Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.12.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sjalin was scoreless. On the other side, Henriksson was back on the top line but was also (again) scoreless.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sjalin was scoreless. On the other side, Henriksson was back on the top line but was also (again) scoreless.

He did have a goal overturned unfortunately. Sucks, but he has been the most impressive Rangers prospect in Europe for me. Definitely exceeding expectations

Reactions: romba

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Man, can the season start already?

I know we’re following kids playing in men’s pro leagues, but seeing multiple goose eggs every day is really getting exhausting.

Our guys are either MIA (literally, as in we have no idea where they are) or are basically just ice time sponges thus far. :thumbd:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Man, can the season start already?

I know we’re following kids playing in men’s pro leagues, but seeing multiple goose eggs every day is really getting exhausting.

Our guys are either MIA (literally, as in we have no idea where they are) or are basically just ice time sponges thus far. :thumbd:

Zac Jones is starting this week. Riley Hughes and Brett Berard the following week.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Development is going to be odd and non-linear these next couple years. I think you're going to see some huge surprises.

With COVID's resurgence, players are essentially marinating in their own little bubbles. It's going to be really interesting who rises and falls. I think you're going to see who really needs that team structure, and who is able to find that motivation internally to train. Additionally, you might see players get truly healthy. Teams like the Rangers who are known to pick for personality and work ethic might get rewarded with a couple gems.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Development is going to be odd and non-linear these next couple years. I think you're going to see some huge surprises.

With COVID's resurgence, players are essentially marinating in their own little bubbles. It's going to be really interesting who rises and falls. I think you're going to see who really needs that team structure, and who is able to find that motivation internally to train. Additionally, you might see players get truly healthy. Teams like the Rangers who are known to pick for personality and work ethic might get rewarded with a couple gems.

This is by no means a guarantee, but having players in the system who come from hockey families might have a slight edge here when it comes to facing adversity and having to practice alone because they have a father (Berard, Kjellberg, Tärnström), brother (Zibanejad, Lindgren, Howden, Själin), uncle (Lundkvist, Gauthier) etc to support them knowing what it's like to be a pro athlete. Having that help in the family and to stay motivated, could be the deciding factor for some players during a lockdown.

Definitely an interesting development to track if things turn sour in terms of lockdowns, cancelled games etc.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Honestly, between the impact on player development and draft prep, I think the various prospect crops from this era could look very interesting in a few years.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rogle (Edstrom's team) has a bunch of positives, their games have been postponed through at least the end of the week.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pajuniemi, Reunanen, and Kravtsov all scoreless.

Ollas dressed as the backup for his SHL team a few days ago. He may just hang around with them until January when hopefully the J20 league is allowed to start up again. Tärnström, as mentioned, was also in J20 but was loaned to a HockeyEttan club.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Leevi Aaltonen was loaned to IPK in Mestis. Not great.
Aaltonen was a pick I really liked on draft day, but he's seemed wholly unable to adapt to steps up in level of play. Super disappointing thus far. Kid has great wheels and the tools are there.

As far as the loan, if KalPa isn't going to give him (or he hasn't earned) more icetime, IPK is fine. That league should be way too easy for him though at this point. As you said, not great, but not the death knell for his career, IMO (yet).

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Aaltonen was a pick I really liked on draft day, but he's seemed wholly unable to adapt to steps up in level of play. Super disappointing thus far. Kid has great wheels and the tools are there.

As far as the loan, if KalPa isn't going to give him (or he hasn't earned) more icetime, IPK is fine. That league should be way too easy for him though at this point. As you said, not great, but not the death knell for his career, IMO (yet).
Yes, fair assessment. Mestis is not terrible but it is still a league where lots of guys have day jobs, so someone with legitimate, high-level aspirations should do very well (like when Reunanen just played there). He did score 2 goals his first game, so hopefully a sign of better things.

Reactions: Beer League Sniper

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Reg Tärnström: His loan is temporary and he can play for both AIK in Allsvenskan and Tyresö in HockeyEttan.

He has been in quarantine for a week after testing positive but will be cleared in 2 days to rejoin the team. He will practice with both AIK and Tyresö

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The first game in Mestis, Aaltonen gets 2 goals. Maybe a systems thing with KalPa?
Mestis isn't a very good league. It's like semi-pro. Most of the guys there aren't full-time hockey players. Aaltonen is still very young, but any prospect worth his salt should be able to play well there. He had PP1 time and played 15 minutes. He'll be a featured player in Mestis whereas he was on the fourth line in Liiga playing 5-7 minutes most nights.

Reactions: egelband

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The first game in Mestis, Aaltonen gets 2 goals. Maybe a systems thing with KalPa?
It's anecdotal, but his speed is too much of an asset at that level, IMO. In lower levels. players can use their one or two really elite skills to mask their deficiencies. When level of play goes up and the players you're up against are all "good" skaters, your elite skating alone won't make up for the weak areas of your game.

I admit to not having watched Aaltonen outside twitter gifs, but I would suspect he hasn't "figured out" how to play an effective game against men who are bigger, stronger, and more well-rounded players who can take steps to neutralize his speed. You see kids all the time who struggle to make the jump to pro hockey from juniors. Sometimes, they eventually figure it out. I would suspect something similar is going on with Aaltonen.

Reactions: Harbour Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad