Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
maybe, but that move is most often used for European players to go back

also, a UDFA, after 1 pro season, even if they didn't distinguish themselves, can usually have some trade value (see Haggerty), there is always another scout who sees a potential gem there ...

NYR are pretty consistent giving guys a 2d year pro, at least, without cutting bait.

Given his lack of progress last year his waiver is not a surprise. But with this waiver the Rangers have exactly four right handed defensemen under contract -- Shattenkirk, Pionk, D'Angelo and Kaempfer -- and only one -- Nanne -- in the system. So within the context that the Rangers badly need right handed defensive depth the waiver shows just how far Zborovskiy had fallen in the eyes of the Rangers.

What both of you are pointing out leads me to believe that Zboro asked for the release to go back to Russia and start making money instead of wasting another year between ECHL and AHL.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Honestly, I think the organization really saw this draft as a fail, early, hence why they selected overagers primarily in a similar draft in 2017.

That's just speculation, but interesting to think.... :popcorn:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
OMG, I remember wanting Novak so badly that year!! Shame....

And there will be a bunch of names that we’ll say the same about from the 2018 draft in three years.

The second round and later round debates are almost like the debates we have about mid-range prospects and bottom six forwards — a whole lot of chatter that often doesn’t amount to a substantial payoff.

Daniel Fernholm
Petr Kanko
Jesse Joensuu
Jeremy Morin
Rocco Grimaldi

All were part of someone’s “A Draft” “Future Star” “post draft lament” at some point. With sometimes even more passion than the guy we took with the first.

Meanwhile, a good majority of this board HATED the Derek Stepan pick because it was Darren Olver 2.0.

Debating against the hate for that one was fun.

Ah, good times.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel like Zborovskiy was one of those prospects I was more or less indifferent to. I didn’t hate him, I didn’t like him, I barely noticed he was ever there.

I can’t think of too many prospects who fall into that category for me, and yet there he is.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Some Carolina poster said that he hasn't developed like they were hoping for.

That seems odd. IIRC correctly after being loaned to Lukko, he was injured early and then got off to an ice-cold start before turning it on and posting a pretty solid season all things considered. Then he comes to the US after his season ends and scores six goals and 10 points in nine AHL games. Follows it up with 25 goals and 43 points in his rookie professional campaign; that would put him sixth overall among prospects in AHL goals (and again, he's a rookie prospect). I don't claim to be any expert on Carolina prospects or even Saarela, but he seems to me to be doing okay. If there is something deficient in his game I'd love to know, so I can stop lamenting that Eric Staal deal.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He couldn't skate. And the was probably a step too slow in how he reacted to the game around him. That's fine in the CHL but you'll be exposed as a pro.
Did we have to make the decision on him this season? I feel like giving him one more AHL year couldn't hurt, regardless of my opinions on the kid

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Did we have to make the decision on him this season? I feel like giving him one more AHL year couldn't hurt, regardless of my opinions on the kid
No he was under contract still. We didn't have to make any decision. What I think happened is that the Rangers communicated to him that they didn't see him in their long term plans, that he may have another year in the ECHL ahead of him (or at least back and forth between there and the AHL) and they decided it would be best to just part ways. I also think this is pretty much how it went last year with Stromwall. The Rangers give the guys an opportunity to go back home or to somewhere else in Europe and make some money rather than toiling in the AHL.

An alternative is that Zborovskiy just asked out, and the Rangers didn't see much value in him and elected to let him walk. Either way, same general idea.

The Rangers always let the marginal prospects go if they so desire. I like that about the organization.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
And there will be a bunch of names that we’ll say the same about from the 2018 draft in three years.

The second round and later round debates are almost like the debates we have about mid-range prospects and bottom six forwards — a whole lot of chatter that often doesn’t amount to a substantial payoff.

Daniel Fernholm
Petr Kanko
Jesse Joensuu
Jeremy Morin
Rocco Grimaldi

All were part of someone’s “A Draft” “Future Star” “post draft lament” at some point. With sometimes even more passion than the guy we took with the first.

Meanwhile, a good majority of this board HATED the Derek Stepan pick because it was Darren Olver 2.0.

Debating against the hate for that one was fun.

Ah, good times.

Lol Edge, good names there. I'd add Zach Budish, Patrick O'Sullivan, Rosty Olesz as some funny debates over the years.

And it just wasn't Olver, it was Dube, Inman, Falardeau, Moore, Roche, etc in the 2nd round for years.

I always thought we could have gotten Stepan in the 3rd round, but never mattered, great choice.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lol Edge, good names there. I'd add Zach Budish, Patrick O'Sullivan, Rosty Olesz as some funny debates over the years.

And it just wasn't Olver, it was Dube, Inman, Falardeau, Moore, Roche, etc in the 2nd round for years.

I always thought we could have gotten Stepan in the 3rd round, but never mattered, great choice.

Man, those O'Sullivan debates were intense.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Adam Herman was firing shots at HFBoards and actually called out Pavel Buchnevich (the poster) in particular

AVtn21j

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Zborovskiy was an awful pick and he never really developed at all. His 16/17 season was a Mirage just because he was on a juggernaut who had two of the top 5 (or Close to top 5) offensive lines in the entire CHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->