Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Halverson --- former prospect at this point. Maybe he puts it all together after spending extensive time in the minors, but it won't be here.

Georgiev --- definitely put himself in the conversation to serve as the backup next season. Not sure I see him as an NHL starter, but I would've said the same thing about Talbot when he first started out.

Lettieri --- has the potential to be an energy, bottom-six forward who pops in some points.

Pionk --- still think his longer term potential is probably as a third pair defenseman, albeit as a useful one.

Fogarty --- Never really developed into that two-way bottom six center the Rangers hoped. He's probably moving on.

Gilmour --- IMO, he seems like a AAAA defenseman who shuffles around the league as a placeholder/future journeyman.

I like Georgiev a lot...not that I think he's going to turn it on and be a great starter but
he's only 22 and showed some very good promise at the NHL level. Let's not forget Lundqvist didn't even start playing in the NHL until he was 24 and I think goalies in particular can have more development to do at age 22. I think he has a very strong inside edge as the backup next season and is going to be going neck and neck with Shestyorkin come the start of the 2019 season to get on the roster. He was a real good pickup, plenty of room to grow, and gives the Rangers some insurance in case Shesty takes some time or doesn't work out.

Lettieri, he could be an energy player but I think he has some stuff to improve on first. Runs around a lot. Looks like he's doing a lot but is doing very little, has to find that sweet spot of effort and effectiveness. Good shot and shoot first mentality helps his chances in some ways though.

I think Pionk could be a guy who moves around the lineup. Could be a great 3rd pairing guy, could be a very good fill in at 2nd pairing with the right partner, hard to say. Like people have said he's young and could grow a lot. Being forced into first pairing minutes at the end of last season was interesting but he was clearly over his head even if he flashed some good stuff at times.

Fogarty is probably gone as soon as his contract is up

I agree on Gilmour...he just strikes me as a guy who if he was putting up a lot of points you could overlook his defense and in game IQ, but every time he tries to open it up a bit things go south in other areas of his game and ultimately he's not quite good enough to make it just on his skating alone. BUt also pretty young, could put it together.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hank likely could have played in the NHL rather effectively at age 20- he was already at his top form in Frolunda that year. Too bad in a way because if he had 3 more seasons under his belt he'd be a lock for #2 all time in wins (I know, a flawed stat over time)

I feel like there's an adjusted win list discounting shootouts since 05-06.

The point is, I think we may look back and say that Shesty missed out on a couple seasons that he may have been NHL ready as well.

Still view Lettieri as a relative long shot. His hockey IQ needs a lot of work, and he now has to compete with a whole new slew of similar type right handed players. Still well into the second tier for me after Day but before Crawley and Gettinger.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
I’ve never been this excited for a draft. It can’t come soon enough. I just don’t want to hear a long pause after the selection and the TSN panel saying Rangers go off the board alla 2010. Hoping Wahlstrom falls

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
While it might well be the outcome, at this point your projection undersells Gilmour and oversells Pionk.

I agree on Pionk, but I think the Diaz comparison is apt for Gilmour. Diaz played 201 regular season and 13 playoffs games. Gilmour has played 28 games at age 25. Would he have gotten any games if we didn't have injuries/trades to our defense? He'll probably never be more than a 7th dman. Maybe he can find a role on the bottom pair somewhere for a few years and surpass Diaz's totals.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I like Georgiev a lot...not that I think he's going to turn it on and be a great starter but
he's only 22 and showed some very good promise at the NHL level. Let's not forget Lundqvist didn't even start playing in the NHL until he was 24 and I think goalies in particular can have more development to do at age 22. I think he has a very strong inside edge as the backup next season and is going to be going neck and neck with Shestyorkin come the start of the 2019 season to get on the roster. He was a real good pickup, plenty of room to grow, and gives the Rangers some insurance in case Shesty takes some time or doesn't work out.

Lettieri, he could be an energy player but I think he has some stuff to improve on first. Runs around a lot. Looks like he's doing a lot but is doing very little, has to find that sweet spot of effort and effectiveness. Good shot and shoot first mentality helps his chances in some ways though.

I think Pionk could be a guy who moves around the lineup. Could be a great 3rd pairing guy, could be a very good fill in at 2nd pairing with the right partner, hard to say. Like people have said he's young and could grow a lot. Being forced into first pairing minutes at the end of last season was interesting but he was clearly over his head even if he flashed some good stuff at times.

Fogarty is probably gone as soon as his contract is up

I agree on Gilmour...he just strikes me as a guy who if he was putting up a lot of points you could overlook his defense and in game IQ, but every time he tries to open it up a bit things go south in other areas of his game and ultimately he's not quite good enough to make it just on his skating alone. BUt also pretty young, could put it together.
Yeah, I agree on Georgiev and Pionk.

Georgiev in particular was really good last year imo. He got some really tough games, got shelled more than a few times and looked good overall, great for someone with his experience.

Pionk will give us a better idea this year imo. He was in over his head in a terrible lineup with garbage morale.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I agree on Pionk, but I think the Diaz comparison is apt for Gilmour. Diaz played 201 regular season and 13 playoffs games. Gilmour has played 28 games at age 25. Would he have gotten any games if we didn't have injuries/trades to our defense? He'll probably never be more than a 7th dman. Maybe he can find a role on the bottom pair somewhere for a few years and surpass Diaz's totals.

I'm not high on Gilmour either, but if your underlying consideration re. Pionk allows for as much further development to become Stralman, then doing the same for Gilmour would make him more than much traveled 7th D. Going the opposite direction: if Gilmour projects into Diaz (which is a pretty good reference) then it got to be someone lesser than Stralman for Pionk.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm not high on Gilmour either, but if your underlying consideration re. Pionk allows for as much further development to become Stralman, then doing the same for Gilmour would make him more than much traveled 7th D. Going the opposite direction: if Gilmour projects into Diaz (which is a pretty good reference) then it got to be someone lesser than Stralman for Pionk.
Not at all!

The statement above assumes they're starting out at the same position. But the Pionk I saw last year was already – IMO – showing enough to play as a #4D on a good team, whereas Gilmour looked the part of a classic AAAA player. And yet the former was 22, while the latter was 25.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think Pionk is trending toward a right-handed Torey Krug.

Gilmour (whom I liked in his first camp, and had hopes would develop into a solid 3rd pairing D) is drawing close to the end of his development curve and – again, IMO – looks to be settling in pretty comfortably as a Diaz level player. (Which BTW is not a bad thing. The AHL and ECHL are littered with guys who'd kill to have Diaz's career.)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not at all!

The statement above assumes they're starting out at the same position. But the Pionk I saw last year was already – IMO – showing enough to play as a #4D on a good team, whereas Gilmour looked the part of a classic AAAA player. And yet the former was 22, while the latter was 25.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think Pionk is trending toward a right-handed Torey Krug.

Gilmour (whom I liked in his first camp, and had hopes would develop into a solid 3rd pairing D) is drawing close to the end of his development curve and – again, IMO – looks to be settling in pretty comfortably as a Diaz level player. (Which BTW is not a bad thing. The AHL and ECHL are littered with guys who'd kill to have Diaz's career.)

I am not there yet on the bolded, and who's Diaz if not a "classic AAAA player" which to me is pretty much equal 7th D, maybe a hairline below.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I am not there yet on the bolded, and who's Diaz if not a "classic AAAA player" which to me is pretty much equal 7th D, maybe a hairline below.
Fair enough.

But even if you put them at closer to the same level (and I'm assuming you've got to give Pionk a decent leg up based on their performances to date, no?), there's still the fact that one is already outplaying the other and has the benefit of a 2+ year age difference and commensurate time to develop...

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Had a good opinion on Pionk prior to WC, post WC i rate him even higher. On a good team against decent competition, didn’t stand out which is just fine for a D. Especially one with his experience level. If things stay pat, he’ll be 2nd pairing with Staal most likely. Not a good commentary on our RD depth.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Can you guys give me some insight into these Rangers players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Brandon Halverson
Alexandar Georgiev
Vinni Lettieri
Neal Pionk
Steven Fogarty
John Gilmour
Halverson-calm type of goalie, positionally sound. Doubt he becomes anything at the NHL level

Georgiev-I’m not as high on him as some other people are. Plays a good calm game, I’ll admit I’m terrible at evaluating goalies though. I think he can be a really solid backup though

Lettieri-I actually like his game a lot. Great energy, shoot first guy. Defense can improve but he can be a solid bottom 6er. Good motor and a bit of untapped offensive potential. Doubt he’s more than a fringe NHLer though but I’d like to give him a shot next year with a bit of PP time

Pionk-reminds me of Ryan Ellis. Good offensive creativity, booming shot, solid stick work defensively. Could work on getting stronger and improving defensive IQ but I do like how his defensive game is progressing. Could be a top 4 dman very soon and potential to be a solid 3D who can put up 35 ish points. He also attempts to be physical which is a positive.

Fogarty-solid defensively, 0 offense. Pretty much Hrivik. Doubt he’s an NHLer, maybe if he can improve his offensive game he can be a solid 12-13th forward

Gilmour-dude has insane speed/skating. That’s it. His speed allows him to create chances offensively but his IQ and defensive game are both nonexistent. No chance he’s an NHLer but he’s the best skating Ranger I’ve seen in a long time

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Fair enough.

But even if you put them at closer to the same level (and I'm assuming you've got to give Pionk a decent leg up based on their performances to date, no?), there's still the fact that one is already outplaying the other and has the benefit of a 2+ year age difference and commensurate time to develop...

No doubt.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Question: What exactly can ADA do that Gilmour can't? What makes ADA better other than being a former 1st rounder?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Question: What exactly can ADA do that Gilmour can't? What makes ADA better other than being a former 1st rounder?

ADA is currently much better than Gilmour in the offensive zone, and he has a skillset that should be able to outperform Gilmour at his own game in the defensive zone, if not both the defensive and neutral zones.

He doesn't do that right now, but the hope is that he will figure it out.

I honestly have a difficult time separating the three of them (Pionk included) in how much of a positive impact they could have going forward. This is quite possibly the most important summer in all three of their lives, and I hope they each approach it that way.

Reactions: Phoicon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad