Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Our 2015 3rd round has turned into: 2 months of Eric Staal and two ELCs terminated (Kovacs and Zboro)

Our 2015 draft is pretty much Huska and Gropp. Gropp might never make it and Huska has a chance to be an NHL goalie.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Our 2015 3rd round has turned into: 2 months of Eric Staal and two ELCs terminated (Kovacs and Zboro)

Our 2015 draft is pretty much Huska and Gropp. Gropp might never make it and Huska has a chance to be an NHL goalie.
One of the better drafts recently in terms of talent, and this team had arguably the worst draft imaginable 3 years later

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
None of this is surprising considering the picks the Rangers moved in those drafts.

In today's NHL, that step down from the first round is perhaps more noticeable than its ever been.

When you start trading out of the top 30, especially the to 60, your odds of finding talent goes down significantly.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Other guys they could do that with is one of Nell/Halverson or maybe even Pedrie.

maybe, but that move is most often used for European players to go back

also, a UDFA, after 1 pro season, even if they didn't distinguish themselves, can usually have some trade value (see Haggerty), there is always another scout who sees a potential gem there ...

NYR are pretty consistent giving guys a 2d year pro, at least, without cutting bait.
supposedly Pedrie improved 2d half,
but its true that the LHD depth chart for HWP is very deep with Bigras, Gilmour, Day, Lindgren, Hajek, Crawley (and Helgesen is still UDFA I believe)

i have no problem keeping those goalies, i think Greenville proved to be a non-starter as a dev team, hopefully Maine will be better

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Nobody taken after him has amounted to anything. He was a 3rd round pick. Those guys rarely make it.

Sounds like he wanted to go home to Russia.

Yeah I don't usually see the point in complaining about 3rd round picks panning out or not. Turns out he was a bad pick, but so are the vast majority of 3rd round picks. This isn't the NFL.

None of this is surprising considering the picks the Rangers moved in those drafts.

In today's NHL, that step down from the first round is perhaps more noticeable than its ever been.

When you start trading out of the top 30, especially the to 60, your odds of finding talent goes down significantly.

Yuuup, would have been nice to see them hit on some picks though. But it isn't easy when you have only a few

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Given his lack of progress last year his waiver is not a surprise. But with this waiver the Rangers have exactly four right handed defensemen under contract -- Shattenkirk, Pionk, D'Angelo and Kaempfer -- and only one -- Nanne -- in the system. So within the context that the Rangers badly need right handed defensive depth the waiver shows just how far Zborovskiy had fallen in the eyes of the Rangers.

Given all of the draft choices it is inconceivable that the Rangers do not spend one of the higher picks on a right handed defenseman.

Not surprised about that. He's stuck behind way too many players and the Rangers could probably use another roster space. I don't really see a way ahead for him with our team.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Edge is exactly right.

While it is a little early to make a final review of the 2015 draft, using the internet hockey database you see that after Ryan Gropp's selection at pick 41, only 25 selections have played at least 1 NHL game and only 7 have played 20 or more games.

I am not going to defend the Rangers selections in 2015 but the bigger problem was not the selections but the lack of a first round draft choice.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Nobody taken after him has amounted to anything. He was a 3rd round pick. Those guys rarely make it.

Sounds like he wanted to go home to Russia.
Sure, the third round pick might not have produced an NHL player, but it could have produced a solid AHLer that would contribute to the Pack and help them be successful

Again, not a big deal, but they reached for him, and it blew up in their face

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Sure, the third round pick might not have produced an NHL player, but it could have produced a solid AHLer that would contribute to the Pack and help them be successful

Again, not a big deal, but they reached for him, and it blew up in their face
Replacement-level, heck, even good AHL players are a dime a dozen.

The kid was big and raw, and never developed enough to be more than a competent ECHLer. That's the story of many prospects.

Again, no one drafted after him has amounted to much. I don't know how you can say it blew up in their face. They need to have missed out on a player. They didn't. Some drafts just suck. The 2015 draft was pretty barren after the first round.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Keep in mind, if the team is going to be rolling the dice, and passing on some of the "safer" choices, you're going to have some blow ups.

We won't be able to have it both ways. I know we tend to love the concept of taking "big swings" because we love the image of hitting that homerun.

The strong possibility of missing completely and sulking back to the dugout sometimes gets lost in the imagery.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
HAHA

God what a **** pick that was
I have been super critical of Zborovskiy over the past 12 months, mainly because whenever I was critical a particular user with the initials PB would get their panties in a bunch and I'd end up being even more critical than warranted. BUT--this was a fine pick. If he worked out he could have been a good defensive defenseman. Taking him in the third round was totally reasonable.

Also, I don't have the draft tracker up in front of me, but I don't recall anyone of note being taken after him. I'm not surprised he failed because he was too slow and an overall poor skater, but whatever. This is what usually happens with these picks.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have been super critical of Zborovskiy over the past 12 months, mainly because whenever I was critical a particular user with the initials PB would get their panties in a bunch and I'd end up being even more critical than warranted. BUT--this was a fine pick. If he worked out he could have been a good defensive defenseman. Taking him in the third round was totally reasonable.

Also, I don't have the draft tracker up in front of me, but I don't recall anyone of note being taken after him. I'm not surprised he failed because he was too slow and an overall poor skater, but whatever. This is what usually happens with these picks.

upload_2018-6-19_22-54-27.png

There isn't really anything noteworthy on this list aside from maybe Looke.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
just looked at the entire draft.....after the first round most of it has been crap

We talk about the advances in scouting and one of the major outcomes from that is the way it's really pushed the talent to the top of the draft.

Yes there are still gems to be found in later rounds, but more than ever your best and most talented are pretty well concentrated in the top 40 or so, and to a lesser extent the top 60, and pretty well covered by the time you get to around 100.

Obviously there will always be outliers, but unless there's a no part of the world that really explodes with prospects, it's going to remain that way for a while.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
We talk about the advances in scouting and one of the major outcomes from that is the way it's really pushed the talent to the top of the draft.

Yes there are still gems to be found in later rounds, but more than ever your best and most talented are pretty well concentrated in the top 40 or so, and to a lesser extent the top 60, and pretty well covered by the time you get to around 100.

Obviously there will always be outliers, but unless there's a no part of the world that really explodes with prospects, it's going to remain that way for a while.
at this point your gems are players who push themselves past their perceived ceilings, you wont be able to draft a hank in the late rounds anymore because of the increase in visibility to foreign leagues....thats just my opinion

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
at this point your gems are players who push themselves past their perceived ceilings, you wont be able to draft a hank in the late rounds anymore because of the increase in visibility to foreign leagues....thats just my opinion

I think you'll still have it for goalies and scattered late bloomers, but it will fewer and farther between.

Hank is a guy you find like that and people talk about forever because of how rare it is. Even in 2000, that was rare.

But I think for those of us who remember the influx of Russians and Europeans in the 90s, the wild "frontier" days aren't coming back.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I think you'll still have it for goalies and scattered late bloomers, but it will fewer and farther between.

Hank is a guy you find like that and people talk about forever because of how rare it is. Even in 2000, that was rare.

But I think for those of us who remember the influx of Russians and Europeans in the 90s, the wild "frontier" days aren't coming back.
goalies tend to develop the slowest so in that regard you are completely correct

i kinda miss the unknown when it comes to drafting, today that is completely gone

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
goalies tend to develop the slowest so in that regard you are completely correct

i kinda miss the unknown when it comes to drafting, today that is completely gone

It's why there is a selfish part of me that doesn't want to raise the draft age to 19 or 20.

It would REALLY make the draft formulaic --- especially past the top picks.

Reactions: Rangers in 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad