Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 5.12.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
just based off stats, it looks like Raddysh deserves a shot, but he is a RD. I vaguely remember Geersten in training camp. He looked ok , nice size and toughness , no offense and adequate D. His size/toughness would be nice teamed with ADA who could make up for the lack of Geersten offense. You guys that have seen him in Hartford this year what is his skating like? Good, Bad or just Ugly?

The Rangers currently don't hold his contract, Hartford does. Rangers currently have 4 contract openings and I am sure they would like to hold open slots for free agent and other signings.

If we're calling up a Dman from HFD, either it'll be a better one than Geertsen or it'll be him, and we'll be REALLY f***ed by injuries

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Geertsen is trash and skates like he's in cement. He's tough, nasty, and a good teammate. He can "play" wing or D. He has no business even being in the proximity of an NHL ice sheet.

Raddysh is the best of what's left (yes, including Hajek and Rykov) but I don't know if he can play on the left. Nick Ebert is also pretty decent, again tough he's a RD--however I'm fairly certain he has played on the left.

Reactions: egelband and dumpin

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I’d second what @nyr2k2 said. Besides, K’Andre seems to get systematic hockey. Think Knoblauch can teach him the system and still be able to show off his talent.

Also think, ATM, K’Andre is way better than some defenders Hartford has already (*cough* LoVerde)

This is why it's a shame you can't be called up from college for a cup of coffee just to see what would make the most sense for his development.

My gut says NYR management wants him to turn pro after this season. Regardless, i really hope he doesn't get rushed. Much better for him to overcook slightly than undercook.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Barron was pointless but otherwise was very good. That's probably the difference between this year and last year. There was a visible difference in the way he played if he got a point. Now he's just bullying people and creates 3-4 A+ chances a game whether he scores or not.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Wisconsin keeps their winning streak going, winning 3-2 tonight. Miller didnt have any points.

Hughes and Northeastern lost 4-2. No points for him.

Jones and UMASS lost 3-2. He had an assist.

Wall stopped 24 of 26 in a 2-2 tie.

Kjellberg and RPI won 2-0. No points for him.

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Geertsen is trash and skates like he's in cement. He's tough, nasty, and a good teammate. He can "play" wing or D. He has no business even being in the proximity of an NHL ice sheet.

Raddysh is the best of what's left (yes, including Hajek and Rykov) but I don't know if he can play on the left. Nick Ebert is also pretty decent, again tough he's a RD--however I'm fairly certain he has played on the left.

I honestly think Raddysh deserves a call up at some point. He’s been the most consistent player for Hartford, despite not putting up points.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
This is why it's a shame you can't be called up from college for a cup of coffee just to see what would make the most sense for his development.

My gut says NYR management wants him to turn pro after this season. Regardless, i really hope he doesn't get rushed. Much better for him to overcook slightly than undercook.

I mean it makes sense on the NCAA standard. You need to be in school in order to receive your scholarships and whatnot. If a player views hockey to be more important they sign their ELC.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The points from Robertson are a bonus, and certainly welcome. Ironically, it was him coming in somewhat under expectations offensively last year that pushed him in the second to begin with.

Having said that, I’m not quite as focused on the offensive numbers for Robertson, though I think he’ll get his share here and there as a pro. What I am focused on is how he clicks with some of our RDs. Because if he can find chemistry, I think he’s potentially a guy who we could see in the NHL next season.

With Keane gone, Robertson is my new guy for people not to sleep on too much. I see a lot of a young Marc Staal in him, with better skating that is reflective of the NHL in 2020 vs. 2007.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The points from Robertson are a bonus, and certainly welcome. Ironically, it was him coming in somewhat under expectations offensively last year that pushed him in the second to begin with.

Having said that, I’m not quite as focused on the offensive numbers for Robertson, though I think he’ll get his share here and there as a pro. What I am focused on is how he clicks with some of our RDs. Because if he can find chemistry, I think he’s potentially a guy who we could see in the NHL next season.

With Keane gone, Robertson is my new guy for people not to sleep on too much. I see a lot of a young Marc Staal in him, with better skating that is reflective of the NHL in 2020 vs. 2007.

This is what I have been saying. With the amount of talent they have on the right they dont need a game changer on the left. Give me 3 Lindgren types and that has the making of one of the top defenses in the league.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is what I have been saying. With the amount of talent they have on the right they dont need a game changer on the left. Give me 3 Lindgren types and that has the making of one of the top defenses in the league.

I think if we can find a veteran LD to bridge some of the transition time, and have two of Lindgren, Robertson, Hajek or Rykov fall in line behind, we’ll be all the better for it.

I don’t think that guy has to be a superstar, but I would prefer an upgrade over what Skjei was. That would be my ideal path forward, though obviously it depends on who is available. But if someone like Brodin were to be made available, he’s the type I would move some young pieces to acquire.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Remember when Marc Staal was our best prospect? Robertson is probably closer to 10 right now, it's shocking. (Or at least was before the graduation of KK and Shesty).

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Remember when Marc Staal was our best prospect? Robertson is probably closer to 10 right now, it's shocking. (Or at least was before the graduation of KK and Shesty).

That’s why I really like him as the kid we force ourselves to keep an eye on. This was a guy who seen as a legit top-20 pick this time last year. Due to a number of factors, he slipped. And that slippage was our good fortune.

But he’s a really good, if unspectacular prospect who could play in the NHL for a long time if he progresses up to his full ability.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think if we can find a veteran LD to bridge some of the transition time, and have two of Lindgren, Robertson, Hajek or Rykov fall in line behind, we’ll be all the better for it.

I don’t think that guy has to be a superstar, but I would prefer an upgrade over what Skjei was. That would be my ideal path forward, though obviously it depends on who is available. But if someone like Brodin were to be made available, he’s the type I would move some young pieces to acquire.

Makes sense, but what do you want to pay for Brodin, who has 1 year left and will be 28 when his new contract starts? I get that what your saying and it doesn't have to be him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
And rightfully so. If he was in our system now, he'd be right there with Miller and Lundkvist.

Crazy to see how far we've come though. And without half the re-building pains that we could of possibly expected.

Interesting reference, made me think about Skjei who was the last Rangers drafted defenseman who made it onto their roster and who was drafted close to Lundkvist’s spot and so not too behind Miller. If we try to match them in their D+2 year, Skjei would be in a lower level group from these two our current prospects.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Makes sense, but what do you want to pay for Brodin, who has 1 year left and will be 28 when his new contract starts? I get that what your saying and it doesn't have to be him.

You’re correct, it doesn’t have to be. He’s only one option, though I think his style would very much compliment what we have on the right side. On the plus side, his next contract comes after we free up a bunch of space: post Lundqvist, Staal, etc.

As for price, I’d consider Buch, next year’s first, one of our young defensemen, and other assets for inclusion.

Reactions: Ola

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@Edge Just to verify, are you comparing Staal's and Robertson's styles or styles and impacts?

Young Marc Staal was a beast of a prospect and if it's a realistic possibility that we pulled a guy of that level out of the second round, that would be phenomenal!

A little bit of both, but primarily style.

Staal was a better at positioning and boxing forwards out at the same age, and overall was a better prospect, but Robertson also has some advantages over him - namely skating and decision making with the puck.

But they very much remind me of each other.

Robertson isn’t the flashiest under 20 player we have, but I’ll be damned if he isn’t one of the ones I am looking forward to following the most.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Staal played two WJC without being on for a goal against. He made the NHL and was a No 1 D for a team that made the POs.

Torts really wrecked these guys on D. They were ordered to just fire the puck up ice, then back down and block shots.

All the injuries.

I think we forget just how good Staal once was because we’ve seen the damaged version for so long at this point.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Interesting reference, made me think about Skjei who was the last Rangers drafted defenseman who made it onto their roster and who was drafted close to Lundkvist’s spot and so not too behind Miller. If we try to match them in their D+2 year, Skjei would be in a lower level group from these two our current prospects.

Skjei never did take that next step to reach those guys levels as prospects,unfortunately. I was optimistic about him as a "Mcdonagh-lite", but he never quite emerged as that.

Miller and Lundkvist have both taken those steps forward, and deserve being in the top tier of our D prospects over the last couple decades.

Personally, the only prospect I've been more excited about than Staal since the 2004 lockout is Kakko. Miller and Lundkvist are certainly in the vicinity though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce