Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 11.15.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I'm really looking forward to seeing Barron as a pro. In terms of tools and style of play he's a pretty darn unique player in the organization.

could Barron be a Kreider type? not the inconsistencies in his game. does he have good speed for a big guy? is he physical on a consistent basis and is he good along the boards

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
could Barron be a Kreider type? not the inconsistencies in his game. does he have good speed for a big guy? is he physical on a consistent basis and is he good along the boards

It's hard to compare any player to Kreider given his unique physical gifts, but Barron does play a game that uses his size and strength to his advantage. He's very strong along the boards and shields the puck very well with his body. He doesn't shy away from laying the body but I don't see him as a guy who will rely on his size to make an impact as a pro.

His skating of course isn't Kreider level but it's definitely a strong point. Good edges, top speed, acceleration, and a pretty nimble first step from what I've seen. I always like players who can not only win a battle and create separation for themselves quickly, but then go ahead and make a play with the puck. I think that's one of Barron's best attributes.

There's enough of a package there that I can definitely see a path to a top-six winger who can pot 20 goals playing with some of the talent we have in the org. A safer projection is probably a 3rd line guy who lives in that 15G/35P range. Time will tell though.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
It's hard to compare any player to Kreider given his unique physical gifts, but Barron does play a game that uses his size and strength to his advantage. He's very strong along the boards and shields the puck very well with his body. He doesn't shy away from laying the body but I don't see him as a guy who will rely on his size to make an impact as a pro.

His skating of course isn't Kreider level but it's definitely a strong point. Good edges, top speed, acceleration, and a pretty nimble first step from what I've seen. I always like players who can not only win a battle and create separation for themselves quickly, but then go ahead and make a play with the puck. I think that's one of Barron's best attributes.

There's enough of a package there that I can definitely see a path to a top-six winger who can pot 20 goals playing with some of the talent we have in the org. A safer projection is probably a 3rd line guy who lives in that 15G/35P range. Time will tell though.
Doesn't the comp always come circling back to Brian Boyle?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Barron makes plays (not just scoring goals) around the net and I think his size and hands will allow him to continue doing it at the next level. Middle 6 should be pretty reasonable.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I will say that like Coz, I don't really project him as a top six forward. I'm not quite sure he has the wheels or the vision for that type of role.

But I can definitely see him as a middle six winger who plays a straight ahead north-south type game that could be a good compliment to some of the finesse-oriented players we have in the system.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I am not sure that: Boyle has better speed or better hands. Equally, I am not sure Barron has Boyle's edge.

That's why I said the easiest one could make a comparison on is Boyle. I don't think it's accurate. Just don't have the time to form a full post.

We're in agreement. :)

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
seems reasonable when checking BB's ##'s at BC
Brian Boyle (b.1984) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

SeasonTeamLgeGPGAPtsPIM
2003-04Boston CollegeH-East3553836
2004-05Boston CollegeH-East401982764
2005-06Boston CollegeH-East4222305290
2006-07Boston CollegeH-East42193453104
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Well yeah points wise, you could see the similarities. Style of play though doesn't bring that out. I agree with @True Blue in that Boyle has an edge to his game. Not sure Barron is as aggressive. The speed will get there, hands might not. Still rooting for him to succeed, either way.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
The skating is my biggest concern overall for Barron going forward. He's not bad by any means but I said it last time he's a guy who'll get labeled "Good skater for his size".

During his freshman year I used the Boyle comp because I didn't see the offense, but now I think he's much more skilled than Boyle is. Still not sure it's enough to crack a good top-6 and right now his absolute peak to me is as a second liner but he's exceeded expectations every year so far.

Reactions: Joey Bones and Edge

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
What do you think Aaltonin and Henrikksson project as? Third liners?

Henriksson? Middle 6 for Hartford at best if he doesn’t pick it up. Robin Kovacs was a .77ppg his D+1 in the Allsvenskan and he would have topped out there.

Aaltonen? Not offered. Too small, not nearly enough scoring(as a proxy for skill) to make up for it.

Added: Reunanen? 2nd pair in Hartford at best. Not enough skill for 1st pair

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think it's easy to look at Brian Boyle now and not understand how good offensively he was at BC. I watched just about every game of his college career. He was a really good offensive player, great vision, and his shot was just too heavy for most NCAA goalies.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think it's easy to look at Brian Boyle now and not understand how good offensively he was at BC. I watched just about every game of his college career. He was a really good offensive player, great vision, and his shot was just too heavy for most NCAA goalies.

Clap bomb Boyle is what all the kids called him

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Barron seems like a great 3. wheel on any line. The guy you can put with 2 skill players on the 1. line to give some size and strenght, and can also be a part of a 3. line shutdown line and play 1. PK. Hopefully able to play the Callahan role and not only the Boyle role on the team (compared to the 2010-2014 teams).

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Maybe he ends up as a third liner but I think we would be better off if a guy like this was our 4c.

Zibby
Chytil
Stutzle (hopefully)
Barron

Trade Howden and Andersson.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Really excited for Barron - hes a captain too and the Rangers need more born leaders in the lineup going forward. Pair that with K Miller coming up, what we've seen of Fox, Kakko, Chytil and the rest of the kids this is gonna be treat to watch...

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
seems reasonable when checking BB's ##'s at BC
Brian Boyle (b.1984) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

SeasonTeamLgeGPGAPtsPIM
2003-04Boston CollegeH-East3553836
2004-05Boston CollegeH-East401982764
2005-06Boston CollegeH-East4222305290
2006-07Boston CollegeH-East42193453104
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I am the NCAA's biggest fan of hockey, but it behooves us to take college productivity with a large grain of sea salt.

Obviously if a player isn't scoring (Nanne) it's pretty much curtains, but like in the Canadian Juniors, there are certain types of players without a ton of NHL potential putting up big numbers.

Boyle also to my recollection played a lot on defense at BC. He was the point man on the powerplay in 2007. Helped knock SLU out of the NCAA tourney.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
How about a worse skating Benoit Pouliot for Barron? Or is that totally off base? I can't say I've ever watched him play before so just going off of how his upside is described.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
How about a worse skating Benoit Pouliot for Barron? Or is that totally off base? I can't say I've ever watched him play before so just going off of how his upside is described.
It's been awhile since I've seen Pouliot play, but I think in terms of value and future role, it's a solid comp (I'm thinking of peak Rangers Pouliot when he played with Bras and Zucc.)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Brian Boyle has pretty good hands when it comes to finishing plays but he's never been a very creative player as far as making plays. Boyle used to get trashed here for not being physical enough but he is a very physical player just on size and strength and getting into areas along the boards and corners and in front of the net. He's not afraid to go anywhere. He's a very good face-off guy and excellent defensively. A really good player to have when defending a lead.

A lot of the above is an unknown when it comes to comparing Barron to Boyle and won't be known until Barron takes the step into the pros and then the next step into the NHL. I think he'll be a player but what kind of player is a guessing game at this point. He could turn into a Boyle but he also could turn into a Taylor Pyatt.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Tarmo had an assist and 3 shots, but was on-ice for 4 goals and finished -3.

Aaltonen didn't play.

Henriksson and Ragnarsson are in action currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig