Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 11.15.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
@egelband @Tawnos @NYSPORTS Just a little clarification on Tim Kerr and then I'll bring it back to Barron to keep this post relevant.

Tim Kerr was 31 when he joined the Rangers. As we all know, 31 for an NHL power forward is also known as "the 31 club" or the equivalent of the "27 club" for all those rock stars who passed away at that age in the 60s/70s (and 90s too). He was physically beat up and it had more to do with getting cross checked and hacked and wacked for a a decade than any other circumstance. Look at Wayne Simmonds now or what happened to Rick Nash by the time he got to that age. Separately it was tragic his wife passed away.

He was left unprotected by the Flyers and taken by the Sharks. Rangers traded Brian Mullen for him because they were trying to redo their top 6 after two years in a row having excellent regular seasons but getting pushed around in the playoffs by the more physical Capitals.

Barron is a much better skater and playmaker. I think he'll be overall more versatile than Kerr was, but not have as high an offensive ceiling. He's def going to be a PKer and probably on PP2. Kerr scored 40-50 because of the era he played in when goaltending wasn't as good as it is today. If he was 10 years younger he probably would have had similar stats to a Milan Lucic. If Kerr was exactly the player he was then today, he probably wouldn't be in the NHL with the emphasis so much on skating. Barron can skate.

Reactions: egelband

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There's no harm in Miller staying one more season. He'll be 21 and even more physically developed, and he can make his crack at a main roster spot after Staal and Smith are off the books, and Skjei will only have three years left and be super tradeable.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think Miller having an excellent rookie year probably had some folks starting the clock a year or two early. I think he's a 3 year college player with likely a year in the AHL before he's ready for NHL minutes. The good news is the Rangers have enough LHD at the pro level right now that they don't need to rush him.

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think Miller having an excellent rookie year probably had some folks starting the clock a year or two early. I think he's a 3 year college player with likely a year in the AHL before he's ready for NHL minutes. The good news is the Rangers have enough LHD at the pro level right now that they don't need to rush him.

i think that is the biggest key...we don't need to rush anyone

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If Barron continues to score over 1.5 ppl this season (he’s well over) - he has done everything in terms of dominating in college that could be asked of him based on all of his contributions over the tenure. Doesn’t need to get bigger, stronger or improve his 200 ft game at this level.

Needs to go to the next level next season whether in the AHL or directly in the NHL.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
At this point in his progression, the only reason Barron would stay is if he really wants to win a championship (assuming they don't this year). We talk about going up a level after you dominate your current level, and to me there's no real point in staying next year in regards to getting better. I think he'll be better served in the AHL next year.

I think ultimately Poehling is probably similar to Barron but he's also roughly the same age and was in college a year earlier so it's kind of tricky to compare their progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad