over Rasmus Dahlin is a genuinely terrible take. Dahlin is going to be an absolute stud Dman, and were their team situations reversed, people would already be putting Dahlin on Calder & Norris ballots

EDIT: Oh, it's Wheeler. Of course it was Wheeler. This makes a lot more sense now

Last edited:

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
@Amazing Kreiderman would you be able to ask one of the prospects what the plan is with Dev Camp? We’re basically 1 week from September and still have no word on the roster. I recall us inviting Zac Jones’ teammate from Umass but we still have no idea when it will even happen.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
@Amazing Kreiderman would you be able to ask one of the prospects what the plan is with Dev Camp? We’re basically 1 week from September and still have no word on the roster. I recall us inviting Zac Jones’ teammate from Umass but we still have no idea when it will even happen.

Most prospects plan to travel to Westchester (training facility) mid-September. I think Henriksson's flight is scheduled for Sept 10th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad