Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Updated: 11.25.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You're not far off. The pronunciation of Chmelař is a tricky one though. The "CH" part, similar as in Chytil is pronounced in a way that doesn't exist in the English language. It's similar to the way Germanic languages pronounce the letter G. The closest thing in English is to simply pronounce it as an H though, like they do with Chytil (Heetil).

The last bit is pronounced as "Lahrs".
I seem to hear the "ahrs" sound when it's an ář (like good old Stans Neckář) but more of an "osh" when it's just an ař, like with Matěj Pekař for example. I have no idea if that's a coincidence. I do know however that when I listen to Czech hockey called by people who speak the language fluently, those are two distinct sounds--though I don't know what triggers them (or if it's unintentional by the speaker).

The ch, I just pretend that's an h. We have plenty of English speakers who can make what that sound actually is, but for the majority it's really hard.

EDIT: I forgot EP had a pronunciation feature, so everyone should use that and ignore me. LOL.

Jaroslav Chmelar at eliteprospects.com

That's Chmelař, though. Sounds to me like H-mel-osh. I don't detect the R sound at the end. I do in some of the others, like Neckář who I mentioned. Again I don't know if it's just how it sounds in conversation or whether something makes distinct sounds.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I seem to hear the "ahrs" sound when it's an ář (like good old Stans Neckář) but more of an "osh" when it's just an ař, like with Matěj Pekař for example. I have no idea if that's a coincidence. I do know however that when I listen to Czech hockey called by people who speak the language fluently, those are two distinct sounds--though I don't know what triggers them (or if it's unintentional by the speaker).

The ch, I just pretend that's an h. We have plenty of English speakers who can make what that sound actually is, but for the majority it's really hard.

EDIT: I forgot EP had a pronunciation feature, so everyone should use that and ignore me. LOL.

Jaroslav Chmelar at eliteprospects.com

That's Chmelař, though. Sounds to me like H-mel-osh. I don't detect the R sound at the end. I do in some of the others, like Neckář who I mentioned. Again I don't know if it's just how it sounds in conversation or whether something makes distinct sounds.

All I know is that it reminds me of this again:

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
What's the story with Lamb? He only played at a HS level his draft year, but put up great numbers so they took a gamble on him, or do I have that wrong? I see he is signed to play in the ncaa next year.

Any particular reason he wasn't playing at a higher level and has any other player that's been drafted out of HS had any impact in the NHL? I'm not the best with youth hockey, so i'm honestly not too familiar with scenarios like his. Really looking forward to seeing him develop in any case.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What's the story with Lamb? He only played at a HS level his draft year, but put up great numbers so they took a gamble on him, or do I have that wrong? I see he is signed to play in the ncaa next year.

Any particular reason he wasn't playing at a higher level and has any other player that's been drafted out of HS had any impact in the NHL? I'm not the best with youth hockey, so i'm honestly not too familiar with scenarios like his. Really looking forward to seeing him develop in any case.

Does Kreider count? Looking at the league Lamb played in though:

Alex Stalock
Jake Oettinger
TJ Oshie
Matt Cullen
Jamie Langenbrunner
Jake Guentzel
David Backes
Brock Nelson
Anders Lee

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband and Kords

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yeah lots of guys play high school hockey, particularly in MN and the NE area, and some are drafted straight out of there. Kevin Hayes, Leddy, Bjugstad, Oshie, Kreider, etc. The guys from HS usually then either do a year in the USHL (sometimes two) or go to college. Those regions HS hockey is big, and there are some really competitive prep schools to go with some really competitive public schools.

He obviously has a lot of skill but is incredibly raw, and you could see when he made the jump at the end of the year to the USHL his dominance against HS competition didn't immediately translate. But he's a nice lottery ticket, if he can put even some of his ability to use against better competition he could become a nice prospect.

He'll do another year with Green Bay in the USHL (which is a good program) before going off to Minnesota for NCAA hockey.

EDIT: Riley Hughes took a similar path. Prep hockey in New England then Junior A (BCHL) his D+1 before heading to college.

Reactions: egelband and Kords

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wow, it's more common than I realized I guess. Thank's for the replies!

I think what @nyr2k2 explained points out that it's not like "normal high school hockey" so to speak.

High school hockey at those schools is such a high standard, it's not really comparable to what we know ourselves as high school sports. The USHL path is a common one, and while there's of course never a guarantee for success, a 4th round pick isn't really what you usually use to judge a draft. The chances of hitting on a player in that stage of the draft is slim, so going with pure upside can definitely work. It did for Tampa when they drafted Point in the 3rd.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

a big factor is his age. He doesn’t turn 18 til 8/30 and if he was 2 weeks younger he’d be in next years draft

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
34. Nils Lundkvist, RHD, 21 (New York Rangers — 28th overall, 2018)
Lundkvist is one of a handful of NHL prospects who I’m most fascinated to see where his career ends up because he has played, for the last two years, like one of the best young players in the sport with Lulea. And in just about any organization that would, when combined with his handedness (he’s a righty!), guarantee a path into the kind of role that he’s capable of filling: a top-four defender who runs one of your power plays and can really drive offense while also being relied upon, despite his 5-foot-10 frame, to give you comfortable minutes defensively. But because he’s on the Rangers, he’s going to have to try to find those minutes and that role on a team that already has Adam Fox and Jacob Trouba down the right side, and a similarly constructed player in lefty Zac Jones inevitably vying for power play usage on the left side. And yet despite all of that, I’m still confident Lundkvist will end up where he deserves to be somehow. He’s too good not to. I absolutely adore the way he operates on the ice. He has built upon a solid, efficient foundation by developing a harder point shot (he’s as comfortable stepping into a one-timer as he is walking into the high slot to use his writer), adding a little more tempo to his game, making plays through seems more regularly and escaping with his feet more often.

42. Zac Jones, LHD, 20 (New York Rangers — 68th overall, 2019)
None of the players ranked ahead of Jones were selected after where he was, and only two of the ones that followed were, so Rangers fans should count their lucky stars here. I do think it’s kind of interesting that all three of the prospects who were selected in the third round or later and made the list were defensemen, though. I don’t think that’s a coincidence and anecdotally I’d probably guess that it’s linked to the bigger challenges that still exist in evaluating defensemen (especially teenaged ones) than forwards. But Jones belongs here given everything he has accomplished in the last three years. He just gets it. He understands how to make plays that drive results. He understands how to defend without needing to be big or powerful while doing it. He manufactures offense without ever looking like he’s forcing it. He’s just a functional, methodical defender whose game fits in with the way the NHL game is trending. His ceiling probably tops out as a No. 3 or a No. 4, but I think he can be really good in that kind of role long term.

Honorable Mention: Vitali Kravtsov

NHL top 50 prospects, 2021 edition: Byfield, Caufield and Power headline Wheeler’s drafted skaters ranking

He has Jones ranked higher than Kravstov, no mention of Schneider

Top 50 NHL Prospects - Athletic

Reactions: nyr2k2

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I mean, at least he will get a taste of North American style hockey.

It's way too early, but the experience can't hurt.

Reactions: doming07

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
a big factor is his age. He doesn’t turn 18 til 8/30 and if he was 2 weeks younger he’d be in next years draft

i think this can be a very significant or very irrelevant data point...because while its very true a ton can change in a year at those ages, giving more runway to a guy that close to being in next years draft i think its case by case. like in the case of byfield last year where a lot was made of his late birth date relative to laf i don't think it meant much. he'd played the same amount of hockey, at the same levels, and most importantly he was very physically developed...so to me he kinda was what he was going to be more or less.

whereas in the case of a brett berard i think its pretty meaningful. this is a kid who was on the other side of physical development, so on top of gaining that year for him, you also had a kid who put himself in the position he did despite having played "uphill" if you will into his being drafted giving up a lot of physical advantages. so to me it stands to reason if he's good enough / works for it, he's got a built in tailwind with the impact that physical development will make.

i love the lamb pick just on the surface. i don't know where he stands in that convo, but its not a bad thing to be on the younger side thats for sure regardless. his stats for minn hs are absurd, hard to make sense of there being a level that would happen in there where he wasn't prodigy level. the ushl numbers aren't ideal but theres not much i can really take from them, having seen nothing, other than that he clearly wasn't dominant. beyond that who knows what opportunity he got joining late...no way too know if his play might have led one to think he shoulda had more or if he really struggled with the adjustment.

regardless of anything def the guy i'm most looking forward to following, the kinda pick i love seeing us take a chance on. hopefully he has a big year in the ushl. the only downside is his going to minn - on the one hand reassuring / validating they wanted him - but on the other it seems like virtually zero offensive talent comes outta there.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Amaz- Do you have the entire agreement? Could you send it to me?

There are two possible options. Frölunda and Henriksson terminate their agreement or Frölunda waives their right under 4.1.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Amaz- Do you have the entire agreement? Could you send it to me?

There are two possible options. Frölunda and Henriksson terminate their agreement or Frölunda waives their right under 4.1.

Yes, for Henriksson to play in the AHL he either has to be released from his contract (unlikely) or be waived by his team (more likely).

I will email you the document.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad